PDA

View Full Version : need advice re safety glass please .... in a panic

emmaflossie
08-02-2010, 07:41 PM
ok so stupidly i have done all the paper work got all the equipment and awaiting pre-reg inspection on wednesday ... and i have just checked the glass on my patio door and windows (i live in rented accomodation)
The patio door is huge and pans the entire width of the house and i cant see a kits mark on it!!?!?!?! what on earth can i do, it will cost a small fortune to safety seal it . I have looked in the dark so will have a look again tomorrow but its an old alu framed door so i cant see it being kite marked and it doesnt look like any of the windows are in the rest of the house?

sweets
08-02-2010, 07:48 PM
i didnt have a kite mark on mine either. My DO said i could either put safety film on it or call a double glazing firm out to assess it and they will give you a headed note to say its safe. i chose to film it as its not that big. but in your case it might be worth getting someone out to check it first, it will prob be cheaper for you than filming it.

emmaflossie
08-02-2010, 08:20 PM
i have checked other windows properly and they have the kite mark .... so only the back patio door that is going to cause me a prob .... which is being replaced in september so gonna drive me mad to have topay out for the plastic stuff ... it would worry me to get someone round and for them to say its fine and then it shatters :(
anyone have tips on where to get the film from the door measures 214cm high and there is 3 panels which are 107 cms wide in total!?!

Curly Quavers
08-02-2010, 08:59 PM
I don't think you have a lot to worry about I worked in glass about 10 years ago and at that time it was the LAW that all doors must have toughed glass - safety glass for doors. Since you are in rented accommodation also they need to make sure the glass is up to regulation standard.

Do you know how old the doors are?

clairebear
08-02-2010, 09:14 PM
I only thought of this today! I have a conservatory and currently use it as my childrens playroom, Once childminding it will be used by all the children. Mine doesnt have kite mark on and i am also in rented accomadation, Do i need to get the safety film and if so where do i find it?

Blaze
08-02-2010, 09:19 PM
As far as I'm aware if the panel is over 1m in size then it's safety glass.

emmaflossie
08-02-2010, 09:21 PM
i would say at least 20 years old?? they are the old aluminium frame and def do not have a kite mark .... the res tof the windows have been replaced with the dark pvc frames

ZoeAlli
08-02-2010, 09:24 PM
My dh (a qualified joiner) has said that if the doors are 1980's/ 1990's they should be ok, also if they are double glazed it reduces the chance of them breaking. He also said that they maybe laminated (pre-kitemark) rather than toughened but it does the same job. However, if you want to be safe then you can get good sized sheets of safety film from Mothercare, or see if you can get someone to look at it and give you a written note.

emmaflossie
08-02-2010, 09:30 PM
thank you for al your comments i will wait and see what she says on wednesday maybe she will be more clued up than i am on what glass it is lol
Im hoping then that they will be ok as they are def double glazed.

I have an excellent relationship with my landlord and who said we will look at replacing the kitchen floor in september, he has a quote for £600 but i have already asked if instead of that if he could get the doors done, so chances are they will be replaced in september hence why i dont realy want to spend a fortune out on them now lol

will check out the price from mothercare

miffy
08-02-2010, 09:43 PM
You can get safety film from e-bay too - might be cheaper than mothercare.

Do you think your landlord might be prepared to replace the doors before September?

Miffy xx

emmaflossie
08-02-2010, 10:04 PM
its a possability ... my contract is up 19th march so i guess i have a good stead there if he wants to keep me lol

he came round to see me before christmas and was very impressed with what i had done and he knows that i wanted to childmind from here so i guess its possible. If they set you an action to do how long do you get to complete it?
Will they release your certificate without the actions being done?