PDA

View Full Version : How to easily make this?

venus89
08-02-2010, 04:22 PM
My son wants to dress as one of these dancers for Book Day - how can I very very simply (and fairly cheaply) make one? Is there an existing jacket, for instance, I can adapt...... Any ideas? Please? :panic:

TheBTeam
08-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Dont you just love them when they drop these little bombshells on you! Sorry no help i know!

Lou
08-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Sorry I cant help, I am hopeless at things like that, just wanted to say good luck!!!

When is book day?

mamasheshe
08-02-2010, 04:29 PM
dressing gown and a swimming hat??:laughing: :laughing: red of course

venus89
08-02-2010, 04:30 PM
dressing gown and a swimming hat??:laughing: :laughing: red of course

Funnily enough we had thought of the dressing gown :laughing:

Tink
08-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Oh how nice of your son to choose such a simple design:eek:

Merry-Minder
08-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Crikey - its a tricky one!

How about a long piece of fabric cut a head hole and wear it like a poncho then cut a belt out of the same material??? - as for the arms and hat - sorry cant think

- not really much help:blush:

wendywu
08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
You need to hit the charity shops or look in your local papers for a jumble sale.

You need a skirt, leggings or tights a long sleeve top and some sort of jacket you can chop the arms off.

Good luck,:D

ZoeAlli
08-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Crikey - its a tricky one!

How about a long piece of fabric cut a head hole and wear it like a poncho then cut a belt out of the same material??? - as for the arms and hat - sorry cant think

- not really much help:blush:

That was what I was thinking too!!. For the arms you could get an adult size long sleeved t-shirt and tack the ruffles in (if you want to make them more noticeable you could put some rope in the ruffles before you tack it). The hat looks like it is a bandana, if you get enough material you could cut a triangle off it to make the headdress. Hope you get it sorted and that all goes well! :)

Chimps Childminding
08-02-2010, 04:57 PM
That was what I was thinking too!!. For the arms you could get an adult size long sleeved t-shirt and tack the ruffles in (if you want to make them more noticeable you could put some rope in the ruffles before you tack it). The hat looks like it is a bandana, if you get enough material you could cut a triangle off it to make the headdress. Hope you get it sorted and that all goes well! :)

Good idea!

venus89
08-02-2010, 07:11 PM
You need to hit the charity shops or look in your local papers for a jumble sale.

You need a skirt, leggings or tights a long sleeve top and some sort of jacket you can chop the arms off.

Good luck,:D

Our local charity shop has shut!!!! I always make the kids' Book Day outfits from there and now it's shut :panic:

venus89
08-02-2010, 07:12 PM

He can do the bandana - they learnt how to make them at Beaver 'camp'. I like the long sleeved Tshirt (or shirt?) idea - thank you. By the time I've made it ruffly it will be his size!

jojane
08-02-2010, 07:49 PM
kids never make it easy. my 3 year old was going to a party. asked him what he wanted to dress up as ( we have lots and lots of dress up stuff) but no the day before he decided he wanted to go as spongebob and no amount of bribery would change his mind!! there was me all afternoon with a cardboard box, yellow tissue paper and bits making spongebob!! wouldnt have minded as it was actually quite good but he fell asleep on the way there and refused to wear the costume until the last 10min!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sunflower
08-02-2010, 07:55 PM
You could always do a running stitch on the sleeves ( to gather sleeves up)

Heaven Scent
08-02-2010, 07:56 PM
You could do with a big flaired skirt or dress then add the t-shirt then get a long scarf and wind it round his waist - and as you say he can do the bandana himself - and add some thick tights or leggins I cant think what else to say

try the clearance section of this website
http://www.yoursclothing.co.uk/ShoppingBasket.aspx

Family or friends may be able to help with lending clothes or may have stuff stashed away at the backs of wardrobes.

venus89
08-02-2010, 08:02 PM
You could do with a big flaired skirt or dress then add the t-shirt then get a long scarf and wind it round his waist - and as you say he can do the bandana himself - and add some thick tights or leggins I cant think what else to say

try the clearance section of this website
http://www.yoursclothing.co.uk/ShoppingBasket.aspx

Family or friends may be able to help with lending clothes or may have stuff stashed away at the backs of wardrobes.

Thank you!! I'm currently browsing ebay too..... The boots I'm struggling with - as he'll be wearing it to school then they'll need to be boots to keep his feet warm and dry.

I haven't even begun to think about my daughters' 'Cats' outfit yet :panic:

Daisy1956
08-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Cat - black tights, leotard, make the tail from kitchen roll with fluffy piece on the end. Ears on a headband.