PDA

View Full Version : observations

ss1983
07-02-2010, 09:01 PM
hi
when you write a observation are you allowed to write other childrens names in it if they playing together, if they are your own children that are playing with the mindee child that you are doing the observation on?
also what sort of things should we out in it?
if i do an observations and it comes under more than one area of the eyfs what section should i out it in,
do you have a folder with the eyfs grids in and when you do an observation you hightlight the area and date it with the observation,
say you do an observation and you look at the area of development and the age stage and it dont come under anything do you just put it in the section?
sorry new to this,:)

sarah707
07-02-2010, 09:13 PM
hi
when you write a observation are you allowed to write other childrens names in it if they playing together, if they are your own children that are playing with the mindee child that you are doing the observation on?

The world has gone mad!

A member on here was pulled up for mentioning her own children's names in a mindee's diary!!

So no, best not... just say 'a friend'

also what sort of things should we out in it?

Notes about achievements, children's pictures, photos showing new things the child is doing, wow moments that make you want to share them with parents etc.

Anything that shows how fab the child is and how well he is achieving.

if i do an observations and it comes under more than one area of the eyfs what section should i out it in,

I tend to link to the main area ... but you can link it to more than one if you want!

It's totally up to you

do you have a folder with the eyfs grids in and when you do an observation you hightlight the area and date it with the observation,

Yes pretty much. Any dates you add for a child achieving something need backing up with evidence.

say you do an observation and you look at the area of development and the age stage and it dont come under anything do you just put it in the section?

The Eyfs can't contain everything a child does or says... so yes sometimes you have to make a 'best guess'.

Don't worry so much about it, it comes together a lot quicker the more you do it!

sorry new to this,:)

Don't apologise either... we all had to learn once. :D

sarah707
07-02-2010, 09:14 PM
You might find this thread helpful :D

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=1924847

ss1983
07-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Don't apologise either... we all had to learn once. :D

so i need to go back to the ones i have done and take my childs name out of it, so shall i just start it from now
i no cant do anything anymore, i plan activities everyday i dont always do them but the ones i do do , do i have to do observations on every activitiy?

sarah707
07-02-2010, 09:40 PM
No you don't need to observe every activity.

It should just roll along...

Observation leads to planning ... leads to another observation or one about the planning... leads to more planning.

You do not need to plan everything nor do you need to observe everything.

What Ofsted are looking for is how you show the child is progressing... how you have got to grips with the Eyfs and can show that the activities you provide really help the child to achieve.

:D

dobby
07-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Whats the situation with siblings then? I have twins one day a week who play together exclusivley most of the time - they are sociable in group settings but when here they are often the oldest during the day and will both play together or play together with the baby - am i not allowed to mention their brother/sister either???

sarah707
07-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Whats the situation with siblings then? I have twins one day a week who play together exclusivley most of the time - they are sociable in group settings but when here they are often the oldest during the day and will both play together or play together with the baby - am i not allowed to mention their brother/sister either???

In the past I have put xx (brother) or xx (sister) or even xx (my child).

That was until a minder on here said she'd been marked down for using her own child's name... it was 'in case' she forgot one day and used a minded child's name by mistake!

it was in a diary as well, not even a learning journey.

The inspector talked about it being a confidentiality issue.

I do not know what to advise any more to be honest.

I cannot imagine every inspector would be so picky but I just don't know and certainly don't want to suggest the wrong thing.

In the case of siblings I do still put xx (brother) etc but usually avoid the issue altogether for fear of getting it wrong :rolleyes:

Hth :D

Looby Lou76
08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
when I had my inspection in April 2009, the inspector said my EYFS profiles were excellent, she liked the format of the observation slips and how I reviewed and planned for future play activities. She spent ages looking throug and reading the profiles and never once mentioned the fact that I had used other children's names in the observations.

I wish all inspectors sang from the same hym sheet:rolleyes:

Daisy1956
08-02-2010, 09:31 PM
i use the children's initials is that ok