PDA

View Full Version : Risk Assessments. Same page or loads of paperwork??

It's a small world
05-02-2010, 02:22 PM
I went to a playgroup today (mainly cms) anyway we were talking about paperwork and what Ofsted expect and got onto ra's . One cm said they have an A4 paper with their daily RA's on and have laminated it and tick it daily then wipe off and do the same the following day.

My ra's is a monthly one (but has a box for each day iyswim) anyway I tick it accordingly then when finished I file it away and start a new month with a new sheet.

I thought ofsted had to see evidence that you were doing daily RA's how can they see that if you complete the paper work on a wipe (laimnated sheet) then wipe it off???

Confused??? Im happy with mine even though its alot of paperwork at least I can show that its being done .

mama2three
05-02-2010, 02:30 PM
i asked a friend about this who got outstanding. she has a list of daily checks and thats all. her policy says she checks them daily , she doesnt 'tick them off' as its just more paperwork for the sake of it. So im doing the same and hoping I wont be picked up on it when she got outstanding!! I have the full checks as well which i review monthly or when there are any changes.

miffy
05-02-2010, 02:37 PM
To me it's ridiculous to have a monthly sheet and tick it off every day - you work alone, you do the risk assessment yourself every day what does ticking a box on a sheet of paper prove?

I can see the value where different people do the risk assessment check each day but not for a childminder working alone. TBH you could sit down and fill in one of those sheets at any time - it doesn't prove a thing.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do a daily check but I don't see the point in keeping a record of the fact you've done it. More important to record if you find something wrong and what you did about it.

Miffy xx

sarah707
05-02-2010, 03:58 PM
My inspector looked through all my daily risk / cleaning / fridge temps etc paperwork and commented that it was an excellent way of providing evidence that I had done what I say I do... if that makes sense! :laughing:

It's about how you find it easiest to work at the end of the day but if you are keeping a record of this month over last, then how do you prove to Ofsted that you did it last month??

Hth :D

It's a small world
05-02-2010, 04:10 PM
but if you are keeping a record of this month over last, then how do you prove to Ofsted that you did it last month??

Thats what I thought. I know the paperwork is a pain but really it takes the same effort as ticking a wipe clean one and at least I have evidence to show Ofsted should the topic arise (my opinion) But I guess either work then if Ofsted havent pulled anyone up on it. Think Ill still keep doing it my way 'peace of mind' as they say:blush:

Ripeberry
05-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I use my diary a lot! Every minding day I have 'Daily tasks' which includes the R.A and I write 'Done'. Then on the same page I have 'Fridge temp' and I record what it is underneath, if it has crept too low or high, then I record that and say what I did to rectify it.
Every outing and even individual playgrounds/libraries have R.A and each child has an individual R.A for each outing.
This is mainly because I only mind 2 at the moment and one is 17months and the other almost 4yrs old, so they get into different types of trouble ;)
If anything has changed, then I note it as a 'review' on the R.A sheet and put it in the diary.
My diary is also my visitor book :thumbsup: