PDA

View Full Version : I've heard a rumour...........

son77
12-03-2008, 02:27 PM
............that if we apply nappy cream that as well as requiring permission slips we also need to write it up in the medication folder & get parent to sign it, is this true?

ma7ie
12-03-2008, 02:28 PM
I haven't heard this. I hope not because I haven't been. :eek:

sarah707
12-03-2008, 02:32 PM
The way EYFS reads, from September everything will need written parental permission - before we use it and yes, I think that will include nappy cream, teething gels etc...

We are hoping for some changes to the standards though... they are being reviewed / printed at the moment :D

deeb66
12-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Good grief....

This is ridiculous.

I really would't have thought it the case because with young babies you tend to apply it most of the time.

If it is true then it is not something I will be doing............simple as that!

avril
12-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I thought with eyfs we could only give prescribed medication or has this also changed otherwise nappy cream and teething gel are not prescribed.

I think I need a wk or 2 off to read up on what is changing and what isn't, thank goodness for this forum :clapping:

Avril x

ma7ie
12-03-2008, 02:38 PM
I thought with eyfs we could only give prescribed medication or has this also changed otherwise nappy cream and teething gel are not prescribed.

I think I need a wk or 2 off to read up on what is changing and what isn't, thank goodness for this forum :clapping:

Avril x

Nappy cream isn't taken internally though. What about children with eczema? I looked after a little boy who needed emollients rubbed into him 4 times a day when he was with me. I would have been constantly writing in my folder. Think the parent's would have got fed up too.

deeb66
12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
I think this is a grey area.

Yes it states that we have to have consent (prescribed only) and fill in medication forms but I am sorry I do not consider nappy cream to be a 'medication'

I know that some people may but I don't and to be honest if a parent asked a doctor to give a precription for nappy cream they would be laughed out of the surgery.

I this is literally the case and Ofsted do deem nappy cream as a medication then all that wll happen is that there will be thousands of kids out there with very sore backsides!.......and this ould be ludicrous!!

Of course if the nappy cream is more than the normal Oil & caster variety as the child hassevere nappy rash then I would expect to be filling in documentation.

deb24
12-03-2008, 03:33 PM
The tutor on my course said that she spoke to Ofsted regarding what they class as medicines. Sun cream and nappy cream will not need permission.

sarah707
12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
That's confusing... we've always needed permission for sun cream! :rolleyes:

angeldelight
12-03-2008, 03:58 PM
I do not need to be confused any more haha

Dee I agree with you 100% whatever will they think of next

Angel xx

buildingblocks
13-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Nappy cream isn't taken internally though. What about children with eczema? I looked after a little boy who needed emollients rubbed into him 4 times a day when he was with me. I would have been constantly writing in my folder. Think the parent's would have got fed up too.

I cared for a child where I had to apply cream for eczema. I used to log it each time i did it and parent signed once a day that she was aware. I aim to use this form for teething gel with the baby I have just started to care for and if it comes in for nappy cream then i will use it for that but only get parent to sign once not for each time.

Basically three columns first has date in, next has so many rows say 5 or 6 and then the third was for one signature from parent

Banana
13-03-2008, 07:10 PM
:panic:

I cant cope with all these changes!!!!!!!1

x

buildingblocks
13-03-2008, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=deeb66;82219]I this is literally the case and Ofsted do deem nappy cream as a medication then all that wll happen is that there will be thousands of kids out there with very sore backsides!.......and this ould be ludicrous!!QUOTE]

Plus if we don't apply it making the child worse does this then constitute child abuse(neglect). What ever happened to working with the parents wishes and needs for thir child

deeb66
13-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Exactly Kate!

This is why I haven't taken it too literallly and I will not be classing nappy cream as a medication!

angeldelight
13-03-2008, 07:14 PM
If we do have to do it - I will pretend I do - but I wont !!

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
13-03-2008, 07:23 PM
nope I'm confused on this one too:laughing:

I have written permission to apply but def not signed each time:eek: what a ball ache:laughing:

michellethegooner
13-03-2008, 09:18 PM
getting more and more ridiculas think they just enjoy confusing us..

I'm beginning to wonder when and how we will keep mindees entertained as it seems all we will be doing is filling out forms grrrrrrrrr

Twinkles
13-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Oh it's all much clearer now !!

We may/may not need permission for nappy cream and if we do it may/may not have to be prescribed by the doctor.
We may/may not need permission for teething gel and if we do ......you can see where I'm going with this right ?
:rolleyes:

miffy
13-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Whatever happened to common sense?

Written permission or not how many of us would leave a child with a very sore bottom when we could apply something to soothe it or allow a child to burn in the sun (whilst having the correct amount of daily outdoor play) instead of putting sun tan cream on them

Miffy xx

angeldelight
13-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Common sense ?? Whats that ??

Angel xx