PDA

View Full Version : HATI CHARITY SINGLE

angeldelight
02-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Have you heard the new charity single yet - it was on most radio stations this morning

http://www.inentertainment.co.uk/20100201/haiti-charity-single-everybody-hurts-completed/

It is not out to buy or download till next Monday though the 8th Feb

It is the old classic song by REM " Everybody hurts "

I love this song anyway and I know that a few members here do also

The new song is good and sounds really nice

Will you be buying it or downloading it ?

Angel xx

SimplyLucy
02-02-2010, 09:46 AM
I bought one on pre-order this morning.

I was doing an HMV order anyway and thought I best add it to my basket....

Hebs
02-02-2010, 09:48 AM
sorry but no i wont be buying it :blush:

LOOPYLISA
02-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes me and dd heard it on the radio this morning on the school run

I love rem and will be buying :thumbsup:

angeldelight
02-02-2010, 09:59 AM
sorry but no i wont be buying it :blush:

Do you not like the song Hebs?

Angel xx

Hebs
02-02-2010, 10:04 AM
yes i do but i doubt it will make much of a difference, alot of money has been donated already, and to be honest ( :blush: ) i get sick of "charity singles"

Tatia
02-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Yes, pre-ordered. I always used to think that Everbody Hurts was one of the saddest songs ever but actually, when you listen to the lyrics, it's very uplifting.

I was watching an interview with REM and they said they were honoured to be able to 'donate' the song to such a worthy cause. :)

FizzysFriends
02-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I will DL it on Sunday, I love that song anyway.

ajs
02-02-2010, 05:28 PM
of course i will buy it why wouldn't anyone want to do as much as they possibly can for the people who are suffering so much.

Tatia
02-02-2010, 05:40 PM
AJS, I was just having this conversation today with someone, about how we can never know the abject poverty and misery the people of Haiti live in only to have even the very, very little they possess torn away from them, too. I know there's suffering and poverty in Western civilizations and children go without but on the whole, as a people, we can never even begin to comprehend the existence that the peoples of developing countries must endure.

My grandmother used to tell me stories of her childhoodand andthey were very poor, lived on a farm that barely eked out enough to sustain them but her father (my great grandfather) would share the little they had with people less fortunate even than they. She said he'd say to her mother 'Now, Ethel, we ain't got it so bad, do we? We got chickens, don't we?' :)

That's a bit of a family saying 'We got chickens, don't we?'. LOL, it gets us through the hard times.

Hebs
02-02-2010, 09:01 PM
of course i will buy it why wouldn't anyone want to do as much as they possibly can for the people who are suffering so much.

well i dont feel bad for not helping :thumbsup:

we have people suffering in the UK nd nothing is done to help them!

wendywu
05-02-2010, 02:01 PM
I have just seen this thread.

Its a sad fact that there is lots of suffering and misery in this world. To contribute to them all is unrealistic. But to hearden your heart towards a particular tragedy and show a complete lack of empathy, and to be so proud of this attitude is unforgivable. :(

Blaze
05-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Just catching up on posts & came across this thread. I won't be buying the song - but I have contributed in other ways both money & items. I'm quite shocked at some of the posts:( :mad: ...& probably should stop typing now, but won't:blush:

...Yes there is plenty of suffering in this country & I really do believe that charity begins at home...however when such devestation happens (even the aid agencies say they have seen nothing like it) - it's the ordinary people of the world pulling together that makes a difference - not just to those that so desperately need the help, but to the general spirit of human kind as well. When I give I freely admit I do so for the feeling that i may have made a difference to somebody somewhere & also in the hope that( god forbid), it is me, or mine needing it - the world will dig deep....I hope that the world doesn't say - sorry I have my own problems:eek:

...I have plenty more to say - but in the interest of forum harmony I will stop here.

Twinkles
05-02-2010, 02:21 PM

I have to disagree, there is a lot done in this country;

Children in need

Cancer research

Shelter

The Poppy appeal

Lifeboats

Red nose day ( home and abroad charity )

That's just off the top of my head. The people of Haiti have so little to start with that any loss for them is a disaster.

Bushpig
05-02-2010, 02:23 PM

It's a good thing most people don't have your attitude Hebs... because then nothing good would ever happen for people in dire need in many parts of the world. :(

I have worked with extremely poor communities in Africa... who go through far worse than you or I would ever possibly go through... and they would give the last shirt (and possibly their only) off their own back to help someone else in need... as a fellow compassionate and caring human being, I cannot but want to help in any way I can from afar. That doesn't mean I cannot help those in need close by too :thumbsup: We are so fortunate to have the support we do in this country when we are in need.

I am off on holiday in a week... monies that would probably feed many people for a month in Haiti :( Sad but true.

SimplyLucy
05-02-2010, 02:27 PM
My CD arrived this morning, just listening to it now....it's beautifull, very moving.

I'll play it to the after schoolies and my own children later, it will be a very useful tool to use to explain the suffering of the people in Haiti.

Glad I've done my bit and in return got a lovely CD to remind me that life isn't always sweet around the world.

Spangles
05-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I do know other people with the same attitude as Hebs unfortunately.

I don't agree with it and think the attitude is disgraceful if I'm honest. We are a world together and should help one another when it's needed no matter where people live.

The amount of money raised and help given just prove that luckily most people do not agree with this, what a sad world we would live in if we all felt that way. It would be a world that I would worry sending my children out into.

Hebs
05-02-2010, 02:29 PM
I have actually made a donation but I don't agree with these charity singles all the time!

Even if I didn't donate anything I wouldn't feel bad! Sorry but that's just my views.

Trouble
05-02-2010, 02:31 PM
its sad you feel this way hebs, life must of really done a number on you to feel this way:(

but im pleased the world doesnt feel the same:D

Bushpig
05-02-2010, 02:33 PM
its sad you feel this way hebs, life must of really done a number on you to feel this way:(

but im pleased the world doesnt feel the same:D

Me too! :thumbsup:

Blaze
05-02-2010, 02:33 PM
The charity singles are simply a way of focusing people's attention & not letting it be forgotten or become yesterdays news.(& OF COURSE RAISE MONEY)

I have to say that I feel sorry for you Hebs.

Blaze
05-02-2010, 02:37 PM

Not as much as a number, as the poor people of Haiti!:mad:

Hebs
05-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Actually I do a lot! I regulary donate by monthly direct debit to the red cross, I have for years but it saddens me that people buy these singles and think that its enough,

If you really want to help then a charity single every now and then isn't going to make a huge difference and takes time for the funds to get through!

So please don't say I'm uncaring cos actually I'm far from it!

wendywu
05-02-2010, 02:39 PM
I still have fantastic memories of Live Aid. The first time round. "Do they Know its Christmas Time at All" still raises money to this very day. So a lot of good came out of that Charity Single.

All those people out front and behind the scenes at Live Aid who gave up their time for a very good reason.

Cammie Doodle
05-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Just catching up on posts & came across this thread. I won't be buying the song - but I have contributed in other ways both money & items. I'm quite shocked at some of the posts:( :mad: ...& probably should stop typing now, but won't:blush:

...Yes there is plenty of suffering in this country & I really do believe that charity begins at home...however when such devestation happens (even the aid agencies say they have seen nothing like it) - it's the ordinary people of the world pulling together that makes a difference - not just to those that so desperately need the help, but to the general spirit of human kind as well. When I give I freely admit I do so for the feeling that i may have made a difference to somebody somewhere & also in the hope that( god forbid), it is me, or mine needing it - the world will dig deep....I hope that the world doesn't say - sorry I have my own problems:eek:

...I have plenty more to say - but in the interest of forum harmony I will stop here.

I agree with this totally.
Would you feel differently Hebs if this had happened in Egypt ?A place you love to visit and I assume got to know the people who live there ?

Hebs
05-02-2010, 02:42 PM
I agree with this totally.
Would you feel differently Hebs if this had happened in Egypt ?A place you love to visit and I assume got to know the people who live there ?

I think you need to read all the posts before you reply!

Blaze
05-02-2010, 02:44 PM

You're now contradicting yourself Hebs! The above post is very uncaring!:(

Hebs
05-02-2010, 02:47 PM
I ment I don't feel bad for not buying the single,

The money donated to the red cross goes to ALL those who need it, wether its in the uk or abroad,

Cammie Doodle
05-02-2010, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=Hebs;630716]well i dont feel bad for not helping :thumbsup:

we have people suffering in the UK nd nothing is done to help them![/QUOTE

Do you mean like the comment above ????
Whether you meant to or not Hebs you came across at first as being hard and uncaring, its only in your further replies that you admit to caring about others

Hebs
05-02-2010, 02:50 PM
I Replied to the question.... haiti charity single, will you be buying it.

My answer was no, as charity songs annoy me and they arnt the only people who are suffering in the world.

wendywu
05-02-2010, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=Blaze;633205]The charity singles are simply a way of focusing people's attention & not letting it be forgotten or become yesterdays news.(& OF COURSE RAISE MONEY) ]

This type of single using modern stars brings the tragedy to the attention of many different age groups of people, people who would not normally bother with the news or read the paper.

No it is not enough on its own, but it is better than the nothing that a lot of people do.

Trouble
05-02-2010, 02:54 PM
It to be hope hebs you NEVER need this sort of help or support as what goes around comes around:panic: :panic:

Hebs
05-02-2010, 02:56 PM
And again, read all the posts before passing comments on me!

Pipsqueak
05-02-2010, 07:33 PM
yes i will be buying it. I have already contributed in other ways but seeing how people are suffering really rams home the perspective on your own concerns sometimes doesn't it.

I do believe that the charity singles reaches out to people who otherwise may not contribute. As already pointed out, we cannot dig in our pockets for every cause no matter how much we would like to be able to but for a few quid for a charity single I think I can cope with that.