PDA

View Full Version : I live in a flat and want to become a childminder

mrscraig87
01-02-2010, 06:15 PM
I live in a decent size council flat and I am looking to become a childminder. I just wondered if anyone can help me with a few questions I can get answered.
I live in 3rd foor flat in scotland. I have two bedrooms, livingroom and kitchen. I wondered if living in a flat would be an issue? I also wondered what the regulations are with having somewhere for the children to eat? Does the table need to be in the kitchen? How big does livingroom have to be and do i need to have a seperate room for children to sleep?

Thanks for any answers

rainbowmummy
02-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi

Living in a flat shouldn't be an issue as long as you can prove that you have access to outdoor space daily!

Get in touch with Ofsted, they will be able to advise you. There are many things that they are looking for. Its worth finding out.
x

Tink
02-02-2010, 10:33 AM
As said above it doesn't matter if you live in a flat or a house:D
With regards to space, when Ofsted come out for your pre-reg they will assess the space you have and will tell you how many children you can care for.
As for the table, it doesn't matter where you have it as it's your home, you will adapt things as you go along, it's just somewhere for them to eat and be creative etc.

Hope that helps you xxx

BrookeK
05-02-2010, 11:35 PM
yeah ive put childminding on the back burner for 2 years now cause i was told by sister-in-law that i wouldnt be able to childmind because i live in a one bedroom flat.
She at the time told me id need a atleast a 2bed room an a garden, i got my hopes up by the end of the conversation with her!!, for the last 2 yrs all i have been thinking about is childminding, and trying to move, but i cant aford to move, an i was ready to just give up my dream, till i read though the forum an realised i can be a childminder, i just may only be able to look after 1 or 2 mindees which i am fine with, tbh i only want to mind 3 for now, but 1 or 2 will be fine to, an do pre-school an after-school runs to..

But was she right? A one bedroom flat is it to small? I always have my nieces an nephews over , normally 2 at a time, but some times 3 at a time as i have 6 nieces an 3 newphews!! an their ages range frome 3-9yrs old,but they seem to have enough room to run around like monkies!! lol

jojane
06-02-2010, 10:07 AM
i was living in a flat and wanted to childmind for ages but didnt go ahead until we moved to a house for the following reasons
no outside space - i know i could have made daily trips to the park etc but much easier to have a garden to do messy play in summer etc

FIRE regs, if you use any room above the ground floor then the rooms you are using must lead directly into a hallway to the stairs to the exit. if you are using anything above the first floor then the exitway must be fireproof or you must have a proper fire escape. most new builds conform to regs but ours was a very old converted pub so didnt really conform

when leaving the property you need to think about how you will get everyone out of the property - children and babies and buggies and bags etc and have a proper procedure in place.

Bushpig
06-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I started CMing in a 2 bed flat and actually got my outstanding grading there (which surprised me big time - being in a flat only!)... and I think what the inspector liked was how we went out a lot... my fire escape drills were frequent and made sense... and I brought a little of the outside in... do you have a balcony? Pop some plants there for the kids to water and trim... have a little ant farm etc.. don't let being in a flat hold you back... it's up to how you utilise the space you have in a clever and creative way that makes the difference.
:thumbsup:

dobby
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
There is a childminder locally who works from a flat and has done so successfully for many years.

BrookeK
06-02-2010, 08:19 PM
goodness an to think i could of been childminding for 2 years now if i wasnt held back by the fact i live in a flat:eek: ....everyone just kept tellin me to move first, grr wish i didnt listen but i was just turn 20 an moved to england from u..s.a only few months after my 20th bday so the whole childminding was new to me..

in america we dont need to be CM ppl just watch ppl kids an charge ya its less businessly, but everyone including my mom does it. Granted she only gets $2 per hour per child..one person she charges $1 a hour an shes a 10mo old an she has her from 6am-9pm..i told her she is silly but she likes the extra income..

Gizmo
06-02-2010, 08:37 PM
As you are in Scotland is Care Commission and not Ofsted you need to contact :thumbsup:
When I was on my induction course there was a girl that lived in a high rise and she got passed by the cc no problem as others have said as long as you can give the kids fresh air, my mindees sleep on the couch in the living room
Where in Scotland are you ??