PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice please

Tink
01-02-2010, 01:37 PM
My DD is 19 months old and still has formula milk.

I've tried her on full cows milk numerous times but it always makes her very sick.

She has always drank lots of milk and i'm worried it's too much, but I don't know if it's right as she's my only child and as they say, there's no book on what they should/shouldn't do.

She eats well and drinks water and juice but always asks for her milk.

She has always woke in the night for milk and still does and she goes to sleep with her milk as well.

I feel like a bad mother as I don't know if i'm doing the right thing for her, please can someone tell me if i'm doing the right thing?

skytvaddict
01-02-2010, 01:41 PM
No advice really other than if that is what is working for you stick with it.

My 19 month old DS is like this but with cows milk. Still wakes most nights although last week I think we have 2 or 3 sleep throughs. My 2.9 year old DS was just the same but sleeps through now and once or twice has said no to bed time bottle so there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

They both go to sleep on their bed time bottles though as that is what works for us! :blush:

Tink
01-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Oh thank you, I thought it was just me, I felt like it was only my DD that went with a bottle so I feel a bit better now thank you x

Minstrel
01-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Have you tried the formula milk in a cup?

Its probably the bottle that she is wanting more than the actual milk and there is nothing wrong with milk still but its probably filling her up and at her age she should be getting most of her calories from food.

Try it in a cup and slowly wean off the bottle (assuming this is want you want?)

good luck x

Tink
01-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Yes that is what I want, I think that will be the best thing to put it in a cup and wean her off her bottle, thank you I feel much better now xxx

carebear25
01-02-2010, 02:02 PM
i took bottle off my 2yr ds in the new year an have tried givin him his milk in different forms but he wont drink it. He wil drink it at nursery so asked them if i cud take 1 of the cartons home with me 2 c wat he did an stil didnt drink much of it.

have decided he has a good diet an likes his cheese an yoghurts not goin 2 stress.

Have u tried givin cereal for supper we do that sumtimes.

He started wakin for a bottle durin the nite an i only offered him water (cruel u may say) but he soon stopped wakin 4 a bottle..

Spangles
01-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Have you tried watering it down over a period of time? That's all I can think of other than to phone your health visitor for advice.

The cup is a good idea, I wouldn't have thought of that!

kindredspirits
01-02-2010, 03:35 PM
my ds came off bottles about 3 months ago - he will be 3 in a fortnight. i wouldn't worry in the slightest - if she eats well and drinks other fluids then theres nothing wrong in that little bit of comfort, imo.

mamasheshe
01-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Have you tried watering it down over a period of time? That's all I can think of other than to phone your health visitor for advice.

The cup is a good idea, I wouldn't have thought of that!

this is what i did for my eldest dd and it got her off the formula she would take small amounts of cows milk in a bottle but it wasn't her favorite.

my youngest dd has been on cows milk since she was 1 but she still has one bottle at night which she probably should cut out she's two and a bit but as it's harmless why worry she doesn't have a dummy so it's purely comfort i think.

wendywu
01-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Its very bad for her teeth to take a bottle of milk into her cot and fall asleep sucking on it.

I would let her drink all her milk out of a cup, but i was mean i took my DDs bottles away at 1 year old. When they were too young to argue. :laughing: