PDA

View Full Version : Worth the effort if only minding part-time

Mrs Pootle
31-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate your advice/comments on my situation.
I am currently going through the pre-reg process and hope to have completed everything and be ready for inspection by Easter.
I am only wanting to childmind part time, no more than 3 days a week, and also with only 1 child (2 if they want the same days).
I have a back ground in childcare so I feel I have the knowledge and skills and would enjoy the work, it is just the time and effort that needs to go into everything else that makes me wonder if it is worthwhile. The necessary paperwork, record keeping, planning, etc seems an awful lot for just 1 child. I don't know whether to re-think my situation and work full time.
My main reason for working part-time was to minimise the impact on my own (school age) children, and to give me a couple of days during the week to clean,cook, do the supermarket shop etc without it spoiling our family weekends.
Thanks in advance for your help.

The Juggler
31-01-2010, 04:43 PM
i depends how many children you have. also if you earn under a certain amount you won't pay tax either which would be fab!

If you get two children for the 3 days or even 3 different ones the lj's won't be too much to keep up with . pretty much everything else you have to do for 1 child or ten so I think you'll be fine, especially with your childcare background.

welcome to CM'ing.

jumpinjen
31-01-2010, 04:49 PM
I work three days as i am training on the other days, and it works great for me.... I did find that when i took on a second one it made me feel more like I was childminding rather than having an extra addition to the family (my first little one was only four months old when I had her!). I do find that I am struggling to find schol runs as they want all week just drop offs or all week, just pick ups and i am only doing three days, but I'm happy to wait! I plan for each child same as normal and adjust that and add to it as the days go on... i don't think the paperwork is excessive for that time.... I feel happy with what i am doing, and when the time is right I will go to all week feeling confident rather than terrified!!

jenni:)

Mrs Pootle
31-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks so much for your replies, you have both made me feel happier :)

SparklingGems
01-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I have a friend who is a childminder and she only works mon to thurs as she likes to do stuff with her own family on fridays and they go on alot of weekend breaks. She is still full with her numbers. There is alot of mothers who go back to work a few days a weeks rather than every day.

I think the planning etc once you have it in place will be the sma ewhether your child is full or part time it just means you have to do less.

Ripeberry
01-02-2010, 12:41 PM
I CM part-time and term-time only Tues-Friday as it gives me time to be with my familly.
I feel that I contribute some money to the familly, my husband works full-time and he is not happy about me going out to work as he wanted me to be able to take the children to school and pick them up again and be at home in the evening.
I used to do Homecare for the Elderly before doing CM and he got really fed up of me not being at home every evening and weekend, we used to only see each other sometimes for no more than a few minutes in the evening, he would come home at 7pm and I would be out the door until Midnight :eek: I would also work Saturday mornings from 6am until 2pm...I was shattered!
CM covers all the bases for me and even if I get more enquires I really want to keep Mondays for myself and my familly.

1984chelle
01-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Hiya

I am also hoping to only look after potentially 2 kiddies at a time if i can, if i do get registered. As I already have my own little toddler causing havoc bless her. I would also see if I can get away from weekend work aswell, if i get the chance so it doesn't affect DF too much, and as you say you have days free to book keep, shop, tidy and train etc.