PDA

View Full Version : advice please - going on the potty??

kindredspirits
31-01-2010, 01:09 PM
can anyone give me any words of wisdom - my son is 3 in a fortnight and we started potty training about 2 weeks ago - he's picked up wee-wee's really well and is happy to do them on a potty - but he will not do number 2's at all!! On monday he soiled his pants, and it took a prescription for lactulose on friday before he managed to poo again (in nappy pants at that stage). Saturday he did nothing so this morning i gave him another dose of lactulose and he went in his pants again - we were really laid back about it but obviously would like to crack him being able to do a number 2 in the potty - we've offered him the big toilet but he refuses there too. :huh:

i understand that this is quite normal but wonder if there is any tips to get over this hurdle - i have put a sticker chart up for him and so far he has forced out 3 wees in the space of about 15 mins (i told him when he ets 5 stickers he gets a lollypop). :laughing:

anna x

Lainey Lou
31-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Hiya, stick with it, if he is doing wee wee's on the potty now he will get the hang of no. 2's. I'd try to avoid the nappy pants and just put normal pants on all the time, I know its abit messy but he will probably start to tell you he needs a no, 2 as he won't like the feel of messy pants esp if he is now dry. My daughter is just potty trained and she soiled her knickers a few times once she was dry but then started to tell me she needed a no. 2. :)

HTH

sarah707
31-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Buy a packet of really cheap pants from Asda or Tesco... then when he soils them just cut them off at the sides and chuck away.

you won't feel so bad then if he does it a few times and it's best he isn't confused.

I would use lactulose every day for a while so he gets used to the sensation of feeling the urge to go. The last thing you want is for him to hurt his sensitive anal muscles or tear his bottom - that could put him months back.

Some children like the potty lined so it doesn't splash up the wee. You could try that :D