PDA

View Full Version : Gareth....where are you?

Monkey1
30-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Whats happened to Gareth? Haven't 'seen' him here all week?
Hope your ok mate!

littletreasures
30-01-2010, 08:33 PM
He's in McDonalds!!!:laughing: :laughing:

Gizmo
30-01-2010, 08:39 PM
he has been on fb think he is playing to much mafia wars to bother with us poor mortals on here

Blaze
30-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I presume you're talking about DDC & not FW!:laughing:

Monkey1
30-01-2010, 09:02 PM
I presume you're talking about DDC & not FW!:laughing:

yeah sorry, why has FW been up to anything interesting?

Blaze
30-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Don't think you really want to know:laughing: :blush: :D

Chell
30-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Who is FW?

miffy
30-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Who is FW?

Forum widower

Miffy xx

Blaze
30-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Who is FW?

Forum Widower:rolleyes: ...My hubby (his name is Gareth)!:D

It's a small world
30-01-2010, 10:36 PM
I spoke to him last week I think it was he was saying doesn't come on here too much as getting him down not having an mindees and us asking questions about cm. Poor thing. I will text him tomorrow just to maje sure he's ok and to let him know we are concerned. . We need to think of ways to get him some mindees. I've tried yo help him with a leaflet. We need to help him before he gives up!!!!!!!

angeldelight
30-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I spoke to him last week I think it was he was saying doesn't come on here too much as getting him down not having an mindees and us asking questions about cm. Poor thing. I will text him tomorrow just to maje sure he's ok and to let him know we are concerned. . We need to think of ways to get him some mindees. I've tried yo help him with a leaflet. We need to help him before he gives up!!!!!!!

Yes he is feeling a bit fed up

I spoke to him this evening but he is ok and I hope he will be back soon

I will tell him everyone is asking about him

Angel xx

Blackhorse
31-01-2010, 07:09 AM
oh no that is a shame.
but I have to say I understand that...I did the same when it took me soo long to find mindees after the nightmare I had getting registered...i came on the forum less and less as it can be depressing if everyone is taking about the mindees etc and you have no luck getting any!!

Sending DDC lots of good vibes to get first mindees soon!!!!!!

PixiePetal
31-01-2010, 08:23 AM
I have noticed he has been missing, though I understand when you need mindees you can get a bit down reading of other peoples stories.

After 6 months my work is picking up again so hope DDC can get started.

Maybe we can write a reference to prospective parents - he would be an asset as a childminder with his humour and enthusiasm :D

DDC get off FB mafia wars and onto here!

It's a small world
31-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Someone mentioned writing to his local paper. Maybe we should send a letter in saying how good he is and how a male cm is just as good as a female cm. He needs somekind of publicity. We could all go on GMTV. No seriously I think we should consider an article ?

Pauline
31-01-2010, 09:53 AM
I was wondering the same yesterday, missed his little quips around the Forum :(

Hope you are ok Gareth, come back soon :)

Tups
31-01-2010, 12:32 PM
something will come along Gareth, dont give up ive only got one partime now two of mine have gone to nursary so ive got one who is 8 yr old 3 days aweek I use to get call's every week for minding, ther's too many nursary's now I carnt complain ive had a very good living out of it over the years Time for me to rest a little,ha yups x:laughing: :laughing:

Tups
31-01-2010, 12:34 PM
something will come along Gareth, dont give up ive only got one partime now two of mine have gone to nursary so ive got one who is 8 yr old 3 days aweek I use to get call's every week for minding, ther's too many nursary's now I carnt complain ive had a very good living out of it over the years Time for me to rest a little,ha yups x:laughing: :laughing:

HA I mean tups

Monkey1
31-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Someone mentioned writing to his local paper. Maybe we should send a letter in saying how good he is and how a male cm is just as good as a female cm. He needs somekind of publicity. We could all go on GMTV. No seriously I think we should consider an article ?

That sounds fantastic! If the paper ran a story on him i'm sure he would be swamped with calls!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

FizzysFriends
31-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Anyone live by him to tell us what his local paper is?

ORKSIE
31-01-2010, 04:11 PM
My hubby (his name is Gareth)!:D

Is it....I didnt know that!

ORKSIE
31-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Poor Gareth, I can understand why he staying away, but I hope he knows he missed, even by me:D

I do give him stick, but I know he takes it well.

Come back soon DDC:thumbsup:

It's a small world
31-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Anyone live by him to tell us what his local paper is?

I do I live about half hour from him can I say on here or shall we just devise an article and I'll send it in..... Go forum cms let's get gareth done mindees publicity is a great advert !!!!!!! Whose up to helping me ????

FizzysFriends
31-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I do I live about half hour from him can I say on here or shall we just devise an article and I'll send it in..... Go forum cms let's get gareth done mindees publicity is a great advert !!!!!!! Whose up to helping me ????

Do you think he will mind?

It's a small world
31-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Have just sent him a txt and will let you know what he says .

Just replied to my txt and he's about to carve the beef lol he's going to get on here after his dinner but sounds like he's made up by our offer hopefully he will take us up on it . Let's see what he says ... Hope he let's us help him ge deserves it and needs a chance to show everyone how good he will be as a cm

FizzysFriends
31-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Have just sent him a txt and will let you know what he says .

Just replied to my txt and he's about to carve the beef lol he's going to get on here after his dinner but sounds like he's made up by our offer hopefully he will take us up on it . Let's see what he says ... Hope he let's us help him ge deserves it and needs a chance to show everyone how good he will be as a cm

That sounds good, will check later to see if you need any help with the article.

TheBTeam
31-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I definitely up for helping, although I have never met him, I really believe that he just needs the break to getting his first mindee and then it will snowball, he really sounds that he will make an excellent childminder and to be brave enough and committed enough to register and prepare everything says a lot.

My dh only does this job because I have done the legwork and maintain stuff, so good on him!

Tink
31-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I hope he's ok bless him, he needs some mindees :)

little miss chatterbox
31-01-2010, 07:37 PM
awwww poor Gareth it must be so hard for him.

I don't know him that well either but he does sound like he'd make an excellent childminder.

I hope he does get a break soon

Daddy Day Care
31-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Ladies

First of all im good, theres nothing wrong with me as such, fit and healthy and all that so I cant complain, or can I!!!! lol

Havent been around much at all recently as some of you noticed, only posted last weekend after I got a text from Angel to let you know she was feeling a little better other than that I think its been a couple of weeks since ive really posted. Ive had a few private messages sent this week, sorry I havent been ignoring those who sent just havent been on.

As Kerry and Angel said ive just found it hard comming on here, have been getting really down about things. Its almost 8 months now since ive been registered and its really getting to the point that im startin to think about giving it all up. It would be such a shame after it taking 10 months to get registeresd and I KNOW id be a fantastic childminder.

I did try sticking to the lounge, and thats the only palce ive really posted since before christmas but even that were aking me think about things so Ive had a little break.

Its silly really because I get far greater support form you girls on here than I do from anywhere else. Wheter its privates messages, texts, threads started on here your all fantastic and thank you for that.

So rather then spending so much time on here ive spent it playing just about every game there is on facebook lol and im sickkkkkkkkkk of it!!!! and im sure your all sick of reading all about it on your facebook walls.

As far as the letter goes, I think it is a really kind, really lovely gesture thank you :) Do you think they would be interested? theres lots of childminders out there with spaces what makes me different? I dont want toput you to the toruble of doing something which comes to nothing, you all have enough paperwork to do.

Im certainly not against the idea, I just dont like to put anyone about. Someone suggested before getting in touch with locla radio station but I really wouldnt sell myself very well. Im quite shy unless i have 6 pints of cider in me, and get nervous speaking on the phone let alone radio station.

Thats my other problem, should anyone look past the fact that im new, should anyone look past the fact im male, should anyone look past the fact i dont live in the nicest area in town? Im sooooo nervous when meeting parents (only met 1 so far) i blow it straight away, I know how first impressions mean sooooooo much in this job. Im fantastic with kids just not so good with the parents untill i get to know them.

The lady who runs the tots group i go to said parents should go to the group to see what im really like, I spend most of the time playing with other peoples children and mindees. The parents dont see that they see a shy timid gareth and think no straight away.

Urgghhhh this was a possitve thread turned it all negative sorry :blush:

Thanks again to you all for your support, ill try and get back to posting regulary :)

Gareth
xx

Minstrel
31-01-2010, 07:46 PM
great idea about the article :)

TheBTeam
31-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Think I would forget about the radio then, 6 pints of cider cant be good heh!:laughing: :laughing:

But I think the local paper may well be interested, they came and did an article about me and because my dh was around, they insisted on including him, so you being male may well give them the different angle to make it worth their while, would the lady from the playgroup be prepared to ring them for you, or if not as Kerrie Louise suggested perhaps if we sort out a letter she could send it from a female minder wanting to highlight the benefits of having you as a male childminder in the profession.

Gizmo
31-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Glad to hear you are ok, I think an article for the paper is a fantastic idea, have you put ads up at your tots group if the mums there know how good you are with the kids they can recommend you to their friends :thumbsup:
Is there any other male cms that work on their own have you been in touch with them for marketing ideas :)

It's a small world
31-01-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm on the case may take a few days but once done will post link on here so everyone can read before sending off. If anyone can give a few ideas as never done this before but will give it a go. Be back soon . X

Chell
31-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Have you got to know any other minders in your town who could recommend you if they are full? I know there is at least one other male childminder in your town, he works with his wife. If you could go to a CM group with your own children it could be a way to get yourself known.

Zoomie
31-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Gareth, am I correct in understanding that you have only had one enquiry (I remember it) but I can't remember if the mum actually met you or not (for some reason I am thinking not).

I think the thing about the newspaper article is great. Any ex journalists on the site who could give pointers ????

Anyhows, I wanted to ask if you have thought about redoing (or duplicating alongside) your adverts playing down the fact that you are male. I am only suggesting this as I think you are getting trouble getting enquiries, let alone trying to get them through the door.

I am sure many on this site have heard of stories where two identical CVs are sent and the 'younger' 'whiter' 'maler' version has been considered and the others not given the time of day (please excuse the examples, it is just my way of trying to explain).

Have you done leaflet drops in your local neighbourhood. I know money is a problem but I am sure some of us wouldn't mind dipping in our pockets to give you a little hand ?????

Gizmo
31-01-2010, 08:48 PM
have just googled and found this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/rob_on_the_road/3003726.stm

Daddy Day Care
31-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Chell im friends with around 20 minders in my town, thats the prolbem theres so many of us and theres tons I dont know. Most of them have my number and know im desperately looking for mindees, but nobody seems to be full at the moment so any work that coems along they snap it up.

Ive been told theres 2 other male minders in town (dont know how true that is) but neither work on there own they both work with there wifes. I've met one before he use to go to a few of the groups I go to but havent seen him for a long time now.

There was 2 cm groups I know off, One shut a couple of weeks ago which id been to a few times. The other is at the local sure start centre on a wednesday morning, not been there yet as for the last 2 1/2 years ive been gonig to another group, made good friends there and had a lot of support would feel like im a traitor if i stopped going,lots have already. Saying that theres only a couple of minders that go to this group who i dont know, the majority go to other groups througout the week with me.

Gareth
xx

Daddy Day Care
31-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Gareth, am I correct in understanding that you have only had one enquiry (I remember it) but I can't remember if the mum actually met you or not (for some reason I am thinking not).

I think the thing about the newspaper article is great. Any ex journalists on the site who could give pointers ????

Anyhows, I wanted to ask if you have thought about redoing (or duplicating alongside) your adverts playing down the fact that you are male. I am only suggesting this as I think you are getting trouble getting enquiries, let alone trying to get them through the door.

I am sure many on this site have heard of stories where two identical CVs are sent and the 'younger' 'whiter' 'maler' version has been considered and the others not given the time of day (please excuse the examples, it is just my way of trying to explain).

Have you done leaflet drops in your local neighbourhood. I know money is a problem but I am sure some of us wouldn't mind dipping in our pockets to give you a little hand ?????

Ive had one enquiry through e-mail who was going to come meet me, then changed her mind saying I lived to far away. I live about 3 minutes away in the car lol

Ive had one who came to see me, a week later she said she had gone with the first minder she went to visit. I asked for feedback on how it went, how I could have improoved. She told me it was nothing that I had done, but she had already decided in her head after meeting the first minder that she was the one, she just kept her appointment with me to be polite.

Ive had oen other phonecall who wasnt impressed I dont have a level 3 nvq, that was the first question she asked me.

Ive ordered some new leaflets this week (after help from several members thank you) just waiting for them to be delivered then ill go out on my travels again and put them up everyhwere I can. As far as dipping into your own pockets, thats very very very kind of you to say but its something i could never accept but thank you for the kind gesture.

Daddy Day Care
31-01-2010, 09:00 PM
have just googled and found this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/rob_on_the_road/3003726.stm

Interesting read, think its a bit far me advertising on bbc website tho lol after all with the ages of my children I only have one eyfs space available.

Zoomie
31-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Not sure what it is called in your area but have you given thought to minding social services 'contracts' ??? You would need to go through your development worker :)

It's a small world
31-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Interesting read, think its a bit far me advertising on bbc website tho lol after all with the ages of my children I only have one eyfs space available.

Ive just been reading this article...Gareth Im working on something for you now...maybe a while but will do my best. having a night off my paperwork tonight an starting a fresh tomorrow....

We are all happy to help you deserve at least one mindee..

sweets
31-01-2010, 09:50 PM
your welcome to my screamer mindee gareth, i'll pop him in the post tommorrow :laughing:

FussyElmo
31-01-2010, 10:05 PM

Sweetie I only have one EYFS place but sell that how much more time you will have to develop their child because you aren't bogged down with paperwork that other cm's have...

Everything can be a positive just turn it around:)

It's a small world
31-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Ive written something but not sure where I should post it... Not sure if Ive gone down the right lines ? Was going to put in a covering letter from me or whether I should writ it from me another cm???

Not very good at these sort of thigns ..tell me where I can post so people can look. PLease dont laugh Im trying like I said not very good at this sort of thing.

orry its posted my article but cant get rid of it incase its in the wrong place...sorry everyone:eek:

Pauline
31-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Gareth I hope something comes your way soon :(

Have you thought about advertising to do the work that the other minders don't want? Early/late/weekends/shifts/part time/odd hours. NHS staff often struggle to get care for their children for strange hours.

How about getting some of those people at tots group to write you a reference? It would be nice to show to visiting parents.

Have you thought about be honest when parents first visit, tell them that you are so shy and you know you are going to come across all wrong. It might break the ice and help you relax.

How about dumping all your paperwork on them to read then getting down and playing with their children, show them what you are really like as they read.

Fingers crossed they are queueing at your door soon :thumbsup:

Pauline
31-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Ive written something but not sure where I should post it... Not sure if Ive gone down the right lines ? Was going to put in a covering letter from me or whether I should writ it from me another cm???

Not very good at these sort of thigns ..tell me where I can post so people can look. PLease dont laugh Im trying like I said not very good at this sort of thing.

orry its posted my article but cant get rid of it incase its in the wrong place...sorry everyone:eek:

It's brilliant Kerry and in the right place of course :)

DCMS
31-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Kerrie Louise, well done that is excellent. Hope it does the trick

Monkey1
01-02-2010, 05:25 AM
I can't open it on this stupid laptop! Will have a look on my DS's later. Well done Kerry!
It makes me mad.....everyone keeps banging on about equality in the work place.......same should happen here!
Good luck Gareth. I have everything crossed for you x

Graham
01-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Best of luck Gareth, can't offer you much advice as I am just an assistant, Pauline does all the important stuff. I can't imagine having to do it all myself, I think you have done very well to get as far as you have and it would be a shame to quit now, keep your chin up mate, I'm sure you'll get some mindees soon.:thumbsup:

Pauline
01-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Best of luck Gareth, can't offer you much advice as I am just an assistant, Pauline does all the important stuff.

Just an assistant? There is no just about it, I couldn't do it without you.:thumbsup: Might have managed in the past but I was yonger then! :rolleyes:

angeldelight
01-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Just an assistant? There is no just about it, I couldn't do it without you.:thumbsup: Might have managed in the past but I was yonger then! :rolleyes:

You took the words right out of my mouth

Not the bit about you being younger back then :laughing:

Angel xx

MarpleJollytots
01-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Lots of love 2 you Garth.DONT GIVE UP !!!! Me and Mike nearly did,our crbs took 5 months !!!!!! Do you have a web site ? Sorry if some one has already asked you that and ive missed it .:)

little chickee
01-02-2010, 11:46 AM
How about getting in touch with your local paper and seeing if they want to do an article on you. They could send out a reporter who would take photos and interview you and then go off and write up an article.

Worth a go!

It's a small world
01-02-2010, 12:20 PM
How about getting in touch with your local paper and seeing if they want to do an article on you. They could send out a reporter who would take photos and interview you and then go off and write up an article.

Worth a go!

we've just done one..theres a new thread...

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=51164&highlight=gareth

please feel free to read and suggest anything. Going to print it off tomorrow and post it...watch out gareth !!!!

igglepiggle
08-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Hi Gareth, was just reading all of these posts whilst I sip my coffee and enjoy the much coveted 'nap time'! I just wanted to tell you how great I think it is that you're so keen! I've been registered since Oct of last year and am enjoying it all so far - however, the one thing that gets me down is the ultimate plan is for myself and my husband to do this together as our little project! I wish it could happen now really but we just can't afford for him to leave work right now. There are a few husband/wife teams up this end - I know that's a bit different to you working alone - but alot of the people I speak to say they would love for thier children to have a male input in their childcare. Alot of children often respond better to men - I use my nephew as a mental example!! I also think men bring a new prespective into childcare and think about things in a way that we might not. I really wish you the best of luck - my husband thinks you're fab!!!