PDA

View Full Version : Settling in sessions over 8's

lady boss
11-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi

Was just wondering if you do settling in sessions for over 8's?

ma7ie
11-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't personally although I would like them to come with their parent's for the interview and signing of the contracts in order to meet them.

miffy
11-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Yes I would

I'd ask the parent to bring them round after school so they can meet all the other after-schoolers and I could have a chat with them about what thye like to do

I have had parents say they don't want a settling in visit say when their child is friends with another child I look after so you could offer and play it by ear

Miffy xx

sarah707
11-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Oh yes! Definitely! Not often we disagree Marie, sorry!

I have more problems with behaviour management with over 8s than all the other agegroups put together!

They have to get on with my children, watch their language, fit in with little ones, do as they are asked first time etc etc... and I would never take an over 8 again until we have the ground rules sorted.

That happens on settling visit 1 when we put a 'behaviour agreement' together - and if they can't be bothered to do it, they are stroppy about it etc I see immediately we are going to have problems and it's not worth risking my little ones' happiness for a few hours before / after school.

Hope this helps! :D

ma7ie
11-03-2008, 09:50 PM

I have more problems with behaviour management with over 8s than all the other agegroups put together!

They have to get on with my children, watch their language, fit in with little ones, do as they are asked first time etc etc... and I would never take an over 8 again until we have the ground rules sorted.

That happens on settling visit 1 when we put a 'behaviour agreement' together - and if they can't be bothered to do it, they are stroppy about it etc I see immediately we are going to have problems and it's not worth risking my little ones' happiness for a few hours before / after school.

To be honest I wouldn't touch an over 8 with a barge pole anyway. Sorry if that's not PC but I only really want little ones.

button68
11-03-2008, 09:53 PM

Thanks, I have taken those words on board :thumbsup:

Looks like I am taking on that Independent Arrival, year 7. Was going to get him to come with is mum when we do contacts but will try ad sort a few settling in's before he starts after Easter.

lady boss
11-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Thank you for the advice.
I was asked by a parent today to mind her 8 yr old daughter i day a week after school. Maybe i'll get them to come round and see how it goes. x

wendywu
12-03-2008, 12:18 AM
You can get some nice over 8s. I have one lad who is 10 on friday. He is an only child and loves my other minded children. He will still sit on my lap for a cuddle or put his arm around me. But i have had him from 2 years. He is a big help to me.:D

angeldelight
12-03-2008, 06:13 AM
I have a few over 8s they have been with me a few years now but they are brilliant - I love doing topics with them when I get to see them during school holidays for longer - its great

I would only offer a settling in period if the parent requested it for this age to be honest

I would expect to meet the child though before they started

Angel xx

disney
12-03-2008, 10:38 AM
i have one girl she is not 8 untill june but she is my eldest and the hardest to take care of , when she first started i didnt do a settling in period ( wish i had ) the diffuculties are when we are going to school she thinks shes older so its ok for her to go off , she picks up the little ones and drops them , argues about tv does not want childrens programs on . and does not set very good role models for the younger ones . she also sucks her thumb and now all the others do as well x

Tily Bud
12-03-2008, 12:16 PM

i agree although i dont intend to take on any over 8s unless they have been coming to me since babies xx

manjay
12-03-2008, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't necessarily insist on a settling in session for over 8's, but saying that I would more than likely know any that would come to me as they would be from our village school. I usually have a very good idea of whether they would fit in. I would expect them to come with parents when they visit though.

amanda xx

Tatia
12-03-2008, 01:20 PM
I agree with Sarahnev. I have a few over 8s and I like them an awful lot but I just got rid of one child (luckily the mum got a new job and saved me from having to do the dirty work) who was so forward and rude (teaching my 3 year old to stick up her middle finger for starters) that I will never take on another one without leaving myself an out in case we don't get on. NCMA contracts have a settling in area in which you can specify an amount of time for it and within that period, either party can cancel the agreement without notice if it's not working out. Granted, it's the same for under 8s but we tend to think older kids don;t need as much time to get used to us and that they'll adjust to us more readily. To be honest, I'm more worried about whether I'll adjust to them!:laughing:

yummymummy
12-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I don't cover after school only anymore. I felt that they all bickered and argued too much. My house is much more serene now even though obviously the all day littlees are still here but the older ones caused so many problems.
If I were again (but I won't!) to take any on I would definitely have some settling in/trial sessions to see how they all got on!
I've learned the hard way!!!!!;)

HilaryT
12-03-2008, 08:13 PM
What a variety of experiences we all have! I have a great mixture of ages, and currently look after 8 part-time over 8's - some only come one day a week. I have to say they are absolutely wonderful with the little children, and they have a mutual admiration relationship going on. The main arguments we have are who's going to read the next story to the toddlers, or who's going to help with their arts and crafts!

I have very strict politeness and respect standards which are rigorously and consistently applied (which means really I'm an old battle axe!) but we have a great time.

I don't do settling in periods, but they come with their Mums or Dads for a look-around and meet me visit first.

Hilary

angeldelight
12-03-2008, 10:27 PM
I agree with you Hilary in all of your comments and I do the same

Angel xx

Rasharoon
13-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I have a 9 year old girl and she is no trouble at all (apart from tale telling but don't all girls). I did take on 9 year old twins back in January for after school care (boy and a girl) and they have given me nothing but a headache and made me extremely unhappy. I have given the mum notice who wasn't surprised (one of those ones that think they can do nothing wrong!!). I'm in the camp at the moment of no-more over 8's.
Good luck with it all and hope you get a nice one.

disney
13-03-2008, 05:41 PM
may be its down to their personality more than their age , idont know but your children hilary sound lovely reading stories ect . but my older child does not want read and tells the little ones to be quiet . she came to me first on her own and im sure thats how she would like things to have stayed .

any way ladyboss i think you would be fine didnt you say its only for 1 day a week then thats not to bad , i have mine every day you could give this one a try im sure you will make the right choice :thumbsup:

lady boss
13-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks everyone,

I guess it's down to pot luck how well behaved they are.
Fingers crossed that it works out ok, and yes Disney i guess it's just for one day so i think i'll take a chance.