PDA

View Full Version : Am I on the right track

PottyP
29-01-2010, 01:55 PM
I am so worried that I'm going to start off on the wrong foot with my obs and ass.

So far this is what I do, in each childs work folder There is a pre-printed all about me section which forms part of their learning journey file, in the settling in week we take a picture and I observe and ask questions and complete the pre-printed sheet, it has questions like I am ........ years old, I have a pet called....... etc etc, also in the file is an obs sheet which details the observation, the next step, links to EYFS.

Am I right that aslong as I observe one of each 6 areas of learning every 6 weeks that is sufficient ?.

Can I also include a tick sheet as an additional marker that each child is achieving where they should be or is that a no no ?

On the planning side, I have forward planning for 12 months I also have weekly planning sheets, where I make notes is this also sufficient.

I want to start right so that it just becomes natural, at the moment I feel like I am just drowning in paperwork, but I'm guessing thats how everyone has felt when they started out :blush: .

Paula x

nannymcflea
31-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi there, I don't think tick sheets are a big no no if they are used alongside obs and next steps but I personally wouldn't use them. If I were a parent with a child in a setting I would not want my child's abilities put into a box. I would be paranoid that they were behind in certain areas.

Does that make sense? I think it's lovely to be able to show parents a record of their child having fun but to keep the can do this can't do this part away from it all.

Does that make sense?