PDA

View Full Version : positives and negatives of an assistant please

little miss sunshine
28-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Hello to all you lovely childminders out there that already have an assistant working with them:laughing: Could I please have your positives and negatives on having an assistant. My niece texted me this morning and asked if she could be my assistant to get experience, working with little ones, she is 21 this year and I would love to help her but I am concerned as I don't know what having an assistant entails, whether its a good or bad thing. I hope you guys can help:thumbsup:
Janet x

beccas
28-01-2010, 01:43 PM
it depends if she wants paying if not takeher with both hands!!:laughing: my sister works with me she is on jobseekers at the min and i pay her £50 a week she has declared this and it made no difference to her js. she is registering as childminder now. I find haveing a assitant you have always got someone esle to bounce ideas off and to talk to and the kids arent always fighting for attention when doing crafts. it also helps as a extra pair of hands. It depends on your relationship you need to set the rules form the off, get her crb'd through ofsted and if you are sure get her to come and get experience.

little miss sunshine
28-01-2010, 02:06 PM
it depends if she wants paying if not takeher with both hands!!:laughing: my sister works with me she is on jobseekers at the min and i pay her £50 a week she has declared this and it made no difference to her js. she is registering as childminder now. I find haveing a assitant you have always got someone esle to bounce ideas off and to talk to and the kids arent always fighting for attention when doing crafts. it also helps as a extra pair of hands. It depends on your relationship you need to set the rules form the off, get her crb'd through ofsted and if you are sure get her to come and get experience.

Mmmm how much is job seekers allowance?? if you don't mind me asking:blush: I could mention this to her..

mamasheshe
28-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Mmmm how much is job seekers allowance?? if you don't mind me asking:blush: I could mention this to her..
£65 a week plus HB if needed i think

beccas
28-01-2010, 06:48 PM
i think she gets about £100 and something every 2 weeks so thats about right. she just tells them she is doing it for experience while job hunting at the same time. tell her to tell them its less than 16 hrs a week and part voluntary.

piglet1973
02-05-2010, 08:12 PM
i employ my mum full time and it works fantastically but she is my mum and we have a great relationship and altho she works for me we are equals all round she helps with everything! i did work once with another childminder in my house she was my best friend and we had worked together for 5 yrs in a nursery b4 minding we fell out big time after doing it for 2 yrs it was horrid i lost my best friend and my then partner lol!!!! ( she ran off with my partner) i could definetly never work so closely again with anyone but my mummy xx

sarah707
02-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I work with my partner.

It's good and works really well for the children.

It allows me to play with them while he cooks which is great as well.

I'd say be clear about your jobs... who is doing what, so there are no upsets down the line. :D

Pauline
02-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Graham is my assistant.

Positives:

Having an adult to talk to
another pair of hands during messy play
someone to watch the children so you can go to the loo alone!!
someone to push another buggy so you don't have to have a double
someone else to take a turn at wiping runny noses
someone to lend a hand when you don't feel 100%

The list is endless, after working for many years on my own I find him invaluable.

Negatives? Non for us, but then we were already a team, not sure I would want to work with anyone else, they wouldn't put up with me. ;)

little_gems
05-05-2010, 08:05 PM
i employ my mum full time and it works fantastically but she is my mum and we have a great relationship and altho she works for me we are equals all round she helps with everything! i did work once with another childminder in my house she was my best friend and we had worked together for 5 yrs in a nursery b4 minding we fell out big time after doing it for 2 yrs it was horrid i lost my best friend and my then partner lol!!!! ( she ran off with my partner) i could definetly never work so closely again with anyone but my mummy xx

OMG I cant believe this,

And I love working with my hubby as my assistant all the posatives as above, plus he gets to watch our children grow up and doesnt ahve to work 50 hours a week so we get on better :blush:

suzyblue
07-05-2010, 07:06 AM
I think for it to work well you need to get on with your assistant. Family members always seem to work well (I work with my daughter now but have worked with a friend in the past)

If the right person is available then its great but I wouldnt consider it otherwise.