PDA

View Full Version : 6 a.m - 9 p.m!!! yikes, what should i charge?

butterfli
28-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I have a prospective mindee, my first!! she is a 16mth girl, and the hours are 6am-9pm!!!!!! My hourly rate is £4.00, but at 15hrs a day, 5 days a week this works out at £300! This seems a lot of money to ask for, does anyone have any advice, I would be most grateful :thumbsup:

Thank you:laughing:

beccas
28-01-2010, 01:11 PM
i charge 3.50 per hour 7.30 till 6pm before and after this time i charge£5 per hour so dont worry its classed as unsocial hours. charge what you feel right doing.

jellytot
28-01-2010, 01:13 PM
wow that is an awful long time to have a lo. I would charge what your fee says it should be, also dont you charge extra for unsocialable hours e.g 6.30-8am time and half 8am-6pm normal hourly 6-9pm time and half. that is what I would do.

Pudding Girl
28-01-2010, 01:17 PM
poor little mite, don't mean to take business away from you but surely a Nanny would be better for the child?

Mollymop
28-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Don't feel bad for charging £300 a week, that is what your are offering and that is what the parents want, they must know it is going to cost them after all those hours

Most people charge more for the unsociable hours before 7 or 8am and after 6pm, so £300 is not as much as it could be if you were to charge extra for the unsociable hours

dlissaman
28-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I would not worry about what your charges work out to be. If the child's parents wish their child to be cared for by yourself for those hours that they have asked for they must be prepared to pay your rate.

What a long day for both yourself and the little one.

dlissaman

ORKSIE
28-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Poor little thing...do the parents ever get to see her.:panic:

£300 seems fair to me esp for those hours

Zoomie
28-01-2010, 01:29 PM
WOW, such long hours and for the whole week.

Not helping you, but makes you wonder why some parents have children :huh:

Joannechildmind
28-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Yes charge what you normally would for unsociable hours at the end of the day your working out of the usual working hours, it has to be worthwhile for you to be up and ready for 6am.
Your very brave lol

PixiePetal
28-01-2010, 01:38 PM
That would be nearer £390 for my rates! and that does not include food :rolleyes:

I hope the job is worth it for parents as I would hate to not see my children all week like that!

Merry-Minder
28-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I couldnt imagine many minders wanting to take on those long hours - if you are willing to do them, then I would take advantage of that fact and charge whatever you see fit.
Like the others have said I would consider an out of hours fee and maybe you should charge more - I expect as its your first you are quite excited, but remember the novelty will soon wear off and youll be stuck with wishing you asked for more.

Good luck. xxx

Curly Quavers
28-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I have a prospective mindee, my first!! she is a 16mth girl, and the hours are 6am-9pm!!!!!! My hourly rate is £4.00, but at 15hrs a day, 5 days a week this works out at £300! This seems a lot of money to ask for, does anyone have any advice, I would be most grateful :thumbsup:

Thank you:laughing:

It's a lot of money becuase it is a LOT of hours. (to many I think for a 16 month old)

I don't think you should charge any less that £4.00 per hour if that is your price. The parents must know hours like that do not come cheep and they will presumably be getting paid for the hours they are working to.

How far away from you to they like. Taking a 16 month old home at 9pm getting home then being up and ready to get her back to you for 6am - it sounds bonkers to me.

Twinkles
28-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Hardly seems worth giving her back !

The silly people will miss her precious babyhood :panic:

Curly Quavers
28-01-2010, 01:51 PM
WOW, such long hours and for the whole week.

Not helping you, but makes you wonder why some parents have children :huh:

I agree,

Why bother having kids of your just weekend parents.

They would be as well giving her to you 6am Monday morning and collect Friday 9pm she would get more sleep at night if nothing else.

Rant Over

Straws
28-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I couldnt look after a child till that late at night, when will you get to spend time with your own family. 6.30 is the latest I would work until

Straws xx

wendywu
28-01-2010, 02:35 PM
I would want £70. per day so thats £350 per week. But i would not do those hours, its too much.:(

mamasheshe
28-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I would want £70. per day so thats £350 per week. But i would not do those hours, its too much.:(

don't think i would be happy working till 9.00 either. but child might go to sleep at 7 like most children (correct me if i'm wrong) charge what you like £300 seems cheap to be working those hours and parents will not find many that will .

Tatjana
28-01-2010, 04:59 PM
It's not too much, you'll be earning that £300 and more imo.

Good luck!

xx

Ripeberry
28-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Think very carefully about this one, are you registered for overnight care? Do they expect you to work through the holidays as well? How is it going to impact on your own familly?
I would charge a whole extra £1 for any hours over your 'core hours'. Are they going to do gentle settling in, or will you have the child straight away for 15 hours :eek:
Also make sure they pay you up front...no excuses.
See how it goes with the settling in period as at least then you can pull out if it all gets too much :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
28-01-2010, 06:04 PM
You will be working over 75 hrs a week for less than the minimum wage :eek:

sweets
28-01-2010, 06:07 PM
you might as well just adopt the poor child! :)

how come the parents work such long hours, what do they do?

Alibali
28-01-2010, 06:12 PM

That's just what I was going to say!

Far too long for a little mite that age to be left in childcare, why bother having children:(

sandy64
28-01-2010, 06:17 PM
wow what long hrs what job do they do? do you normarly work long unsociable hrs? i have done 12hr days before with older kids but found it was too much for me and kids i did have them 2yrs but wont do it again. make sure you do settling in period and get paid up front. hope it works for you. :)
hi sorry that wasnt youre question was it you wanted to know what to charge i would charge your normal rate then your overtime rate before 8am and after 6pm plus have a strict pickup time with late payment charged at £5 per ten mins as you may find you work later or earlier some people to take us for granted. good luck

Pudding Girl
28-01-2010, 06:37 PM
late payment charged at £5 per ten mins as you may find you work later or earlier some people to take us for granted. good luck

good point this - are the long hours are because it's medical staff? if so there may be times they simply cannot clock off in the midst of something can they?

I'd really think long and hard about this one.

jo f
28-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I would really think about your family life, u would only really be winding down at 9.30
I had a call like this- first i saw the £££ signs but being reaistic I have 2 young children of my own who need mummy time- they do well to share me all day as it is
a hubby who needs hubby time
then lastly poor old me time!!!!!!! ( well I mean tidying, paperwork....!)
My fella works shifts so I would have found it impossible to put my 2 to bed and have another, who rightly so would I presume be cranky from such a long day poor little mite

BUT..... If you think it could work for you give it a trial period but DONT charge any less!!!!!! I charge time and a half before 7 and after 6.

LittleStar's
28-01-2010, 06:53 PM
I couldnt do those hours myself, I look after a 1 yr old from 7.30 till 6.30 and thats a long enough day!! You will have no evening!!!

But I think £300 is way too cheap My rates would work out at £320 but I think I would probably charge a little extra just because there such unsociable hours! I would probably roung that upto £350.

Dont forget you have to be up and ready by the time they arrive in the morning!!

I feel very sorry for the child! they will be getting up at what 5am and then at your house untill 9pm then they have to get home and into bed ! I just wouldnt do it !

Good Luck, I think you will need it, they are obviously very career minded people! :)

Gizmo
28-01-2010, 07:47 PM
it is such a long day £300 isnt too much to ask
I mind a lo who is nearly 1 7.30-6.30 4 days a week and I feel he is here more than with parents they bath him and put him to bed and I definatly dont charge enough for the hours I have him

ORKSIE
28-01-2010, 09:33 PM

That also went through my mind.

What do they do for a living!!!!

The Juggler
29-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I agree,

Why bother having kids of your just weekend parents.

They would be as well giving her to you 6am Monday morning and collect Friday 9pm she would get more sleep at night if nothing else.

Rant Over

that's a bit harsh. when I was working I had to drop my kids at 7.30, hubby colllected at 4.30 but often I didn't see them before bed as I got home at 8pm. :blush: It wasn't my choice but to keep my job I had to work those hours. I commuted so 1 1/2 each way! I looked for somewhere nearer home but couldn't - that's why I ended up minding. Not everyone does it out of choice - I certainly didn't:(

LisaMcNally09
30-01-2010, 10:49 AM
that's a bit harsh. when I was working I had to drop my kids at 7.30, hubby colllected at 4.30 but often I didn't see them before bed as I got home at 8pm. :blush: It wasn't my choice but to keep my job I had to work those hours. I commuted so 1 1/2 each way! I looked for somewhere nearer home but couldn't - that's why I ended up minding. Not everyone does it out of choice - I certainly didn't:(

I agree!! When I was working I dropped kids off at 7:30 then picked them up at 6pm. By the time we got home it was bath and bed then on a Saturday their dad had them all day.

Thats why i started minding but minding isnt for everyone. IMO you can only do it if you are passionate about it and if the parents arent they might not have any other choice at the moment.

tigger
31-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I agree with the others if you charge your hourly rate till 6pm and then for the remaining 3 hours charge time and a half. The parents already know that for this service they will be paying alot for it regardless, they would have to pay more for a Nanny as they would also have to put her tax and NI on top of the basic salary that she/he would be getting. But if you have children of your own think carefully about doing so many hours yourself, as it will have a big impact on your family life aswell.

zillervalley
31-01-2010, 11:11 AM
think you have to charge the money

this lady wants the hours you charge

nanny would be best for her, but thats not what she is asking for at the minute for her childs childcare

go for it if you want the hours

ziller

Pudding Girl
31-01-2010, 11:15 AM
So Butterfli, what happened?

carlen222
31-01-2010, 03:53 PM
wow 6am - 9pm!!!! what a shame for the wee one!!!! thats going to be tough on all your family having her those hours. id definatly be charging for the unsociable hours too!!! if there wanting to have those hours then they must be willing to pay!! must be in well paid job to afford childcare for all those hours!!! xx

Desi-101
02-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Long hours to work, have you thought of maybe doing a job-share with another childminder...maybe get the other one to have the child evenings!:)

kindredspirits
02-02-2010, 08:59 AM
i would definately charge unsocial hours for 6am-7.30am and 7pm-9pm which for me is double time, but at least time and a half! don't feel bad charging for your service, she wants a lot of hours and you are willing to provide them!

Chatterbox Childcare
02-02-2010, 09:04 AM
I got it to £400 per week

6am - 8am and 6pm tp 9pm = 5 hours per day = 25 hours per week at double time = £200

8am - 6pm = £40 x 5 days = £200

Total £400 per week

Alibali
02-02-2010, 01:46 PM
She'd be better with a nanny or au pair so that the lo can get to bed at a decent time, alternatively, if she is willing to pay the £400 a week you could do it and take lo home to bed - you wouldn't need to mind anyone else:thumbsup: