PDA

View Full Version : help! planning advice needed

rachb82
28-01-2010, 10:14 AM
hi there,

i am a newly registered childminder and i am just beginning my planning.
i wondered how other childminders know what topics they need to cover each month and where i could find them as my mind is completely boggled and i dont really know what topics i should be planning and when.
If anyone has any advice or useful links then i would very much appreciate them

beccas
28-01-2010, 12:08 PM
i pick an area a month and then i sort weekly from there for example i have done nature this month, bird watching count, making nests and bird feeders, pictures etc also incorpating festival days throughout month.

next month i am doing gardens and flowers, planting bulbs, making flowers, then i will move on to transport, then all about me hope this helps i use a 2 year rolling planning so i dont have to keep doing it.

candy cat
28-01-2010, 12:12 PM
HI.....ME TOO :panic: LOL! i HAVEN'T GOT ANY CHILDREN YET,BUT INTERVIEWED THE OTHER DAY SO FINGERS CROSSED....

I have started planning as whilst I have the time and my first topic will be 'all about me',that way I get get to know the child/children better.

Some CM follow school topics,but you can do what you like.....Also, all the events each month.ie valentines,mothers day etc.

You could do animals,seasons, people,vehicles,festivals...............loads of sites to get resources etc

I have bought from Sarah (on here) a guide to planning which as been brill as it is so simple to do,but it just helps getting a kick start in ideas and she is very methodical in her way of doing it and it is easy to follow.

hope that helps a bit cx

rachb82
28-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks ladies that very helpful! :excited:
I wasnt sure if i had to follow specific topics each month or whether i could just pick my own. How do i find out what topics schools plan for troughout the year? do you think they would be able to give me a copy of their yearly topics or is that unreasonable to ask?

sarah707
28-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Thank you for your lovely comments Denni! :blush:

The best way I find to plan is to use a combination of things...

Children's interests - spotted from observations

Things they are doing elsewhere - mostly I ask them or look at the displays when I am picking them up

Things parents say they have done / are doing at home

THEN I think about my group planning which focusses on celebrations locally and in the community, special occasions etc.

There are lots of ideas in the activity section of the forum as well :D