PDA

View Full Version : anyone know about tax credits?

Fluff
27-01-2010, 03:00 PM
afternoon! Hope everyones well and happy!

Ive suddenly realised i havnt told tax credits im now working! oops!
BUT, im only working 12 hours a week so do i have to tell them?

Im just worried that if i tell them they will cut my money cause with only working 12 hours a week at the mo i cant afford a cut of any kind!:panic:

what do i do???

carlen222
27-01-2010, 03:52 PM
have you gone from no employment into employment?? i went from being on income support as a single parent to working as childminder and the boost the tax credits gives me is amazing!!! i make next to nothing on my minding but its fair bounced up with the working tax credits!!! they were also paying 70 or 80% of my sons playgroup fees!!!! and now that im working over 30 hours i get more money as they have a thing called the 30 hour element' so you may think they will be making cuts but if your in any situation similar to me the tax credits are amazing!!! xx

FizzysFriends
27-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Tax credits doesn't come into play until you are working 16 hours I don't think. If you are claiming any IS you have to tell them.

SimplyLucy
27-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Are you sure you are only working 12 hours a week?

Don't forget to add on paperwork time, preparation, training, etc.

As soon as you are working 16 hours you need to tell them....you may be better off.

You can go on the tax credits website and do an estimation to work out if you'd get working tax credits and be better off.

The easy way of working out your income is to work out how much the parents are paying you then divide by 3, give that number as your income estimate.

carlen222
27-01-2010, 05:47 PM
The easy way of working out your income is to work out how much the parents are paying you then divide by 3, give that number as your income estimate.

whats the divide by 3 all about?? not understanding. i just kept phoning each time i took on another child, my hours were at 39.5 (minding hours) i have lost a child on a monday now so my hours are down to 34, i havent informed them my hours and income are less as ive since been told you have to way over estimate your earnings else at the end of the year the tax credits will demand money back!!:eek:

Fluff
27-01-2010, 08:17 PM
My Hubby works full time, fairly decent wage (before the tax man takes his chunk!) so im not sure wed get any extra, were on the minimum at the moment and arnt entitled to working families credit, just child tax,

gonna have to brave it and phone them tommorow

carlen222
27-01-2010, 08:40 PM
My Hubby works full time, fairly decent wage (before the tax man takes his chunk!) so im not sure wed get any extra, were on the minimum at the moment and arnt entitled to working families credit, just child tax,

gonna have to brave it and phone them tommorow

yeah best keep yourself right, as they could find out somehow and make you pay back a huge chunk, just hope your not left hanging on the line for too long!!! i find if you phone around 8.30 not too bad but leave it till after 5 and your just wasting your time xx

Fluff
27-01-2010, 08:47 PM
thanks for the tip!:)

geordiebunny
27-01-2010, 09:59 PM
if your already on the minimum then wont make much difference and you have upto 3 months to inform them of the change. if you really want you can send them a letter rather than hanging on the phone.
I am so glad I still get to use the staff line for any changes dont think I could handle the wait time on the normal number.