PDA

View Full Version : How many L&D areas do you try and cover per month???

Leelee
23-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Just wondering how people do this cus it baffles me tbh! How long does it take you to do obs, covering all 6 areas, for each child??? Someone told me that they do the 6 areas every month for each child??? Is that right? 6 obs per child every month?

sarah707
23-01-2010, 09:44 AM
You'd easily be able to spot 6 things a month for a part timer so long as you focus on what you are looking for!

it's a matter of getting to know the ages and stages information really well so that you can link things back.

Last week my 3 year old...

Psed - shared a toy - he doesn't normally, so this went down as a wow moment;

Cll - brought his favourite book from home to share with me;

Psr&n - lined up some cars and counted them using his counting finger... 1, 2, 4, 12(!);

Kuw - investigated pretend snow at childminding group;

Pd - jumped to sleeping bunnies song and said 'look how high I can jump Sarah' (psr&n);

Cd - made some lovely pictures of snowmen which we photographed for his learning journey - so that's my photo obs done too!

I usually have too much information and have to decide what's telling me something about progression before I write it up!

Hth :D

cs01
23-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Sarah707

Do you write your obs down as simply as they are listed above?

I'm ok with writing down obs - but not sure what I am then supposed to do with them, ie should I be thinking up ways of how to then move the child on? I don't always think its possible to do so but feel I should be. I have loads of short one line obs that are linked to the 6 areas of learning but I get the impression we are then supposed to plan activities around the obs I have done to show how we are moving that child on and tbh, thats where I get stuck!

Thanks

sarah707
23-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Some obs naturally lead to next steps... some stand alone.

Yes I pretty much write what I see or hear... the child says or does xx and the next steps might be yy, depending on the situation.

Every month I do try to write up a longer obs but not always, sometimes they are not necessary.

So long as you are showing progression, that's the most important!

:D

TheBTeam
23-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Same here Sarah, I have lots of bits and again feel like I want to put them somewhere but they arent always clearly showing a progression, but i am thinking because the parents are a bit slack in what they do with the stuff, i am going to get a second scrap book for all their stuff and isolate some bits to go into the learning journey.

Leelee
24-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks for that! Just wanted to make sure that I was going to do it right and wasnt going over the top, lol! 6 a month it is x