PDA

View Full Version : Anyone set up chilminding in rented house - urgent help needed please

sam39uk
20-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Hi been a member for a while since starting registration process in August 09 - slowly but surely getting there - just got first aid to go and crb to come back for my assistant.

My query is - we live in a privately rented house - perfect for minding as large, seperate playroom - near to schools and hospitals etc etc - when we first moved here we asked the landlords ( a really nice couple who live in yorkshire) if they would mind me becoming a childminder at some time in the future - just to be polite as I couldnt find any info to say otherwise. They said they had no problem at all with it, that was over a year ago. I have been on mat leave and have now given notice not to return to work after 20 years working full time and told my landlords i was starting spring 2010. They contacted the agents who are working on their behalf and they said there was a claus in their tenancy agreement which states that the house CANNOT be used for any business use at all. I searched the internet for info and found someone who stated that its up to the landlord as its their house and nothing to do with the agent. They would not budge - even though we said we would pay for a solicitor to add a paragraph to the tenancy agreement to ignore this and add as a private agreement between me and the LLord.

Now I have just heard from my landlord saying the solicitor is drawing up a new private contract from 1st march and that his bill is going to be £500 plus VAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant afford that! and dont know what to do - no one I can find has ever had to do this.... has anyone got any experience of this? I need correct info - quick as they are going to see solicitor on thursday!!!!

please please please!!!

sam - in Lincoln

clio0602
20-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Hiya I was in similar position. My agent said to ignore the bit that says no business use as it was different for childminding. My landlord has written a letter to say that I have permission to use this address for childminding.

No talk of solicitors etc

Can your landlord not just write you a letter?

Good luck

HTH Claire

Zoomie
20-01-2010, 06:31 PM
I believe a lot of councils do not classify childminding as a business ... could you check with your council and get a letter to support this, if it is the case, cos then no need to get your LL permission.

I wouldn't go down the solicitor course, for a rented premises, it isn't worth the expense, you are better off moving to a more accommodating LL.

ninagee
20-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi

I am also in rented accommodation so I wrote to the landlord via the agency asking permission. Received a letter in return with the permission. Didn't use solicitors at all. Even our house contents insurance company does not class childminding as a 'business'.

Does the landlord need to have a private agreement via solicitors? Would just a permission letter suffice? Have you mentioned that you would have public liability insurance? Could that change his mind to give you just a permission letter.

I had read some forums before we rented and it can also all depend on the agency's tenancy agreement. Sorry can't be any more help.

Nina xx :)

Twinkle
20-01-2010, 09:15 PM
My landlady is a close friend of mine, all I needed from her was a letter giving permission.

The only problem could be that the landlord/lady need to inform the mortgage company that you want to work from home. The mortgage company will more than likely insist that further insurance is needed by the landlord. This is to cover the landlord in case either the childminder or parent sue them if a child is injured on the premises i.e. tripping over loose tiles or being electrocuted by faulty wiring.

That was a couple of years ago and things may have changed but hope this helps.

FizzysFriends
20-01-2010, 09:55 PM
I believe a lot of councils do not classify childminding as a business ... could you check with your council and get a letter to support this, if it is the case, cos then no need to get your LL permission.

It doesn't matter what the council class it as, getting paid for a service provided from home is working from home and permission needs to be got from the LL.

Do you have contact details for the LL? IF you have I would contact them and talk it through,tell them all you need is a letter to show ofsted and offer them proof of your insurance.

geordiebunny
20-01-2010, 11:23 PM
contact the landlord direct and just ask for a letter, write to the council planning explaining you wish to become a childminder and they will review it and get back to you, I have a written approval from my landlord and my council that no further action is needed. I have the same tenancy by the sounds of it and because I have written permission from landlord that is all that is needed no change to my old or new tenancy.
Good luck hope you get it sorted without any extra cost.

sam39uk
21-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for all your replies!!! wow!

Just to clarify - they know the score with the liability insurance and I really dont know what is their main concern - I have spoken many times about our plans and the fact I will only be taking a couple of mindees and also they like us as tenants as we do our own repairs and have decorated and also pay - we love the house and look after it like our own. they used to have students who didnt pay and wrecked the place! So I dont think they want us to leave but I do think their solicitor is barking up the wrong tree and hasnt got a clue!!!

They are going to see him today to see whats involved so will wait to hear. Ive told them Im not paying that much though....