PDA

View Full Version : SHORT DATE / OR OUT OF DATE FOOD - WOULD YOU BUY ?

angeldelight
18-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Do you buy food that is out of date if it looks ok and its a lot cheaper?

Would you buy it if its only got a short date left on it ?

A recent survey recently reported that more and more people are buying " out of date " food

Families struggling to beat the credit crunch are flocking to buy cut-price food that is past its ‘best before’ date.

The bargain-hunters are following the advice of experts, who say that such food – while not in optimum condition – is often perfectly safe to eat.

Just out of interest I wondered what everyones views were ?

I always tend to throw things out and I do think I waste a lot of food this way - I suppose it could really be safe to use but I just do not " like to risk it "

Here are 2 websites that are doing really well - look at the price difference too

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/

http://www.foodbargains.co.uk/

Do you throw your food out like I do ? Or do you buy food when its out of date ?

Angel xx

Blackhorse
18-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I have worked in a supermarket before and I have seen things that have changed my mind about sellby dates forever...

so i tend to not go by them much to be honest. i trust my nose more than a date on a product...

i buy a lot from farmers and the things dont come with sell by dates!

I wouldnt use fish that is past its sellby date and with meat i am reluctant but will check it if it is in the house if it is still ok to use or not.

i wouldt go out of my way to buy it though

if i buy in the supermarket i get the stuff at the back of the shelfe as the new stuff is at the back and the old stuff at the front

I am also convinced that they put a shorter date on to keep themselves safe...

miffy
18-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I am really bad and won't eat or buy anything that is out of date - I drive my hubby mad because I throw things away if they are even one day out of date - he will eat them but I won't.

Miffy xx

LOOPYLISA
18-01-2010, 08:27 PM
I am really bad and won't eat or buy anything that is out of date - I drive my hubby mad because I throw things away if they are even one day out of date - he will eat them but I won't.

Miffy xx

This is me to a tee, and hubs eat anything !

Blackhorse
18-01-2010, 08:28 PM
ok here is an example

cheese from the deli counter....some are prepacked in plastic celphane and have a sticker on them,....

we were told to go through it and see if the date is out of date or nearly getting there...as a lot of people will be reluctant to buy it then..
so the packaging got taken off and put on a again with a new sticker and so a new sell by date well in the future....

obviously if the cheese was mouldy etc we were allowed to throw it out...

Alibali
18-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Oh gosh, can you imagine the headlines if we fed the lo's out of date food!!

I only give it to dh:laughing: :laughing:

PixiePetal
18-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I don't but it out of date but if it goes out of 'sell by' date while in the cupboard would usually eat it - don't give it to mindees though!

I buy packaged meat on the day cheap for using that night or freezing.

Dh is eating up out of date mince pies now :) He HATES waste with a passion so usually does what his mum (bless her RIP :blush: ) used to say and 'clears it up'.

DD has a sick phobia and will not touch anything out of date - I put my foot down when she stopped eating things if she thought it was getting near to the date.

I won't eat ripe bananas for anyone :panic: Luckily DH won't eat them unless they have brown spots - a perfect team!

I am more careful with dairy and poultry.

We don't get ill often and if we are it's nothing I could put down to food.

Interested to hear other points of view.

TheBTeam
I know of a person who worked for a well known lager manufacturer, he said they used to put a year use by date on it and it slowed sales down. They now put a 6 month use by date on it, this proves that sometimes it is to manipulate sales.

onceinabluemoon
Totally depends on what it is.

I've has meat 'go off' within its sell buy date but milk and bread be fine after it.

Cheese (hard cheese) I quite often eat after its sell by date cos cheese is aged so a sell buy date seems mad!

I would never buy anything past its USE BY date but have bought things past their sell by dates providing they're still within their use by dates (but rarely chicken or pork cos they're nasty when off)

There was some talk about banning sell by dates on certain foods as there is so much food wasted but I don't know what came of that.

angeldelight
18-01-2010, 08:31 PM

Miffy xx

Sounds like me ha ha

Angel xx

PixiePetal
18-01-2010, 08:32 PM
looks like lots of husbands eat the out of date food :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
18-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Hubs ate a ham and leek pie the other night, nearly 2 weeks out of date :eek: :panic:

madasahatter
18-01-2010, 08:33 PM
I will often use things that are past their use by date for me and my family (but not mindees) because usually you can tell if they are not ok. Meat reeks awful when it has gone off, yoghurts blow up, milk goes sour (as does cream), eggs are not off until they float in water, fruit and veg go wizzened/mouldy/slimy. However I won't use things like sliced meats if they've reached their use by dates.

Best before dates on tins and dried goods are often there for stock control and rotation purposes. Tinned goods in particular should last decades if the tin is not damaged. A best before date is a guideline, after which, the manufacturer says, the goods may deteriorate.

angeldelight
18-01-2010, 08:34 PM
looks like lots of husbands eat the out of date food :laughing:

It would explain a lot :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry Gareth if you are reading ha ha

Angel xx

angeldelight
18-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Hubs ate a ham and leek pie the other night, nearly 2 weeks out of date :eek: :panic:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

It makes me feel ill just thinking of it ha ha

Angel xx

LOOPYLISA
18-01-2010, 08:35 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

It makes me feel ill just thinking of it ha ha

Angel xx

I know yuk

He then turned to me and said did i want some :panic:

angeldelight
18-01-2010, 08:36 PM
I know yuk

He then turned to me and said did i want some :panic:

Yuk Yuk

That is horrible :laughing:

Angel xx

PixiePetal
18-01-2010, 08:37 PM

I would not eat that...yuk!

Blackhorse
18-01-2010, 08:37 PM
I will often use things that are past their use by date for me and my family (but not mindees) because usually you can tell if they are not ok. Meat reeks awful when it has gone off, yoghurts blow up, milk goes sour (as does cream), eggs are not off until they float in water, fruit and veg go wizzened/mouldy/slimy. However I won't use things like sliced meats if they've reached their use by dates.

Best before dates on tins and dried goods are often there for stock control and rotation purposes. Tinned goods in particular should last decades if the tin is not damaged. A best before date is a guideline, after which, the manufacturer says, the goods may deteriorate.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

charleyfarley
18-01-2010, 08:39 PM

Miffy xx

I'm the same, if it's out of date then I won't eat it, even if it looks ok. Daz goes mad at me as we waste so much food by me throwing it away. Shame the fattening foods never last long enough to go out of date :D Ithre a hole carrier bag full of food out of the fridge today, not good :panic:

Daz'll eat anything regardless of dates, he's just not bothered, cast iron stomach.

Carol xx

angeldelight
18-01-2010, 08:39 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Think of Lisa`s hubby eating that pie - that will stop you feeling hungry tonight :laughing:

Angel xx

Blackhorse
18-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Think of Lisa`s hubby eating that pie - that will stop you feeling hungry tonight :laughing:

Angel xx

not really coz i wouldnt have thrown it out either if it looked ok!!!

ajs
18-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Do you buy food that is out of date if it looks ok and its a lot cheaper?

Would you buy it if its only got a short date left on it ?

A recent survey recently reported that more and more people are buying " out of date " food

Families struggling to beat the credit crunch are flocking to buy cut-price food that is past its ‘best before’ date.

The bargain-hunters are following the advice of experts, who say that such food – while not in optimum condition – is often perfectly safe to eat.

Just out of interest I wondered what everyones views were ?

I always tend to throw things out and I do think I waste a lot of food this way - I suppose it could really be safe to use but I just do not " like to risk it "

Here are 2 websites that are doing really well - look at the price difference too

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/

http://www.foodbargains.co.uk/

Do you throw your food out like I do ? Or do you buy food when its out of date ?

Angel xx

yes i do buy it and eat it out of date, if it looks ok, smells ok and tastes ok it is ok

ajs
18-01-2010, 08:45 PM

this is absolutely me and my policy to out of date foods

LOOPYLISA
18-01-2010, 08:45 PM

Angel xx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Annie_T
18-01-2010, 11:21 PM
best before only really means best before to get the best taste, texture etc but can be eaten/drank after this time.

use by means use by the date as has something that could up set you etc

ive eaten things gone past the date and mainly been ok - does depend on what it is x

sonia ann
19-01-2010, 06:47 AM

this is what i do as well:clapping: :clapping:

singlewiththree
19-01-2010, 06:53 AM
I go by look and smell rather than date. I always buy reduced bread at the supermarket and freeze it as we go through a loaf a day at the moment and if I buy the cheap stuff they all moan so I buy the dear stuff reduced instead!

I'm careful with fish and dairy products, however I also freeze my dd's goats milk to make sure i don't run out.

Roseolivia
19-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Absolutly not, i am so fussy about dates on food, i try to find the longest date on all fresh food and if it smells different i won't eat it. I got food poisoning when i was a kid and still remember it.:panic:

Daddy Day Care
19-01-2010, 04:22 PM
YUck Yuck Yuck Yuck

I wont eat any food on the day its goes out of date let alone afterwards ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I am fussy when it coems to food tho as many of you know wiuth the food that i wont eat.

Im worst with milk, my wife could get up and open a bottle of milk 20 minutes before me and id have to open a fresh bottle of milk, cant have milk thats already been opened :panic: :panic: (shuddering thinking about it)

Actualy had an argument with my wife today, she sent dd school today with a roll that was yesterdays date :eek: :eek: they felt stale yesterday god knows what they felt like today the poor thing.

My father in law makes me sick, he will eat anything out of date, he often has cheese in the firdge with mould on, he will cut the mould off and then use the cheese ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Gareth
xx

TheBTeam
19-01-2010, 05:18 PM
YUck Yuck Yuck Yuck
My father in law makes me sick, he will eat anything out of date, he often has cheese in the firdge with mould on, he will cut the mould off and then use the cheese ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Gareth
xx

My mil used to be like this, i found stuff in her cupboards in tins 10 years out of date, she said it'll be fine its in a tin! And jam she would scrape the mould off the top!:eek: Cheese cut round it!:eek:

Blackhorse
19-01-2010, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=Daddy Day Care;618731
Im worst with milk, my wife could get up and open a bottle of milk 20 minutes before me and id have to open a fresh bottle of milk, cant have milk thats already been opened :panic: :panic: (shuddering thinking about it)
Gareth
xx[/QUOTE]

I would divorce you for this!!! :blush:

:D

Chatterbox Childcare
19-01-2010, 05:32 PM
It depends - I never go over the use by dates but "best buy" I do. Never cold meats but yes to cheese, milk and anything I can see is off or smell is off.

Trouble
19-01-2010, 06:05 PM
i would never eat or buy out of date anything:panic:

if its been open a few days it goes in the bin:panic:

if it doesnt look right it goes in the bin :panic:

even mindees food if its not nice and healthy bin it goes and i will not give out of date food to mindees it goes back in lunch box and the can do what ever they want with it

mamasheshe
19-01-2010, 06:18 PM
i'd eat most things out of date within reason

Daddy Day Care
19-01-2010, 06:36 PM
I would divorce you for this!!! :blush:

:D

lol my wife doesnt seem to mind it, she doesnt understand it but has gotten use to it. We only buy milk in 1 pints for this reason.

Gareth
xx

madasahatter
19-01-2010, 07:02 PM
YUck Yuck Yuck Yuck

I wont eat any food on the day its goes out of date let alone afterwards ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I am fussy when it coems to food tho as many of you know wiuth the food that i wont eat.

Im worst with milk, my wife could get up and open a bottle of milk 20 minutes before me and id have to open a fresh bottle of milk, cant have milk thats already been opened (shuddering thinking about it)

Actualy had an argument with my wife today, she sent dd school today with a roll that was yesterdays date they felt stale yesterday god knows what they felt like today the poor thing.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Didn't you start a thread about wanting to be a real man?:laughing: :laughing: ;)

flora
19-01-2010, 08:00 PM
We try not to waste too much, kids eat most things and they are still here :blush: hubbie too.

Think you have to use your common, if it looks mank don't eat it, if it smells mank then don't eat it.

As for the rest, I have been known to cut mould off cheese and use it and allsorts of other things I prob shouldn't admit too :blush: :D

Lou
19-01-2010, 08:27 PM
We try not to waste too much, kids eat most things and they are still here :blush: hubbie too.

Think you have to use your common, if it looks mank don't eat it, if it smells mank then don't eat it.

As for the rest, I have been known to cut mould off cheese and use it and allsorts of other things I prob shouldn't admit too :blush: :D

Totally agree, i dont care what date it says, if its looks and smells ok we will eat it and i have never been ill from it.

sonia ann
19-01-2010, 08:42 PM
I was brought up without sell by or use by dates on foods so we learned to use our senses of sight, smell and touch with a dash of common sense thrown in for good measure....I guess thats how I have continued in my own family.:)