PDA

View Full Version : update hand foot and month

childminder54
10-03-2008, 01:44 PM
phone was not working this morning so phoned the parent just in case she had tryed to phone me to let me know if the child was coming but she had not she said she had a print out from the doctor and it said not to exclude from nursery i told here that about 3 years ago all the children i looked after got it and 2 parents had it she then said adults cannot get it, i thought i know are you calling me a liar.she is still going to send here to nursary she will not send here to me tomorrow if im not happy but ive just looked on paper work ive got from health protectio agency and it states recommed period to be kept away from school nursery or childminding none so what is going on has anybody got a website were it tells the parent to keep at home.

thanks veronicaxxx:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

deeb66
10-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi Veronica

The latest guidence is no exclusion but it is only a guidence.

You are not a school/nursery and it is entirely up to you if you wish to accept this child or not.......it is your business!

fionamal
10-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Thhis is what I have on the disease:-

Is HFMD contagious?

Yes, HFMD is moderately contagious. Infection is spread from person to person by direct contact with nose and throat discharges, saliva, fluid from blisters, or the stool of infected persons. A person is most contagious during the first week of the illness. HFMD is not transmitted to or from pets or other animals.

How soon will someone become ill after getting infected?

The usual period from infection to onset of symptoms ("incubation period") is 3 to 7 days. Fever is often the first symptom of HFMD.

Who is at risk for HFMD?

HFMD occurs mainly in children under 10 years old, but may also occur in adults too. Everyone is at risk of infection, but not everyone who is infected becomes ill. Infants, children, and adolescents are more likely to be susceptible to infection and illness from these viruses, because they are less likely than adults to have antibodies and be immune from previous exposures to them. Infection results in immunity to the specific virus, but a second episode may occur following infection with a different member of the enterovirus group.

What are the risks to pregnant women exposed to children with HFMD?

Because enteroviruses, including those causing HFMD, are very common, pregnant women are frequently exposed to them, especially during summer and fall months. As for any other adults, the risk of infection is higher for pregnant women who do not have antibodies from earlier exposures to these viruses, and who are exposed to young children - the primary spreaders of enteroviruses.

Most enterovirus infections during pregnancy cause mild or no illness in the mother. Although the available information is limited, currently there is no clear evidence that maternal enteroviral infection causes adverse outcomes of pregnancy such as abortion, stillbirth, or congenital defects. However, mothers infected shortly before delivery may pass the virus to the newborn. Babies born to mothers who have symptoms of enteroviral illness around the time of delivery are more likely to be infected. Most newborns infected with an enterovirus have mild illness, but, in rare cases, they may develop an overwhelming infection of many organs, including liver and heart, and die from the infection. The risk of this severe illness in newborns is higher during the first two weeks of life.

Strict adherence to generally recommended good hygienic practices by the pregnant woman (see "Can HFMD be prevented?" below) may help to decrease the risk of infection during pregnancy and around the time of delivery.

When and where does HFMD occur?

Individual cases and outbreaks of HFMD occur worldwide, more frequently in summer and early autumn. In the recent past, major outbreaks of HFMD attributable to enterovirus 71 have been reported in some South East Asian countries (Malaysia, 1997; Taiwan, 1998).

How is HFMD diagnosed?

HFMD is one of many infections that result in mouth sores. Another common cause is oral herpesvirus infection, which produces an inflammation of the mouth and gums (sometimes called stomatitis). Usually, the physician can distinguish between HFMD and other causes of mouth sores based on the age of the patient, the pattern of symptoms reported by the patient or parent, and the appearance of the rash and sores on examination. A throat swab or stool specimen may be sent to a laboratory to determine which enterovirus caused the illness. Since the testing often takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain a final answer, the physician usually does not order these tests.

How is HFMD treated?

No specific treatment is available for this or other enterovirus infections. Symptomatic treatment is given to provide relief from fever, aches, or pain from the mouth ulcers.

Can HFMD be prevented?

Specific prevention for HFMD or other non-polio enterovirus infections is not available, but the risk of infection can be lowered by good hygienic practices. Preventive measures include frequent handwashing, especially after diaper changes (see "Handwashing" in: An Ounce of Prevention: Keeps the Germs Away), cleaning of contaminated surfaces and soiled items first with soap and water, and then disinfecting them by diluted solution of chlorine-containing bleach (made by mixing approximately ΒΌ cup of bleach with 1 gallon of water. (See more about cleaning and disinfecting in general in CDC's Prevention Resources). Avoidance of close contact (kissing, hugging, sharing utensils, etc.) with children with HFMD may also help to reduce of the risk of infection to caregivers.

HMFD in the childcare setting

HFMD outbreaks in child care facilities occur most often in the summer and fall months, and usually coincide with an increased number of cases in the community.

CDC has no specific recommendations regarding the exclusion of children with HFMD from child care programs, schools, or other group settings. Children are often excluded from group settings during the first few days of the illness, which may reduce the spread of infection, but will not completely interrupt it. Exclusion of ill persons may not prevent additional cases since the virus may be excreted for weeks after the symptoms have disappeared. Also, some persons excreting the virus, including most adults, may have no symptoms. Some benefit may be gained, however, by excluding children who have blisters in their mouths and drool or who have weeping lesions on their hands.

If an outbreak occurs in the child care setting:

Make sure that all children and adults use good handwashing technique, especially after diaper changes.

Thoroughly wash and disinfect contaminated items and surfaces using diluted solution of chlorine-containing bleach.

custardcream
10-03-2008, 01:56 PM
a couple of my mindees had this a while ago and my son ( age 12) then got it. The new guide lines are that the child does not need to be excluded from school, nursery etc and that it is very unusual for a child over the age of 10 to get it.
This was not the case about 10 years ago when my eldest son got it.He had to be excluded from play school.

sarah707
10-03-2008, 01:58 PM
I do wish they wouldn't change their minds on these things!

I personally do not want a child with me if they are better off at home with mum or dad... and when they are ill, that's where they ought to be :(

taiwallis
11-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Interesting! My doctor said that i SHOULD exclude children. They said the reason being that it is becoming more of an epedemic (spelling?) and it is becoming like chicken pox and so therefore should have the same quarantine. The reason they are saying is that in the last year or 2 there have been some exrememly life threatening cases. It is a VERY RARE side effect of the virus but they would rather minimise that risk.

Hope this helps.

taiwallis
11-03-2008, 09:50 AM
this is from NHS direct - i think that covers you doesn't it??:)

In some cases of hand, foot and mouth disease, the sores can become infected if your child scratches them. If this happens, the infection will need to be treated with antibiotics. Your GP will advise you about this.

If your child has hand, foot and mouth disease, you should keep them away from school, or playschool, until they have recovered. Remember that they will have been infectious before they had any symptoms (symptoms usually appear between 3-7 days after being infected), so they may have already passed on the infection. However, you should still inform a school, or playschool, if your child develops the disease, so that other parents can be made aware if necessary.

Pregnancy and hand, foot and mouth disease

If you are pregnant, the risk of hand, foot and mouth disease affecting you, or your baby is very low. However, if you develop the disease just before giving birth, there is a 65% chance you may pass it to your baby Babies born with hand, foot and mouth disease will usually only experience mild symptoms. However, in severe cases it can cause infection of the liver and heart. Infection of the major organs is potentially fatal. The risk of this type of infection is much higher in newborns who are two weeks old, or less.

There is also some evidence to suggest that, in very rare cases, catching hand, foot and mouth disease during your pregnancy may result in miscarriage. The risk of this happening is extremely small, but it is always best for you to contact your GP if you suspect you may have developed the condition during your pregnancy.

Although the risk of getting hand, foot and mouth disease while pregnant is low, it is best to avoid direct contact with anyone who has the condition in order to reduce the risk further.

taiwallis
11-03-2008, 09:52 AM
these are the complications my doctor was on about - just print this off and i am sure a parent will understand. xxx hope this has helped.

Viral meningitis

In rare cases, hand, foot and mouth disease can lead to viral meningitis. Viral meningitis is an infection of the meninges which are membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord. Viral meningitis is less severe than bacterial meningitis and most people will make a full recovery within two weeks. However, in severe cases it can cause weakness of the muscles, paralysis, speech disturbances, double vision or partial loss of the field of vision, and epileptic fits.

The symptoms of viral meningitis include:

fever,
drowsiness,
headache,
neck stiffness,
vomiting, ans
dislike of bright lights.
There is no specific treatment for viral meningitis. Rest and plenty of fluids are advised. Paracetamol can also be given to help lower a temperature and to ease pain and discomfort.

Encephalitis

In very rare cases, hand, foot and mouth disease can lead to encephalitis. Encephalitis is an infection that causes the brain tissue to swell and become inflamed. It can cause brain damage and is potentially life threatening.

Early signs of encephalitis can develop in a few hours or over a few days. The infection can affect almost any brain function, but the most common symptoms include:

severe headache,
fever,
vomiting,
drowsiness or confusion,
dislike of bright lights,
memory loss,
unable to speak,
unable to control movement properly,
weakness of one or more parts of the body,
behaviour that is out of character,
a change to any of the senses - touch, taste, smell, sight, and hearing,
stiff neck and back,
muscle weakness, and
seizures (fits).
If you develop encephalitis you will have to be admitted to hospital. However, even when the condition has caused critical illness, many people make a full recovery.

Printer friendly layout
Send to a friend
Continue to the next section "Prevention"

ChocolateChip
11-03-2008, 09:54 AM
I would go with that, then ,and say that is the medical advice you have been given.
Reading this has given me food for thought about the wording in my sickness policy.
Hope it all works out ok!
:)

man in a white coat
11-03-2008, 10:42 AM
HPA guidelines are there and are reviewed and updated, if there is an 'outbreak' then they will advise regional healthcare bodies. There was a major ouotbreak in Bolton and surrounding area last year. It has nothing to do with the Cow version and cannot be spread to or from animals.
You have to be comfortable with the risks associated with any infection. Flu has more risks probably.
So plenty hand washing, bolster your kids immunity by using a non-alcohol residual hand sanitiser as well as frequent hand washing for you and your charges until the incubation period has passed. - see the 'How do I kill Germs thread'

iain