PDA

View Full Version : Floor Cushions/Reading Corner idea?????

Leelee
16-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Didnt know where to post this thread! What I was wondering was if anyone had a quiet cushion corner for their mindees and if so where did you get the cushions! I really want some nice floor cushions but their so expensive!! What do u use??

singingcactus
16-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I have one of these - although not in a specified reading area - it makes a great toy as well as a place to sit.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S49872850
but I am sure ikea do other seating products you can use.
In the summer I have an old cot mattress which we keep on the deck as a quiet area, with books and other quiet activities.

helenlc
16-01-2010, 12:59 PM
I have been looking into something similar for a quiet corner. My 2 new mindees dont go to bed for a nap as such but will just lay/fall somewhere and sleep. Neither can get on my sofa and both have limited language so cannot tell me they want to lie down.

Actual floor cushions can be quite expensive. I did find some on Ebay but then its postage as well.

I am off to Ikea Monday or Tuesday night, so will have a look there.

If not, I am going to get a large dog cushion!! :blush: They are half the price of proper floor cushions but exactly the same thing. I am not going to get one with paws etc on it, but some are plain or patterned in other ways.:D

sdean
16-01-2010, 12:59 PM
I bought some foam and material and made some cushion covers myself to have in the corner. I have used old cushions to fill them. The children love to sit there and read or just have quiet time. I will try and post a photo. I got the material and foam from dunelm mills.

Blaze
16-01-2010, 01:13 PM
I used to have floor cusions - but a mindee threw up on them - so in the bin they went! I now have faux leather beanbags (easy to clean & a sensory item)!:thumbsup:

thinkfun
16-01-2010, 01:51 PM
I just bought some jigsaw shape foam seats from next for our reading corner, kids love them. Just the right size for the two year olds.

Just thought, Next sell large square bed pillows and covers in lots of different colours, plus they are machine washable, which you can’t do with most cushions covers.

Monkey1
16-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I have one of these, the children love it and its half the price on this site than what i paid for it from sbs educational:angry:

http://www.e-quip4education.co.uk/acatalog/info_PP00090.html

miffy
16-01-2010, 05:13 PM
I have one of these, the children love it and its half the price on this site than what i paid for it from sbs educational:angry:

http://www.e-quip4education.co.uk/acatalog/info_PP00090.html

That's lovely Monkey - going to have a nosy round that site later

Miffy xx

miffy
16-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Didnt know where to post this thread! What I was wondering was if anyone had a quiet cushion corner for their mindees and if so where did you get the cushions! I really want some nice floor cushions but their so expensive!! What do u use??

I've got 2 floor cushions from Ikea - you can get removable covers - mine are plain but they do others.

Miffy xx

sarah707
16-01-2010, 05:20 PM
I have dog cushions with removable covers :D

helenlc
16-01-2010, 05:51 PM

Glad it wasnt just me that had that idea then!!!:laughing:

I am actually picking up a cot mattress tonight off the free section of my netmums site. Then I am going to get some material and sweet talk my Auntie into making covers for me. :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
16-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Have to say dog cushions seem a great idea, the are usually much than floor cushions! My mindees love making a den under my dining table, so I may get a couple they can throw under there - bit more comfy than the laminate floor!!!

tashaleee
16-01-2010, 06:22 PM

I keep thinking about getting those as they seem so much bigger and cheaper... now I know Im not alone on this one I think I will :laughing:

beccas
16-01-2010, 08:04 PM
i made my own with foam and also with stuffing so we have harder ones and squesiy ones kids use them as cars, seats reading laying down on.

PixiePetal
16-01-2010, 08:11 PM
I think I might get some cheap pillows and colourful cases. :rolleyes:

The dog beds are a good idea too :thumbsup:

helenlc
16-01-2010, 09:34 PM
i made my own with foam and also with stuffing so we have harder ones and squesiy ones kids use them as cars, seats reading laying down on.

I picked up the cot mattress - turns out it was from an extending junior bed, so it comprises of one junior bed size piece then two smaller end cushions. I am going to cut the big bit in half and get my Aunt to make covers for them. They are quite sturdy foam, so can be used for a bed but also like soft play to use as walls etc.

Then I am going to get some soft cushions to scatter on too to make it a more comfy and relaxing area too.

Will post photos when I am done.:thumbsup:

Heaven Scent
16-01-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a couple of striped floor cushions that I got from IKEA for my two to use in the conservatory of my last hse doubt if they still do those particular ones but sure they do something similar - they were not expensive at all.:)

Leelee
17-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the ideas girls! I also thought of Dog beds because they are cheaper and seem more squashy and comfy, lol! I just remembered I got an old cot matress in my garage aswell!Also saw these which were actually the cheapest I found:http://www.ascoeducational.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1716 x

manjay
17-01-2010, 09:19 AM
I read this thread yesterday morning but I just have a couple of round reading cushions from SBS which are not very comfy. Anyway I was in Makro yesterday and they had massive dog cushions on offer for £12 each. I bought 2:clapping: . There is no way you would know they are dog cushions they just look like oversized cushions. My own children love them already:D

patevans
17-01-2010, 01:23 PM
I've just been to Donnington market and brought 2 large ones for £14, there was some even larger ones but they only had one left and I needed 2!

FizzysFriends
17-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I went to Toys r us today and they had these and other animals, from £14.99 - £22.99 thought they would be good for the children to sit on.

helenlc
17-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Well I spoke to my Aunt about covering my foam mattress as cushions and she reckons the material could work out quite expensive.

So I am going to look in Ikea when I go in the next day or 2 and if not, then I am off to Makro to get some of the dog cushions for £12.

Heaven Scent
17-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Cosco have loads and loads of pet cusions which aren't expensice they even have some with magic roundabout characters on them and so certainly don't look as they are meant for pets.

Also they had some nice floor cushions too for either £14 or £18 but they were like sofa cushions and were really quite deep -

I forgot to say in my previous post that in addition to my stripy cushions I have a small bean bag too.

Hope this helps a little to give you more options

singingcactus
17-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Well I spoke to my Aunt about covering my foam mattress as cushions and she reckons the material could work out quite expensive.

So I am going to look in Ikea when I go in the next day or 2 and if not, then I am off to Makro to get some of the dog cushions for £12.

Get a really cheap duvet cover from somewhere like Wilkinson, or even a charity shop. No reason for it to be expensive.

helenlc
19-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Get a really cheap duvet cover from somewhere like Wilkinson, or even a charity shop. No reason for it to be expensive.

This is true!

I was disappointed with what Ikea had last night so think I am going to try Makro instead for the pet cushion though.

singingcactus
19-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I have LOADS of normal bed pillows on my sofas that the kids can drag onto the floor whenever they want. They use them for sleeping (or at least pretending to sleep lol), for building dens, for pillow fights :D , and whatever else madcap idea they have. I just have cheepo pillowcases that match (sort of) my sofas. Don't know if this could be a way forward for you if the dog bed doesn't work out.
Don't get rid of your cot mattress though, your kids will love it in the summer.

jojane
24-01-2010, 03:27 PM
i have 2 large floor cushions from ikea and 4 bean bags that i am planning to use, my son also has a blow up lightening mcqueen chair that can be used. good opyion if you have little space or use your lounge, can be taken down and put away at weekends etc

newminder
26-01-2010, 07:37 AM
I have these from ebay

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Treeline-Products-Uk-Ltd__W0QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fsubZ533238011

miffy
26-01-2010, 07:42 AM
I have these from ebay

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Treeline-Products-Uk-Ltd__W0QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fsubZ533238011

Those look good - I wonder how waterproof they are - I'd like to use them outside.

Miffy xx

peanuts
26-01-2010, 08:13 AM
i have the larg pink dog from toys ar us as well, the little one just loves it and cuddles into it. He also loves the jiant teddy as well

Pudding Girl
26-01-2010, 10:07 AM
If not, I am going to get a large dog cushion!! :blush: They are half the price of proper floor cushions but exactly the same thing. I am not going to get one with paws etc on it, but some are plain or patterned in other ways.:D

Ditto!

They are fabulous for reading corners and naptimes. Got mine from the local market.

diddledumplings
27-01-2010, 12:05 AM
do any of you use freecycle groups? I've posted a couple of wanted posts and was inundated with replies. :clapping:

I've got quite a few bits in way of craft items, games and books and computer games/software for kids (educational of course).

I'm waiting for a reply from a lady offering a soft play type sofa for my reading corner *fingers crossed*

Joannechildmind
27-01-2010, 11:04 AM
had a brainwave i think, how about using pillows for he quiet reading corner you can buy quite firms ones and then buy a couple of patterned pillowcases sew buttons on the side to fasten opening, im sure that would work out cheaper than buying dog cushions i looked in my local cheap shop they want 12.99 each for large dog cushions

Just an idea

mamasheshe
27-01-2010, 02:39 PM

ikea do great cheap fabric

dlissaman
27-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Dog Beds are a brilliant idea. I was in my local Dunelm shop the other day and they had very large flat rectangular 'beds'. I will go back and buy one now. Thanks for the idea. Plus It can go outside in the summer in the outdoor classroom (a wooden gazebo, that standing on a deck). I did not think of that either until i read these postings.

Thanks.