PDA

View Full Version : New here but disheartened need advice

Stella Mc
13-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and posted very excitedly earlier about having booked my pre registration briefing session. After struggling to find a nannying position where I can take my 9 month old boy I was very excited to start the ball rolling with childminding. However, I've just looked through my tenancy agreement, I live in a housing association flat, and it states you can't run a business from the premises, my heart has just sunk, I can't believe it. I'm going to ring the housing association tomorrow but I'm terrified of what they are going to say! Has anyone been in this situation and is there any way around it? Wishful thinking on my part :(

Stella x

Pipsqueak
13-01-2010, 08:52 PM
hi there and welcome.

Not sure what to say but you never know until you try. it might be worth having a small 'speech' prepared - letting them know you will be aware of noise, extra foot/car traffic etc, you will make every effort to ensure minimal disruption to neighbours etc.

If they refuse i don't think there really is any recourse sadly.

good luck

PixiePetal
13-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I am sure some minders work from rented housing. Hopefully they will be along to tell you of their experiences.

Good luck, fingers crossed :)

Goatgirl
13-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi Stella,
I live in a council rented house and know they don't class childminding as a business in the same way as other types of business.. can't remember why though. Hopefully it'll be the same with your housing association. fingers crossed for you :).
best wishes,
Wendy

clio0602
13-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Hi I don't rent from housing association but my private tenancy agreement states no business use but I rang the Landlord and he was quite happy for me to childmind. I assured him the property would be looked after and he was happy with this.

Hope you get the go ahead xx

Daisy1956
13-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Can't help with any advice but hello. This is an great forum with lots of info and it's great knowing you are not alone someone else has probably experienced the same thing and is willing pass on some advice.

newadventure
13-01-2010, 10:29 PM
My friend has a private landlord and childminds from her premises they where happy as long as the house didnt get affected she had to get permission to put up fire guards etc tho.

She was not allowed to put up fixed stairgates that screwed into the wall.

Fingers crossed you will be ok

Good luck :thumbsup:

LeeAnn
13-01-2010, 10:33 PM
I used to live in a housing association house, they didn't class childminding as a business. All I had to do was write to them asking for permission to use the property for childminding, then send a copy of the letter to the Care commission. Nit sure if it would be different where you are

good luck with it though, it is worth a try xx

Stella Mc
14-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks Ladies,

I didn't sleep last night worrying about making that phone call at 9am! And I feel sick this morning, I have my speech prepared and all my fingers and toes crossed. So here goes.......

Stella x

caz3007
14-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Hope all went ok with your call xx

Pipsqueak
14-01-2010, 12:03 PM
how'd it go Stella?

estrelas
14-01-2010, 12:08 PM
How did it go?

I rent and its fine here
I think my landlords happier that i childmind cos they then have the extra security of a very clean house!!

PixiePetal
14-01-2010, 12:16 PM
How did you get on?

Stella Mc
14-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Oh God! My housing officer isn't in til tomorrow morning, another sleepless night! I spoke to someone else who didn't seem to know what he was on about, he said I would have to ring social services and they would have to check whether the place was suitable, I asked if he meant Ofsted and their visit to inspect if the premises are suitable once I'd registered??!He said just ring Social services, hmmm so think I will just call back and speak to my housing officer tomorrow, completely confused :panic:
My flat isn't suitable yet, but theres not much point in making it so unless I know this can go ahead.
Thanks for asking how it went, you seem like lovely ladies on here, will keep you informed!
Stella x

mamasheshe
14-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi I don't rent from housing association but my private tenancy agreement states no business use but I rang the Landlord and he was quite happy for me to childmind. I assured him the property would be looked after and he was happy with this.

Hope you get the go ahead xx

snap

might be worth mentioning to them that you'll only have low numbers of children so they know it's not a nursery you'll be running

Stella Mc
20-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Good news ladies! The housing association have given me the go ahead and I went on the pre reg briefing session yesterday. All the things I thought would be obstacles, like living in a flat with no lift etc were actually not, however they told us that the borough does not give out start up grants anymore and I really am not sure we are going to be able to afford the start up costs. I was due to start a nannying job in Jan after my maternity leave finished but I was let down at the last minute and haven't been able to find a job since, financially we are worse off than we ever have been so I just don't think I will be able to do it! Does anyone know of any organisations that will give grants etc to low income families?

Stella x

Pudding Girl
20-01-2010, 10:29 AM
What start up costs are you anticipating? Have you drawn up a list of all the things you HAVE to have done/paid for? Anything else can be bought as and when you need it. Especially as with a baby in the house you'd probably have a lot in already anyway.

sandy64
20-01-2010, 10:42 AM
hi please dont give up before you start theres always away the main things youl need are safety items safety gate fire guard if you have fire, plug sockets fire blanket first aid kit. and a few toys could you borrow any items until you start earning pity you werent near to me ive too many toys ,then you need a save area to play, and your paper work.which you will have some from pre reg dont think you need to spend lots some of the best toys are fabric/scarfs plastic bottles filled with sand,glitter etc boxs wooden spoons etc, im sure you will get there ask at local toddler groups if anyone finished with stuff, hope this may help good luck :)

julie w
20-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Do you have a 'freecycle' in your area? Look it up on google. I've had a fireguard, equipment and toys from this site, all for free. Good luck. Don't give up.xx.

Beckieboo
20-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi Stella,

As i already had my own children i already had a lot of it but the things i didnt have I got from car boots, friends and netmums. Either very cheap or free!! So dont give up now, as soon as friends know you are setting up as a childminder they seem to unload old and inused stuff onto you!!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Make a list of what you have and what you need, to get you started!!

Good luck hun!! :)

Stella Mc
20-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks ladies,
I'm thinking more course fee, registration fee, insurance,and looks like I will need to do another first aid course. If i can get through these things, is it possible to buy equipment after registration?
I really am trying to stay positive and determined!

Stella

Pudding Girl
20-01-2010, 11:38 AM
All I had when I started was a box of babies toys that I was given/carboots etc as I was supposed to be starting with a baby but it took so long the baby was a toddler by time my reg got through lol

They do not expect you to have everything, just make a wish list to show them once you are earning you will add to your resources. You couldn't be expected to have toys for all ages instantly, just buy for the ages you are getting mindees.

newadventure
20-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Have you got a toy library in your area I have been to visit ours yesterday and you can borrow toys free for a few weeks a bit like you do with books at a library and it doesnt cost and tey also have multi cultural toys

Stella Mc
20-01-2010, 12:30 PM
yes I'm pretty sure that we do, I have a lot of baby toys, I don't think I will need too much, perhaps a few more toys, another highchair, double buggy maybe. Its more the initial fees eg course, registration, insurance etc I am worried I won't be able to meet,

Stella

Pipsqueak
20-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Good news ladies! The housing association have given me the go ahead and I went on the pre reg briefing session yesterday. All the things I thought would be obstacles, like living in a flat with no lift etc were actually not, however they told us that the borough does not give out start up grants anymore and I really am not sure we are going to be able to afford the start up costs. I was due to start a nannying job in Jan after my maternity leave finished but I was let down at the last minute and haven't been able to find a job since, financially we are worse off than we ever have been so I just don't think I will be able to do it! Does anyone know of any organisations that will give grants etc to low income families?

Stella x

That is excellent news Stella - welcome aboard!!! lol

The start up costs - just take it slow and easy - you don't have to get loads of bits and pieces in to start with.
Does your local childrens' center have a loan scheme or a buy it cheaper scheme?
Get along to boot sales, jumble sales etc.
Bet you already have loads seeing as you have LO of yoru own

Zoomie
20-01-2010, 12:46 PM
yes I'm pretty sure that we do, I have a lot of baby toys, I don't think I will need too much, perhaps a few more toys, another highchair, double buggy maybe. Its more the initial fees eg course, registration, insurance etc I am worried I won't be able to meet,

Stella

Another high chair and possibly a dbl buggy you could get off of free cycle or very cheaply if you watched ebay, but you don't need these things yet. Your first mindee might be a 4.5y.

How much is your course. The only course that is compulsory is the DHC Unit 1, it was free in my area, perhaps yours would be too, or you could go to a neighbouring county ? And of course the first aid, why do you think you need to redo yours ?

Registration is abt £ 25, and insurance is abt £50 (I think).

Could you save up for these ?

Goatgirl
20-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Hi :),
You might want to check out the cost of your medical check with the doctors too, As mine was the most expensive part of my set up costs. Don't remember exactly, but was over £75... £80 I think? It depends on your doctors surgery as to what they charge.

Hope its less for you though... although it was tough to get set up and then get mindees through the door, I really love it and there're few other jobs that will allow you to spend quality time with your own children. Was worth it for me :).

Presumably you'd have to do the safety stuff for your own child anyway and as others have said, there's no need for toys etc until you get mindees signed up. I'd borrow some for home visits, have loads of paper and crayons etc, then use your first month's payment to buy suitable stuff... but that's a way away for you.

Could you perhaps get a part time job in the evenings, to earn enough to keep you going while you set up?

hope it works out.

vbws,
Wendy

Stella Mc
20-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks everyone, you have all given me confidence to carry on with this, I'm hoping I can just pay as I go along, the course is £75 that will be the first thing I have to pay, I guess I will just have to take it one step at a time and hope for the best. I won't be buying any equipment until I am registered thats for sure but have heard good things about freecycle etc.
Just waiting to hear if I have definitely got a place on the course now and I think I need to sit down and write a proper financial plan!
Stella x

Stella Mc
20-01-2010, 12:59 PM
I forgot to answer the question about first aid, I have done a paedriatric first aid course but several years ago and apparently it has expired, I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to do another one or perhaps I could do it after registration if I am able to prove to Ofsted I have knowledge of it already?

Stella x

Zoomie
20-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I forgot to answer the question about first aid, I have done a paedriatric first aid course but several years ago and apparently it has expired, I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to do another one or perhaps I could do it after registration if I am able to prove to Ofsted I have knowledge of it already?

Stella x

I think first aids have to be done every three years, and you always have to a 'valid' one. Is yours more than 2.5y old, because if it isn't OFsted are likely to accept it, provided you can show you have booked one for the near future.

tigger
20-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi Stella this is just a thought, I know in an earlier thread you said about parents on low income families, have you thought about going to the job centre and asking them if they can offer you anything by way of assistance? I know it maybe along shot but you don't know if you don't ask. They may just come up trumps for you. I know they do things like crisis loans, social fund loans but I'm sure if you explained what it is for they could let you know. You don't even have to go in you can phone them. Could you speak to your tutor on the pre-reg course aswell maybe she could come up with some ideas aswell. Hope it all goes well for you. I didn't have too much stuff but put things down on a wish list and borrow things from friends to get you by until you can afford them. Freecycle is excellent if they have one in your area it's like a little treasure trove!