PDA

View Full Version : spare room into playroom?

amberspy
13-01-2010, 03:56 PM
hi im new to here
im on my way to regstairing to become childminder:clapping:
im a carer at mo
i live in town house on 3 levels and as title says u think i would be able to turn spare room in playroom? but thing is its on first floor :(
it was big thou but down stairs is open plan but thou spare room would be ideal as be able kit it out and worries me its on first floor
any advice be great thanks:D

sarah707
13-01-2010, 06:02 PM
If you want to use a 1st floor room as a playroom, you need to be sure that you can show Ofsted how the children ...

- get outside when they want;

- be supervised when they are outside... if say one wants or needs to come back in;

- are watched while you are preparing meals...

Things like that!

It's a good idea to have a playroom and it definitely helps contain the mess they create but you will need to think it through carefully.

hth :D

miss mopple
13-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I my spare room as a playroom and tbh it didnt work out, which was totally gutting as it was a beautiful room that I spent a fortune kitting out. I put a microwave and fridge up there so I could sort packed lunches without having to go downstairs and as my loo is upstairs it was all self contained.

The biggest problem was that I hated being so restricted as I had to be up there with them, and also I couldnt have some in the garden and some in the playroom as I couldnt be in 2 places at once.

I convinced DH that we should give up the dining room in the end and convert that and thats a much better solution for me :thumbsup:

Heaven Scent
13-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Is yours a modern town house with living room and kitchen on first floor or is it a victorian town house?

Lots of nurseries have rooms on the first floor so in that respect it is not a problem plus people mind who live in flats I personally don't see how having some children indoors while others are outside it is all that safe unless you have patio/french doors to the room you mind in where you can remain between the two and watch both sets of children equally. So I don't feel that is a huge issue but you do have to read the EYFS doc very carefullly and see how you will fulfill all legal requirements while using this upstairs room so that when ofsted come you can answer any queries they may have with regard to this - also ask for advice from your local council about how best you can do this they are there to give you help and advice so use them.

Only advice I will give you when doing your risk assessment on children going up and down stairs say you will go in front of them on way down and behind them on the way so that if they do slip they and fall you will be there to catch them plus they cant fall far enough to cause any serious injury.

I'm sorry I'm not being more help to you,

Hope it all works out well for you though.

amberspy
13-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Is yours a modern town house with living room and kitchen on first floor or is it a victorian town house?

Lots of nurseries have rooms on the first floor so in that respect it is not a problem plus people mind who live in flats I personally don't see how having some children indoors while others are outside it is all that safe unless you have patio/french doors to the room you mind in where you can remain between the two and watch both sets of children equally. So I don't feel that is a huge issue but you do have to read the EYFS doc very carefullly and see how you will fulfill all legal requirements while using this upstairs room so that when ofsted come you can answer any queries they may have with regard to this - also ask for advice from your local council about how best you can do this they are there to give you help and advice so use them.

Only advice I will give you when doing your risk assessment on children going up and down stairs say you will go in front of them on way down and behind them on the way so that if they do slip they and fall you will be there to catch them plus they cant fall far enough to cause any serious injury.

I'm sorry I'm not being more help to you,

Hope it all works out well for you though.

hi my house is modern town house but living room and diningroom with kitchen downstairs which is al open planned and has french doors in corner which has full lenght blinds on them and i never open the doors as door from kitchen goes out to laudry room and loo into back garden
upstairs in spare room is just 2 small windows with bathroom next door i wouldnt spend all our time in there just thou be good at times for more space if makes sence if was cooking we all come down stairs were i have more toys but at end of day its just info at mo
cheers:D