PDA

View Full Version : will i 'trigger' inspection?

mama2three
13-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Ive read posts previously where people have requested variations , and this has seemed to trigger their inspection.

i cant find my sef log in details anywhere , and was going to ring and ask them to send me more , but im worried Ill bring forward an already looming(ish) inspection, ( i started end sept) and i am sooo not ready yet.
what do you think?

Chatterbox Childcare
13-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Who knows? It all depends on when your last inspection was, the grade and how busy they are in your area.

I would put in your assistant forms if you are using one and then when it is all done and dusted ask for numbers to be increased. If there isn't an assistant it could be pot luck

Sorry don't think this answered your question

sarah707
13-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Nobody ever knows how far behind they are working in your area or what is likely to trigger an inspection...

if you need to do something, I'd say just do it.

At the end of the day an inspection is great for finding out how you're doing :D

mama2three
13-01-2010, 01:58 PM
thanks but its my 1st inspection and i know theres things i still want to get done! Ive downloaded the one from the forum so i can start thinking how id answer but will leave it a couple of weeks i think before i ring up. dont want to temp fate!! Plus once the paperworks out of the way ive got to clean a rather neglected house before they arrive!!

BeckenhamCM
13-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi :-)

I had my first grading inspection yesterday and when they called me to tell me they were coming she told me that they have to complete the first grading inspection within 6 months of you being registered. If that's the case then you will due one anytime in the next 8 weeks or so anyway. I agree with Sarah, it's good to get an idea of how you're doing, esp if you are new like us, it's certainly boosted my confidence:-)

Ash xx

mama2three
13-01-2010, 02:55 PM
thats because you are outstanding! I wont even get satisfactory until i get up to date with my paperwork. have done a few pieces each day for the last week and Im getting there though! Need to get photos printed and update ( start?) learning journeys then im almost there. i keep remembering more and more things i should have done though! can you tell im entering panic mode? Im going to give the dw a ring next week to come and have a look at what else i need in place. Maybe if i spent less time on the forum? like thats going to happen!!

Kelly
13-01-2010, 05:39 PM
thats because you are outstanding! I wont even get satisfactory until i get up to date with my paperwork. have done a few pieces each day for the last week and Im getting there though! Need to get photos printed and update ( start?) learning journeys then im almost there. i keep remembering more and more things i should have done though! can you tell im entering panic mode? Im going to give the dw a ring next week to come and have a look at what else i need in place. Maybe if i spent less time on the forum? like thats going to happen!!

If you feel that you are not even going to get satisfactory I think you should call your development officer or support childminder. When you phone regarding your SEF you probably not be asked if you are looking after any children anyway, I would bite the bullet and get the phone.

Good luck

miffy
14-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Why don't you just complete the sef and save it on your computer ready for when they ring. At least it's done, you can get everything else sorted and then sort out how to submit it. That way you won't worry about triggering anything.

Miffy xx

Ripeberry
14-01-2010, 11:50 AM
I had to ask for a new cert as my daughter has now turned 5, so I needed that extra variation about being allowed one extra under 5yr old. I suppose that will start things moving. Aarrghh!

Lainey Lou
14-01-2010, 10:43 PM
well I have been registered since 2008 and I childminded for a few months and then stopped for abit, when I stopped, Ofsted rang to arrange my first inspection but didn't end up coming out as no children

I started cminding again in June 2009 and I rang them to tell them I was minding again, heard nothing, I then emailed them to tell them, 'hello I'm here childminder not had first inspection' heard nothing. Today I have finally had my first inspection, so I didn't trigger anything ringing and emailing but that was my experience.

If I was you, I would get all my paperwork out of the way over the next couple of weeks or so and then ring for the password and do you SEF last even if you are only half way thru it when they come out you won't get down graded as it isn't compulsory.

:)

cuffleygirl
15-01-2010, 08:14 AM
I requested my sef 'key/password' thingy on the Friday and on the Monday, I got the call for my inspection. It was about six weeks shy of the three years, so I suspect my call did trigger it.

If you really feel that you're not ready I would be tempted to type out SEF so you get everything straight in your head before ringing ofsted for the code - alot of what Mrs Ofsted will ask you is based around your sef answers so you will know what to say as you've already written it down!

By writing it down you'll probably find you are doing alot better than you think anyway. If your request after typing sef does trigger an inspection then tell mrs ofsted you've just completed the sef and are uploading or offer to send her a hard copy in the post prior to inspection.