PDA

View Full Version : What a GOOD day!!

Bridey
12-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Another lurker here! I don't post but I've been using this site for a couple of years now for information gathering to assist me with my accounts and EYFS.

Just had my inspection (I've been childminding for 10 years) and its another GOOD. Am absolutely delighted as I was somewhat nervous this time round as there have been so many changes as far as childminding is concerned since my last one. The inspector says I'm a strong good. She also added I'm unlikely to ever achieve an overall grade of outstanding as I'm so adamant that I will not change my home into a 'nursery' but we both agreed that was absolutely fine and I'm happy with that! It doesn't mean I can't work to gain outstanding in other areas.

Just want to say a big thank you to everyone who posts on this site who have provided me with valuable information and links over the last few years and well done to all the other childminders who achieved a Good or Outstanding today! :clapping:

Bridey
12-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Forgot to mention ... the best bit was having to get the neighbours to push her car out of the snow so she could go home! I may have been a little bit economical with the truth when she rang me the day before to ask what the roads were like ... :rolleyes:

Tink
12-01-2010, 04:11 PM
WELL DONE I got a Good today also for my first inspection. I am over the moon x

Carol M
12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
My home isn't a nursery. I do put stuff up on the wall with blue tac and take it all down on friday night. Not sure I agree with your inspector on that one!
Aim high! Well done for all your hard work.
Carol x

Bridey
12-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I saw! You deserve to be REALLY proud of yourself! :) I can't even remember how scared I was on my first inspection.

I've never had a negative or bad inspection experience and I found this one to be really interesting and constructive, especially with regards to EYFS paperwork (less is more as long as you're doing it right apparently).

I know many childminders will wonder why I'm not striving for an overall outstanding grade but I am very happy with the way I run things, Ofsted are happy, the parents I work for are happy and the children I work with (mainly after-school and certainly not backwards in coming forwards with the truth) are happy. I can't ask for more than that really!

Bridey
12-01-2010, 04:32 PM
My 'nursery' comment was my way of shortening what she said so its my interpretation rather than her wording.

I'm not knocking how other people run their business but, when all the kiddies have gone home, bearing in mind I have up to 9 different ones in and out every day, I personally want my home completely back to myself - when I'm slumped exhausted on my sofa I don't want to even see anything remotely to do with children! All my toys are tucked away in wicker baskets - disguised! Thats just the way I like things! When the children are here is a completely different matter ;)

It's a small world
12-01-2010, 05:11 PM
:clapping: well done:clapping: I got a GOOD today :clapping: I do have a displays in my house but I find its positive for my ds 2..I have displays children have done.. counting charts/numbers etc all encouraging. However I must admit toys all go in boxes and back under the stairs at the end of the day (displays etc in hall so not in our faces at night) and my living room is back to the homely(Sp) feel again,

miffy
12-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Congratulations - not sure about the inspector's comments - another one may not look at things the same way so don't give up on getting outstanding

Miffy xx

sarah707
12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Congratulations! :clapping:

Bridey
12-01-2010, 06:32 PM
My notices are also in my hallway so out of sight out of mind! Kiddies pics are displayed at their level in a special spot behind the dogs bed.

As for the inspector, her comment came about because I keep the 'younger' toys in a shed outside my back door - as I mentioned I care for mainly school age children. Even though there was a good selection available for the little ones to play with today and, despite the fact that they demonstrated beautifully how they are welcome to ask for a particular box or have a changeover at any time they liked, she felt that the fact they didn't have free access to the entire selection counted against me! Each inspector has their own 'thing' and it could go completely differently next time.

At the end of the day, it wouldn't have affected todays grading as I was good all round and while I shall continue to strive to improve my delivery of EYFS and adhering to its requirements I'm really not prepared to have a house full of boxes of toys, especially as I only have little ones one day a week. It was different a few years ago but my son is 12 now and we have both moved on from that stage.

I am delighted with my grading so I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. Instead I'm going to grab a big glass of wine, sit in my child-free lounge and relax! :) Well done everyone else who did well today!

Bridey
12-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Aha Sarah! Thank YOU! Your site certainly provided me with some inspiration and ideas.

nannymcflea
12-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Thats great news, well done you.:clapping:

Annie_T
12-01-2010, 09:03 PM
well done hun x

doodles
12-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Well done :thumbsup:

BeckenhamCM
12-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Great news, well done x