PDA

View Full Version : LEARNING JOURNAL AND MRS O

It's a small world
10-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Mrs O coming on Tuesday..just looking through my learning journals and so going to get satisfactory or worse....It looks like Ive repeated myself :panic: :panic: only have one mindee (2days-aug-mid oct then 1 day mid nov-dec) only done four obs as do not have alot. Done one a month for my own child. The one for 9mth old who started in November (supposed to have had 3 days a week 18 hours and worked out upto now had about 62hrs instead of 144 hours) Anyway really dreading it and decided going to go on an EYFS course....
Dreading it , due to limited mindees hours my paperwork looks bare....Oh Im going to fail. If I get less than good going to give up....:panic: :panic:

Cazz
10-01-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm in a similar boat to you and am really worried as well. I was registered in September so I'll be due an inspection soon and this area of my paperwork is really lacking.

All my mindees started in November and I have done some activities with the 3 year old which I have photo evidence of. I still haven't put it into a scrapbook :panic: but I will and use some as observations as well - don't know if that's right but like you I used to have her and her baby sister for 2 days and then in December they went down to 1 day so by the time I collect her from Nursery and we get home I have a whole three hours a week (and that time includes lunch) to do activities/observations!!

As for the babies - I have done an observation on the baby sister of the above mindee and will log that, the other 8 month old who also comes 1 day a week came for 3 weeks and then I haven't had him since the end of November due to illness, Christmas and snow! He's a crier and hasn't settled properly yet so this Friday will be like starting over.

I'm going to knuckle down and start my obs etc properly from this month and will tell Mrs O that the reason I have no/little paperwork for November/December is because I needed to spend that time settling the mindees and getting to know what their interests etc were.

Don't know if that's the right attitude but that's what I'm going to do - I'm already losing enough sleep about the whole thing.

Sorry I haven't helped one bit but at least you know you're not the only one in this position! Good luck for Tuesday - let us know how you get on xx

PixiePetal
10-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Don't panic, you can't be expected to have huge files on children with limited hours worked.

You have made a start and things will progress in the next few months. If you have all the requirements in place - welfare etc then you will be fine. Good would be great but satisfactory is fine too - means you are doing everything required - will give you something to aim for next time, anyway, you might just surprise yourself and get a good grade :thumbsup:

Don't give up :)

sarah707
10-01-2010, 09:23 PM
It's not just about having fat learning journeys to show the inspector!

There are so many other elements to getting through an inspection.

training is always a good idea, but at the end of the day if children are part time, there's only so much you can write about them.

You'll be fine! :D

It's a small world
10-01-2010, 09:24 PM
:panic: Dont worry...its nice to know Im not on my own thats why I posted as knew someone would be in same boat. Mrs O is really nice as had her for my pre reg. Paperwork Ive got is:

LEARNING JOURNAL (3-4 OBS/NEXT STEPS)
WOW MOMENTS (8ISH SOME WITH PICS)
FIRE DRILL (ONLY DONE ONE...BUT DONE A COUPLE AT PLAYGROUPS)
ATTENDANCE FILE
PORTFOLIO (WITH EVERYTHING IN)
DAILY DIARY X1 (OTHER ONE MUM HAS AND NOT GOT HIM NEXT WEEK)
LETTERS FROM BOTH MINDEES MUMS ABOUT MY SERVICE ( NO CHILDREN DAY MRS O COMING BUT SHES TOLD ME THIS WILL NOT HAVE AN EFFECT ON MY GRADE)
HEALTH & SAFETY FILE (Details of my menus 4 week rota/recipes/illnesses/fire safety including activities)
NOTICE BOARD- DISPLAYING ALL INFO ABOUT ME - INCLUDING A SELF REG CHART
CHILDRENS DISPLAY BOARD- SHOWING CHRISTMAS/WINTER ACTIVITIES (HAVENT TOOK DOWN AS HAD 2 DAYS MINDING SINCE BEGINNING OF YEAR)
PLANNING IS A FAILURE (GOT JAN/FEB DONE...V LIMITED)
DONE SEF...BUT NOT COMPLETED...THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM MRS O SAID.

Oh well think thats it...will take about an 2 hours to go through...but if I can talk as only have ds I can explain alot more than having to worry about having mindees and answering her whilst working with children...

Will let you know what she says about learning journals..

Sorry to have gone on....got carreid away and did a have done list...forgot where I was for a minute..in panic mode now....:panic:

It's a small world
10-01-2010, 09:28 PM
It's not just about having fat learning journeys to show the inspector!

There are so many other elements to getting through an inspection.

training is always a good idea, but at the end of the day if children are part time, there's only so much you can write about them.

You'll be fine! :D

Think as always expect too much of myself..want to be perfect but know thats not possible but still want to be . Most of my life Ive been put downby people so by doing well and (sometimes trying too hard) its my way of showing people I am good at something and not a no hoper. Oh well cant do anything more..just need to double check everything and update one file..then hopefully be able to explain more to Mrs O.

Be back on Tuesday after shes been..coming at 9.30am

Speak to you all then.:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Cazz
10-01-2010, 09:30 PM
[COLOR="Red"]
:panic: Dont worry...its nice to know Im not on my own thats why I posted as knew someone would be in same boat. Mrs O is really nice as had her for my pre reg. Paperwork Ive got is:

LEARNING JOURNAL (3-4 OBS/NEXT STEPS)
WOW MOMENTS (8ISH SOME WITH PICS) What do you mean by those? :blush:
FIRE DRILL (ONLY DONE ONE...BUT DONE A COUPLE AT PLAYGROUPS) OMG - I haven't done one yet :panic:
ATTENDANCE FILE
LETTERS FROM BOTH MINDEES MUMS ABOUT MY SERVICE ( NO CHILDREN DAY MRS O COMING BUT SHES TOLD ME THIS WILL NOT HAVE AN EFFECT ON MY GRADE) I might ask mine to do a letter in a couple of weeks - one parent will be willing, not sure how much I'll get out of others :rolleyes:
HEALTH & SAFETY FILE (Details of my menus 4 week rota/recipes/illnesses/fire safety including activities)
NOTICE BOARD- DISPLAYING ALL INFO ABOUT ME - INCLUDING A SELF REG CHART What's a self-reg chart?
CHILDRENS DISPLAY BOARD- SHOWING CHRISTMAS/WINTER ACTIVITIES (HAVENT TOOK DOWN AS HAD 2 DAYS MINDING SINCE BEGINNING OF YEAR) Don't have a display board but was going to put on a wish list
PLANNING IS A FAILURE (GOT JAN/FEB DONE...V LIMITED) Got that in hand now!
DONE SEF...BUT NOT COMPLETED...THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM MRS O SAID. Haven't started yet - can't find the **** letter at the mo!

Oh well think thats it...will take about an 2 hours to go through...but if I can talk as only have ds I can explain alot more than having to worry about having mindees and answering her whilst working with children...

Will let you know what she says about learning journals..

Sorry to have gone on....got carreid away and did a have done list...forgot where I was for a minute..in panic mode now....:panic:

Inserted some comments above - hope it worked as I've never done it before!!

The comments are there but I tried to do them in red and it didn't work - how do you do that then?

Cazz
10-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Think as always expect too much of myself..want to be perfect but know thats not possible but still want to be . Most of my life Ive been put downby people so by doing well and (sometimes trying too hard) its my way of showing people I am good at something and not a no hoper. Oh well cant do anything more..just need to double check everything and update one file..then hopefully be able to explain more to Mrs O.

Be back on Tuesday after shes been..coming at 9.30am

Speak to you all then.:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Do you know you sound just like me.

When I worked at a bank we had annual inspections lasting 2 days and I used to make myself almost physically ill with worrying as I would probably let everyone else down if they interviewed me (they never did as it turned out :rolleyes: )

I think part of it is my older brother is really clever and can turn his hands to so many things, that I have always felt I can never live up to people's expectations of me because I was always in his shadow.

Although my parents are absolutely fantastic and we get on brilliantly I can remember many times when comparisions were made between my brother and I and he was the one who was doing so much better.

By childminding if I fail I'll only be letting myself down (well no - the parents as well because they'll think I'm c**p at looking after their children). I don't want to let myself down either though - I really want to succeed at this career.

Sorry I'm waffling Kerrie and have gone off on a tangent from your thread - I apologise!!

It's a small world
10-01-2010, 09:42 PM
WOW MOMENTS (8ISH SOME WITH PICS) What do you mean by those?
I have a display on notice board that shows parents when child does somehthing...helps when not many obs ie: D sat and read nicely with T taking turns to turn the page. Or D told me he had to wash his hands after going to the toilet ETC.
FIRE DRILL (ONLY DONE ONE...BUT DONE A COUPLE AT PLAYGROUPS) OMG - I haven't done one yet Ive only done one , but 2 at playgroups but cant prove this.As it was first time didnt use anythign use explained that we were going out and had to go now. then explained thats what we needed to do if alarm went off..just read a good idea of using alarm on phone..not scary but makes them aware need to get out.hopefully wont really need to do it with loud alarm !!!
ATTENDANCE FILE
LETTERS FROM BOTH MINDEES MUMS ABOUT MY SERVICE ( NO CHILDREN DAY MRS O COMING BUT SHES TOLD ME THIS WILL NOT HAVE AN EFFECT ON MY GRADE) I might ask mine to do a letter in a couple of weeks - one parent will be willing, not sure how much I'll get out of others Mrs O's suggestiong as no children on Tuesday..could still get a good even without children (quoted by mrs o)
NOTICE BOARD- DISPLAYING ALL INFO ABOUT ME - INCLUDING A SELF REG CHART What's a self-reg chart? A4 laminated paper with a border(letters) each child has a picture -paint splat/shape/footballer etc with their name/photos on older children wil start to recognise their name and pictures for younger ones till they can recognise letter -sparklebox good for this)
CHILDRENS DISPLAY BOARD- SHOWING CHRISTMAS/WINTER ACTIVITIES (HAVENT TOOK DOWN AS HAD 2 DAYS MINDING SINCE BEGINNING OF YEAR) Don't have a display board but was going to put on a wish list this is my way of working with parents.they can see everything from what to do if ill/payments/ofsted cert/any special notices etc
PLANNING IS A FAILURE (GOT JAN/FEB DONE...V LIMITED) Got that in hand now! better than me then
DONE SEF...BUT NOT COMPLETED...THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM MRS O SAID. Haven't started yet - can't find the **** letter at the mo! hope you find your letter

hope that helps....pm if you need any help with anything...listen to me Im the one looking for advice...I hope Ive helped you..sorry if Ive got anything wrong..:blush:

Cazz
10-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks Kerrie!

I'm going to our monthly childminding group tomorrow and going to take the paperwork I've got as I'm not sure which would be best to use for learning journeys etc (just need to write it all up!) - so I'll ask someone there!!

I may well need some more help as you're in a very similar situation with mindees to me but I won't pester you until after Tuesday - you've got enough on your plate and you may be able to give me some useful tips from things that Mrs O said to you.

All the best for Tuesday - I'll be thinking of you and keeping everything crossed for that "Good" xx

guest3
10-01-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm in much the same boat as both of you....lacking in self confidence and wanting to prove myself in my first grading inspection due soon (I was registered in September too Cazz)

I've only had 1 baby who was 9 months old when she started with me in October, and I've found it really hard to plan anything for her. We go out to a toddler group each morning then come home for lunch and her nap. When she wakes, its almost time for the school run and soon after that its home time!
She's happy playing at toddlers but as soon as we get home, she whinges and screams constantly whatever I try to do with her. I'm desperately trying to prepare for my inspection and get some paperwork done but I'm so bogged down with it all and I'm up late every night going round in circles. I'm also really worried how to cope with her when I have to stay at home for Ofsted. I've also got another new baby starting this week, so I'll have her to try to settle in too!

Hopefully we can help each other out, and I'll start by wishing you good luck for Tuesday Kerrie

Wendy x

singingcactus
11-01-2010, 07:27 AM
I think part of the problem is OFSTED in their wisdom chose to use a word that could also be taken negatively like - satisfactory. I wish they would find a better word for it, cos I am sure this word has as much to do with losing childminders as the EYFS. The media have gotten hold of this word and they seem to try to make childminders who receive this grading feel inadequate - which is not true. Childminders who achieve a satisfactory grading work very hard and achieve a high standard of care for their children, so if this is the grading you receive then remember this and do not quit just cos OFSTED chose to use a stupid word.

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
11-01-2010, 08:30 AM
hi, ive read through the posts and i just wanted to wish all good luck and to say that i had my inspection on friday and was very nervous like you guys, but im sure like me once she arrives you will relax and be fine.

Hopefully this below will help you

The lady seemed more interested in watching me and my mindee play and interact together then looking through loads of paperwork.

i had one file with risk assesments in and on the front i listed what risk assessments i had in the folder, she looked at the first one was happy with that and becasue i had a list of the completed ones she didnt look at any of the others.

The same with the policies and procedures, she looked at my list of the ones i had and said that i had the ones that were required and becasue i had adapted the ncma ones she said they were fine.

She did have more interest in the family welcome pack i have and my completed paperwork file like, fire drills and my learning journey- with this she just wanted to see that i had linked the obs to the areas of the eyfs and the age range for example writing under an observation CCL, language for communication, age 30-50 months.

She asked me questions like what are the signs and symptons of abuse?
Who can you talk to if you have any concerns?
What areas of childminding do you think you could improve on?
What planning do you do?
What is your realtionship with the parents and pre school like?

speaking to other childminders in my area these seem to be the most asked questions.
hope this helps if you need any more advice then pm me.

It's a small world
11-01-2010, 08:31 AM
I think part of the problem is OFSTED in their wisdom chose to use a word that could also be taken negatively like - satisfactory. I wish they would find a better word for it, cos I am sure this word has as much to do with losing childminders as the EYFS. The media have gotten hold of this word and they seem to try to make childminders who receive this grading feel inadequate - which is not true. Childminders who achieve a satisfactory grading work very hard and achieve a high standard of care for their children, so if this is the grading you receive then remember this and do not quit just cos OFSTED chose to use a stupid word.

Thanks I know what you mean and I know satisfactory is not a bad grade...my problem is I feel like I have to prove myself..As explained before Ive always been put down and compared to my sister.To make the situation worse my sister is a deputy head so knows all about Ofsted etc..although we dont speak I know my grade will have an effect on what is said about me with my mum & sister and yet again I will be compared !! well Ive done what I can and will just have to see what comes. Im sure no matter what happens tomorrow when I come on here everyone will be encouraging and supportive as always . I would like to thank everyone for their advice and assistance -not going to specify one person as everyone has been positive towards me since I joined many months ago. I feel like I have gained a lot of new friends...thanks again and will be back on line tomorrow...WISH ME LUCK !!!!!!!

Cazz
11-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Just wanted to say good luck again Kerrie - I'll be eagerly awaiting your news tomorrow.

Cazz
11-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm in much the same boat as both of you....lacking in self confidence and wanting to prove myself in my first grading inspection due soon (I was registered in September too Cazz)

I've only had 1 baby who was 9 months old when she started with me in October, and I've found it really hard to plan anything for her. We go out to a toddler group each morning then come home for lunch and her nap. When she wakes, its almost time for the school run and soon after that its home time!
She's happy playing at toddlers but as soon as we get home, she whinges and screams constantly whatever I try to do with her. I'm desperately trying to prepare for my inspection and get some paperwork done but I'm so bogged down with it all and I'm up late every night going round in circles. I'm also really worried how to cope with her when I have to stay at home for Ofsted. I've also got another new baby starting this week, so I'll have her to try to settle in too!

Hopefully we can help each other out, and I'll start by wishing you good luck for Tuesday Kerrie

Wendy x

Yes it does sound like your in the same boat as us as well Wendy.

At least we've got the wonderful support and help from everyone on here.

Let me know if you get "the call" as we were both registered at the same time!

Dippy Doughnut - thanks for the information it's very helpful.

P.S. Sorry Kerrie, I feel like I've hijacked your thread now! :blush:

miffy
11-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Good luck Kerrie - hope it goes well tomorrow

Miffy xx

Marie-louise
11-01-2010, 09:49 PM
GOOD LUCK KERRIE! though im sure you'll be fine, i was graded satisfactory with 3 areas good -i too was new and only had two mindees at the time only one of which was in the EYFS age group, and i'd only been minding her for 8weeks. Just relax and be yourself xx