PDA

View Full Version : another tax question

Marie-louise
09-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Hi the adverts on tv are panicking me, if i need to pay tax would i get a letter from the tax office saying so? I registered as self employed in february 09 as i started childminding in nov 08 all though this was one child before or after school and very part-time, between 2 to 10hrs per week, then 2 or 3 weeks of no hours so didnt actually make any money-cost more to feed the child. Anyway next i got a 13week contract of 35hours in march but the student only stayed on the course for 8weeks so that ended. Then in may i got a part-timer who is with me two days a week who now attends school as started full time in september and in august i got a lo 4days a week so its starting to be worth it now. If the money earned needs to be declared from april 09 to april 10 by jan 11 then do i need to do something for the little i earned from nov 08 till april 09? I did give a figure of expected earnings when i registered as self employed (i think) and i got an exemption from ni also.
Thanks for any advice - its greatly needed!

Chatterbox Childcare
09-01-2010, 08:26 PM
You should have lodged a tax return from Nov 08 to end of March 09 and this is what the IR are chasing. If you haven't done it yet get it done. There won't be any tax to pay but you can get fined £100 if you don't lodge it.

Any loss you make can be carried forward to the tax year 09/10 which finishes at the end of March/beginning of April.

The 09/10 return has to be lodged by 31st Jan 2011 and again any tax due paid by this date

Marie-louise
09-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Thank you very much!!

Chatterbox Childcare
09-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Write off as much as you can in your first year and have a big loss to bring forward

aly
09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm the same actually.

Debbie looking on the HMRC site and I realise i haven't got a uTR would you know where i can find the number to contact them?

Chatterbox Childcare
09-01-2010, 11:46 PM
It is usually at the top of any correspondance on the right hand side. If you were employed before you will have it on your code assessment.

Don't worry if not just call them instead and they will sort it for you

aly
09-01-2010, 11:49 PM
thanks
i have no paperwork apart from 'the welcoem letter'

i will check with them tomorrow/monday and go from there...thank you