PDA

View Full Version : Snow and exams.

jelly15
09-01-2010, 12:44 PM
My DS 17 has A level exams starting Tuesday. We are forecast more snow and the exams are to go ahead, even if the school is closed to other pupils and the buses are cancelled, because the Welsh examination board refuse to postpone. The council is running low of grit, and this is a semi rural area, so it will be even harder for pupils who don't live on main roads to get to school.

This means some pupils are going to miss their exams and most won't get a chance to resit and they will lose points towards their final grade and this will risk their place in Uni and affect their career prospects. Many pupils and parents will now have no choice but to make a difficult journey to school and back again risking having a road traffic accident or falling on icy ground.

The examination boards argue that postponing the exams for a few weeks will set the pupils at a disadvantage as they wil have to sit these exams too close to the summer ones, but surely this is better than not sitting the exam at all.

Is this the situation for the rest of the country? Do you have children due to take exams and do you think they should be postponed?

tulip0803
09-01-2010, 12:51 PM
My son has the same problem - school is half an hour away by bus along country roads. Buses don't run at the slightest thing. He has A level resits to do to improve his exams for Uni.

WAG say if they miss these they can resit in June. So instead of revising just for the full As they will also be revising for AS as well:rolleyes: . How is that supposed to improve things?

Of course I am sure that we will have to pay for the re-sits again if they can't get to school:rolleyes: .

Postponing for a few weeks is better than most of the country missing the exams.