PDA

View Full Version : anyone else dreading next gas bill?

sweets
07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
i am! the last couple of weeks i have had the central heating on from 6.30 am to about 6-7pm constantly.

wouldnt it be good if we were entitled to some government help with it :laughing:

PixiePetal
07-01-2010, 09:46 PM
we don't gas here, have oil central heating. Put £540 worth of oil in the tank mid October - wonder how long it will last?! :eek:

At least it's one less bill to come. Will top up when needed with what we can afford and eek it out if necessary.:rolleyes:

Gizmo
07-01-2010, 09:51 PM
I have just changed my supplier and got the final bill in today from the old one £116 for a month, last quarter was £145 :panic: I hate paying bills in January I think we should have a free month every year

FizzysFriends
07-01-2010, 09:51 PM
We are oil too and I can't check the tank because top is froze

margimum
07-01-2010, 09:56 PM
I dread to think what my bill will be:panic: :panic:
I switch mine on at 6am as first mindee arrives at 6.30.
When DH is on nights like tonight I switch it off at about 8pm and just snuggle up in a fleece, but Tuesday night he was home and it was still on at 11pm.!
If only I had put money aside during the summer! This year I'm sure I will (!):blush:

Bananabrain
07-01-2010, 09:57 PM
We are behind with our gas and 'lectric.
I turned it off for a while today to give it a 'rest':laughing: 'cos I'm worried it will break down.
Ho hum, guess we wil survive this weather and live to tell!

Heaven Scent
07-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Sure am DH never stops going on about it - and to make matters worse our boiler is so inefficient and old - the timer doesn't always work so we are using it manually at the moment plus it turns out that a pipe which should be directed outside the house has been plumbed in so that it points directly downward into our garage floor and so if we had a gas surge the garage could blow up - its called a blow pipe and is designed to relase a buildup of gas - flippin hec - Briitish Gas who discovered this when they came out to look at the boiler can't do it until 26th and I am now looking for another corgi registered plumber who can do it before that. We have lived here for over 5 years with it like that and the people before us had boiler cover through the makers of the boiler and noone there discovered it - i don't know who installed it!!! - So yes all things being considered I'm dreading the bill.

charleyfarley
07-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Sure am DH never stops going on about it - and to make matters worse our boiler is so inefficient and old - the timer doesn't always work so we are using it manually at the moment plus it turns out that a pipe which should be directed outside the house has been plumbed in so that it points directly downward into our garage floor and so if we had a gas surge the garage could blow up - its called a blow pipe and is designed to relase a buildup of gas - flippin hec - Briitish Gas who discovered this when they came out to look at the boiler can't do it until 26th and I am now looking for another corgi registered plumber who can do it before that. We have lived here for over 5 years with it like that and the people before us had boiler cover through the makers of the boiler and noone there discovered it - i don't know who installed it!!! - So yes all things being considered I'm dreading the bill.

I know a plumber who could do it, if you want there number let me know

Carol xx

Pipsqueak
07-01-2010, 10:06 PM
trying very hard not to think or worry about it at the moment.
would rather be warm and comfy than freezing though.

ooh heck you got me worrying now.....

Cazz
07-01-2010, 10:06 PM
In answer to your question - yes!!

My heating comes on at 7.00am and goes off at 9.30pm at the moment. :( I've only worked on Tuesday so far this week as other mindee on holiday and don't know about tomorrow's yet - but I still have the heating on the other days as I have a 2 year old and I'm a cold morsel myself :D

If I don't go to bed very early (which is normal for me :D ) I turn the heating on again for about half an hour before I go to bed.

Hope the gas doesn't run out - they're talking about it :panic:

TheBTeam
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Same here at the moment it is going on at 7am and staying on till 8.30pm, until this really cold spell it was not too bad going on for 2.5 hours till 9.30am and then not coming back on till around 2.30pm for the afternoon evening, but now it gets too cold inbetween so it is left on.

Noodles
07-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I am worried now as mine has been on 24/7 for the last 5 weeks :panic: :panic: :panic:

FizzysFriends
07-01-2010, 10:28 PM
In answer to your question - yes!!

My heating comes on at 7.00am and goes off at 9.30pm at the moment. :( I've only worked on Tuesday so far this week as other mindee on holiday and don't know about tomorrow's yet - but I still have the heating on the other days as I have a 2 year old and I'm a cold morsel myself :D

If I don't go to bed very early (which is normal for me :D ) I turn the heating on again for about half an hour before I go to bed.

Hope the gas doesn't run out - they're talking about it :panic:

It won't run out for homes it's factories that they are stopping gas to and only ones that signed up to it. They are now using oil

Cazz
07-01-2010, 10:29 PM
It won't run out for homes it's factories that they are stopping gas to and only ones that signed up to it. They are now using oil

Phew!! :laughing:

singingcactus
08-01-2010, 08:07 AM
We have ours on all the time anyway. I find it uses less gas to do it that way so we are not having to heat the house from cold each day, which would lead us to setting the thermostat higher and the heat kicking in for longer too. So our bill will be what it usually is.
Also with two kids with dangerously low BMI I need to keep the heat constant, and a little one with asthma too.

carebear25
08-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Ours is on 24/7 at the moment tryin 2 keep house warm an warmin it from cold takes foreva, not lookin forward 2 bill x

ajs
08-01-2010, 08:40 AM

we never had a blow pipe installed the cowboy who fitted ours couldn't make it fit so he didn't bother

it is on our ,list of jobs to do when we have some money

i turn the heating down during the day so it's not so hot while we are moving about then i have turned the thermostat back up in the evening but it's not on constant, the windows in our house are so bad there's no point heating the house if we're asleep as the heat just goes out the windows

and in answer to the op yes i am dreading the bills but we do every year old drafty houses drink gas and i live in an old and very drafty house

Noodles
08-01-2010, 09:54 AM
I tried turning my heating down last night seeing its on 24/7 but my smoke alarm complained and went off all night until i finally turned heating back up. This happens every winter if i turn heating down and house gets too cold :mad: :mad:

Pudding Girl
08-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Ours is an old back boiler and is running at (according to the gas man) 30% efficiency, we don't have a timer so it's either on or off and takes an age to warm the house, hence we've left it on constantly but turned down the thermo at bedtime to 10, it's been on constant 18 since 3rd Jan. Dreading our bills, they are high enough normally as it eats the gas.

consoling myself with the thought that I can take 33% off though!

singlewiththree
08-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I am worried now as mine has been on 24/7 for the last 5 weeks :panic: :panic: :panic:

They are worrying me too as mine has been on full time since Sunday

Carpet Monkeys
08-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I was told by our plumber that if you leave your heating on and just use the thermostat to control the temp that is more efficient than turning it on and off constantly. I've had mine on 24/7 but the thermostat has never gone above 16 and we are quite comfortable. At night I turn it down to about 9/10jump out of bed half an hour before I need to and turn it back up in the morning.

Mouse
08-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't worry about it. Our gas bill for the rest of the year is about £20 a quarter, so I pay extra through the summer to cover the winter when it's often on 24/7.

cuddlybunny38
08-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I have gas/ electric meter so charge keys at shop. so pay for it as I need it. The 2 christmas weeks we put in £70.00 gas as we had it on most of the time. we only normal use about £20/£30 per 2 weeks. think we will all be skint lol

angeldelight
08-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I have gas/ electric meter so charge keys at shop. so pay for it as I need it. The 2 christmas weeks we put in £70.00 gas as we had it on most of the time. we only normal use about £20/£30 per 2 weeks. think we will all be skint lol

Yeah my son said the same

But at least you now have no worry and its all paid for

Angel xx

Hebs
08-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm on pre pay meters too

Heating on 24/7 as I hate being cold but only spending £20 a week at the moment, usually spend £5/£10 a week

X

grindal
08-01-2010, 11:37 AM
If DH ever goes back to work ours will not be on half as much! It comes on in the morning for a couple of hours and the house usually stays warm till late afternoon. There is a lot to be said for being semi detached with double glazing and fantastic loft insulation in weather like this!

Annie_T
08-01-2010, 06:28 PM
no as im pay as go - prefer it that way as know what im spending x

zillervalley
08-01-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm on pre pay meters too

Heating on 24/7 as I hate being cold but only spending £20 a week at the moment, usually spend £5/£10 a week

X

I am on a meter for gas, I wount have it any other way, I top it up through the summer, granted I have put more in this last few weeks, but i am the same I HATE TO BE COLD

Trouble
08-01-2010, 06:39 PM
i hate to think what mine will be i have it on 21 all the time apart from bed time

I dont do cold:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

LOOPYLISA
08-01-2010, 06:39 PM
trying very hard not to think or worry about it at the moment.
would rather be warm and comfy than freezing though.

ooh heck you got me worrying now.....

This is what hubs says to me if your cold put it on, we are usually in t-shirts :blush:

Ours is on constantly

Chimps Childminding
08-01-2010, 07:23 PM
we have just had our settlement bill from npower a refund of £320 :clapping: and my monthly payment decreased by £50/month. Trouble is I will probably not now be paying enough with the weather like it is!! I would have thought they would be better to re-assess the bills after this quarter so that we have (hopefully) had the worst of the weather!!!

patevans
08-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I have just had a statement, I pay £80 per month Direct debit and the statement said I still owe them £200 + :eek: :eek: :eek:

I now have to wait another 6 months for another statement, I want a monthly Bill so I can keep on top of it!!

caz3007
08-01-2010, 10:34 PM
I have just spent the couple of years paying of a debit balance, and just about made it before the bad weather started. I didnt put my monthly payment down. In the summer our usage is nominal, so hoping it will even out then

Straws
08-01-2010, 11:00 PM
I am £82 in credit so not bothered about how much gas i use it willl even out during the summer if i get in debit, i pay 42 a month direct debit

Straws xx

maisiemog
09-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Yep we're dreading it but should get into credit during the summer when we only use it for hot water! We have ours on 24/7 on a constant 18c. Took meter readings for 3 days and then went back to old timer system...actually used more gas on timer...plus it got cold during the days!!

sandy64
09-01-2010, 05:40 PM
hi we have a card meter and ave worked it out we go through £3.70 a day this weather well not today since boiler not working but electric fire been on all day and will be for next few days i worry more about electric bills as at least with my gas i pay up front.we should all get a discount for gas & electric