PDA

View Full Version : ARE YOU PANIC BUYING?

angeldelight
07-01-2010, 04:10 PM
They are saying that everyone is panic buying due to the bad weather

More snow is forcast almost everywhere any time between now and next Tuesday

Some supermarkets are selling out of essentials before they have even had one snow flake :laughing:

Soup buying is up by 80%

So come on are you buying in extra just incase you cant go out - or because you dont want to go out because it is too cold?

Angel xxx

beccas
07-01-2010, 04:12 PM
no not me i walk every where and a bit of snow aint going to stop me got my wellies at the ready.:laughing:

Twinkles
07-01-2010, 04:13 PM
My son works in Sainsburys and says they were very short of fresh veg on Monday and by today had virtually none.
The lorries just haven't been able to deliver the food.

Of course you always get one customer who kicks off cos they haven't got what they want :rolleyes:

maisiemog
07-01-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm not but I just went to tesco for bread and all they had was a few loaves of granary (yuck!) I am a bit of a weirdo anyway in that I love my cupboards being full so I can choose what I have to eat so I wouldn't need to go out anyway!

Hope the snow stays away til Sat. we're heading up to cov tomorrow for my grandads birthday and I dont wanna be stuck up there!!!

miffy
07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm not but lots of people are if the shelves at our supermarket are anything to go by!

I've loads of chocolate so not worried yet :D

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
I might ..............if I could get out :laughing:

No buses and our car doors are frozen shut so DH can't take me - I don't drive. A taxi would be £12 each way if they could even get here :rolleyes:

I have plenty of loo rolls, flour etc for bread machine and freezer full of something including Christmas leftovers. We will use that - might make for interesting and inventive dinners :laughing:

Kids will be pleased when veg runs out, will do a shop whenever we next get out. Will survive the weekend at least.

Can't get the healthy food planned for the diet but if we run out altogether I might even lose weight :thumbsup:

charleyfarley
07-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Luckily for us I'm a shopoholic and my cupboards and freezers are always full :D

We haven't got any shops where I live and I've managed so far but I will need to go and get some more fruit and veg tomorrow so the car will have to be used :panic: Oohh and I need some bread and the lottery just incase our numbers come up :thumbsup:

Carol xx

Mollymop
07-01-2010, 04:22 PM
oh no I don't like to hear that!! I gotta go shopping tonight and am gonna be worried there is nothing I want! ha.

We haven't been getting that much snow here lately like most of you guys so I won't have to worry:D

Straws
07-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I went to do extra shopping last night, just incase I have mindess here for tea if parents are late collecting.

Straws xx

PixiePetal
07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Luckily for us I'm a shopoholic and my cupboards and freezers are always full :D

We haven't got any shops where I live and I've managed so far but I will need to go and get some more fruit and veg tomorrow so the car will have to be used :panic: Oohh and I need some bread and the lottery just incase our numbers come up :thumbsup:

Carol xx

I think if you don't live near shops you are used to keeping a full larder and freezer :thumbsup: I like to have a choice too :) My freezer has a whole chicken, chicken breasts, mince, various portions of homemade stew, bread, smoked salmon, oh and ice for my drinks.........:laughing:

Hebs
07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
no cos i'm not planning on being here for the next 2 weeks :clapping:

Bananabrain
07-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Yep! I'm a bit of a panicker in general! Hubby went this morning and said ASDA was empty {of people not food}:laughing:
Wanted to make sure I've got enough in as I've had extra children this week.
Can't really bulk buy though as I've only got a little house.

Bananabrain
07-01-2010, 04:33 PM
I went to do extra shopping last night, just incase I have mindess here for tea if parents are late collecting.

Straws xx

I was just saying this to a minder friend yesterday. That it's just as well we childminders are used to thinking ahead!
That's another thing that wouldn't cross parent's minds when they arrive at 7am without checking that I am able to have their child all day:angry:

Trouble
07-01-2010, 04:41 PM

Carol xx

im the same, hubby reckons if food ran out for a month we would be fine :blush:

Annie_T
07-01-2010, 04:50 PM
nope .. but have got to get a few bits 2moro or sat at least x

Heaven Scent
07-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Oh I'm not bothered I do have cupboards with lots of food and freezer with bits here and there not much to speak about but we have lots of chocolate bought loads of really cheap bargains from Somerfield the other I have mixes for the bread maker which isn't working properly but i can finish it off in the oven plus My lot would soon have to get used to eating Irish soda and brown bread if the going gets tough - I'm sure that unless we got 6ft drifts then we'll all be able to get out to some shop or another at some stage - its elderly people that are a worry. Having said that the elderly man who lives next door was out in his car earlier. I sent DS round the other night when I was popping over to Somerfield to see if he neede anything but he didn't answer the door - I live in a pretty large house and his is as big - its like a mirror image of ours - (they are the only two similar on the road) so I do worry about him affording heat for it - his daughter lives in Chester and his grand childdren are old enough to drive. He told DH the other day that he was speaking to his son who lives in Chicago on the phone and he was telling him about the low temps here and his son said heis were about 5 times lower - crazy isn't it we cant survive here with the slightest variance in temp and people all over the world live with all sorts of extremes.

littlesprogs
07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
I do shopping for a month anyway and being the beginning of the month we have plenty all i need to get is bread and milk and i can walk to the co-op as and when.

even if i need to go to tesco hubby has no problems driving in ice and snow we used to live in elgin so hes used to it hes also done a skid course.

Hebs i heard on the news earlier that the airports might have to close they are already cancelling flights. Might be worth checking out.

Tink
07-01-2010, 05:23 PM
I haven't bought anything extra. I live quite near the shops.

An old lady got punched in the face though this morning by another old lady over a loaf of bread:eek:

Yesterday I went to the shop and a lady had 20 loaves of bread in her trolly:eek: The shop assistant said she could only have 4:laughing: oh it made me laugh.

It's only snow:laughing: :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
07-01-2010, 05:25 PM
I have 2 freezers that are always over full and with the mindees not coming and the shopping done last Friday I have loads.

Did get 2 additional loaves of bread on Monday though.

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I havent been panic buying as the shop is a 5 minutes walk away, so im sure we could make it there :D

ajs
07-01-2010, 05:38 PM
we do live very close to the shops but to get into the closest you need to drive down quite a steep hill so on tuesday i sent sam to get bread and milk but only cos my friend and her 5 were stuck here and i thought we'd run out if they stayed over, they didn't so i have bread and milk and eggs but no veg or fruit whatsoever

i am going to walk to the shops now and see if i can get any inspiration for tea or i will do what debbie suggested and get a takeaway and maybe stock up on chocolate and biscuits lol ( so much for my diet)

LOOPYLISA
07-01-2010, 05:41 PM
As hubby says our cuboards are always full to bursting :blush: :thumbsup:

We have a shop just up the road that is always open even xmas day :thumbsup:

devoncm
07-01-2010, 05:56 PM
We havent brought anything all week, normally go beginning of week but marc been working, ill try and go tomorrow ifmy mum will take me, we dont need much just some fruit bit of fresh veg if they got any, otherwise will have to be frozen, we always got quite a bit in freezer and freeze bread cos we go through so much, just fruit and yoghurtmainly need and thats cos we have got the kids all weekend and maybe an extra from cornwall if trains are running

nannymcflea
07-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Theres nothing in the shops to panic buy here!:eek:

FizzysFriends
07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I haven't bought anything extra, I have made sure my grandparents have enough food and drink in their house to last them til Saturday, which is when I can go over and check on them. They are local but someone got their car stuck in their road and just left it there so nothing could pass :panic:

Alibali
07-01-2010, 06:42 PM
No, not me. I buy for the week and don't keep too much extra - however I don't think we'll starve. Loads of choccies and goodies from christmas still:)

Rubybubbles
07-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I did my big monthly shop on Saturday and spent more than normally getting a few extra bits:o it cost me £100:eek:

Hubby has gone out tonight to get us some fresh stuff, but if can;t get much not an issue as we have cupboards full, and I will just have to run them down sooner:laughing:

venus89
07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Nope as it's only 5 Minutes wakl to the shop but we went to get some milk today and the delivery hadn't come so there was no fresh milk, only some lactose free stuff I bought just in case.... But dh loves to drive in the snow so I can always send him out in the car if things get too bad :D

Pudding Girl
07-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Nope. We have a co-op 10 mins up the rd where I can get essentials - assuming their deliveries get through that is, I cancelled my Tesco order for Sat as I highly doubt they;ll get here, tried to get to asda today but gave up after waiting 40mins in cold for a bus and it's just that bit too far to walk plus downhill all way so slippy and uphill all way back carrying bags.

Got loads in freezer.

Can't understand panic buying :rolleyes:

sue m
07-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm not, got some food in the fridge and freezer and have a shop opposite. I'm a bit worried about my Mum who is 80 and lives in Yorkshire, she said she's getting low on certain foods and she doesn't have neighbours who can help either.

caz3007
07-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Not any more stuff in than usual. Still some bits over from xmas. Our freezer is getting low and I was going to do a freezer shop this weekend. No fruit left here either, but hey we can manage, it wont kill us, even if we have to have beans on toast for tea, it will be fine.

Hubby did buy 2 lots of milk yesterday as our local shop was rationing it and did pick up a couple of loaves, just to be on the safe side, but will be going to Tesco at the weekend, and our local one is never that well stocked at the best of times, so dread to think what it will be like

Pudding Girl
08-01-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm not, got some food in the fridge and freezer and have a shop opposite. I'm a bit worried about my Mum who is 80 and lives in Yorkshire, she said she's getting low on certain foods and she doesn't have neighbours who can help either.

where abouts in Yorks is she? Maybe some kind person on here could help? x

angeldelight
08-01-2010, 10:20 AM

Oh hope she is ok Sue

Is there no one in the forum that lives close that could maybe help ?

Angel xx

wendywu
08-01-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm not, got some food in the fridge and freezer and have a shop opposite. I'm a bit worried about my Mum who is 80 and lives in Yorkshire, she said she's getting low on certain foods and she doesn't have neighbours who can help either.[QUOTE]

Sue could you not do an online shop for her. They will carry it in for her.

Or do milk and more online and get the milk man to deliver. You can add to the order before 9pm the night before. They supply a lot of things now. My milk man got through this morning, i was really supprised.

I went on last night to do my usal order and Tesco not taking orders until 16th Jan:eek: Sainsburys and Ocardo will do Tuesday. So i may just have to go food shopping tonight :panic:

angeldelight
08-01-2010, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE]

Sue could you not do an online shop for her. They will carry it in for her.

Or do milk and more online and get the milk man to deliver. You can add to the order before 9pm the night before. They supply a lot of things now. My milk man got through this morning, i was really supprised.

I went on last night to do my usal order and Tesco not taking orders until 16th Jan:eek: Sainsburys and Ocardo will do Tuesday. So i may just have to go food shopping tonight :panic:

So if they not taking orders how is that going to help Sues mom over the weekend :laughing: :laughing:

I was just about to say it was an excellent idea until I saw the rest of your comment :laughing:

Angel xxx

Twinkles
08-01-2010, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=wendywu;609673]

So if they not taking orders how is that going to help Sues mom over the weekend :laughing: :laughing:

I was just about to say it was an excellent idea until I saw the rest of your comment :laughing:

Angel xxx

http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/1.gif

Maybe the milkman idea is a good one :thumbsup:

Spangles
08-01-2010, 10:51 AM
HOpe your mum is okay Sue, could you phone local council or something on her behalf and see if they can do anything? Must be worrying for you and her.

I'm not panic buying, we'll be fine! Hopefully! Ha! Fingers crossed! I get really scared driving in the icy conditions. I drive so slowly on our estate as it's like an ice rink - I get quite a build up of cars behind me all getting mad probably - makes me giggle!

angeldelight
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=angeldelight;609676]

:laughing: :laughing:

I was teasing Wendy but then she went ha

Angel xx

PixiePetal
08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=angeldelight;609676]

Milkman has not delivered since Tuesday here, due again tomorrow - no idea if it will turn up. Might order some extra stuff myself for when it does.

Luckily for my family, we are on the farm so DH can get fresh milk from the big tank :thumbsup: Won't give it to anyone else as it is not treated. Nearly had to get rid of the whole lot the other day as tanker could not get here to collect it :rolleyes:

Heaven Scent
08-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Been over to my Somerfield (quite a large one) and all the shelves are fully stacked with everything - but we haven't had any snowfall for days - just no thaw and freezing fog.

LOOPYLISA
08-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Omg we have just been to sainsburys, it was packed, we only went as we needed toilet rolls and Em wants to make cakes as shes so bored with being off school, looks like the xmas shop again !!

SimplyLucy
08-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I'd love to panic buy but I can't get out!

I live on a steep hill and after spending a day sledging on Wednesday I'm in too much pain to try and walk to the shops! (damn arthiritis, but my own fault!)

My car won't be moving for a long time, it's a skating rink in our road.

I've not done a shop since before christmas apart from bread, milk, fruit and veg. My freezer is pretty much empty as I was going to Tesco and Iceland last Wednesday. The cupboards are looking very sick too, there will be some strange combinations of food over the next week for my 4 children! Last night was 6 fish fingers, a few oven chips, 2 potato waffles, a few onion rings, a chicken burger and I had a pile of parsnips!

It's one way to use up all the odds and ends!

PixiePetal
08-01-2010, 03:04 PM
I'd love to panic buy but I can't get out!

I live on a steep hill and after spending a day sledging on Wednesday I'm in too much pain to try and walk to the shops! (damn arthiritis, but my own fault!)

My car won't be moving for a long time, it's a skating rink in our road.

I've not done a shop since before christmas apart from bread, milk, fruit and veg. My freezer is pretty much empty as I was going to Tesco and Iceland last Wednesday. The cupboards are looking very sick too, there will be some strange combinations of food over the next week for my 4 children! Last night was 6 fish fingers, a few oven chips, 2 potato waffles, a few onion rings, a chicken burger and I had a pile of parsnips!

It's one way to use up all the odds and ends!

:laughing:

We will be on strange combinations too by the end of Sunday!

I am defrosting a chicken to stick in the slow cooker, it will probably be the last time we all eat the same meal for a while - hope to shop at some point but weather looks set to get bad again till Tuesday :rolleyes:

miss mopple
08-01-2010, 03:34 PM
I have just booked a sainsburys delivery for monday as Im beginning to resemble old mother hubbard. No idea if it will arrive though but it was worth a try :laughing:

In the meantime I keep sending poor hubby up to the shop on foot but he doesnt mind as I let him buy wine to keep us warm ;) he said theres not much in stock at all, but as long as we can get milk so I can have a coffee we'll survive Im sure

Heaven Scent
09-01-2010, 04:03 PM
i keep harping on about my Somerfield but its just a hop skip and a jump away from me - the shelves are very very well stocked and the Warehouse is not far from us now that it has merged with Co-op.

I have not ventured any further but DH has and hasn't said anything about stock levels on his return so I presumed they were normal but my hairdresser was here this morning giving DH his 2 weekly trim and she said that in Tescos they were selling everything off Cheap the other day - they had loads of stuff for 25p just so they could get rid of it so I think its safe to say no panic buying round here.

PixiePetal
09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Yippeee! We made it out to Tesco. Quite well stocked except for bread and milk :rolleyes: Enough for us though :thumbsup:

Decided to go as the weather is meant to get worse again, well stocked on fruit and veg, soup and meat :)

onceinabluemoon
09-01-2010, 09:35 PM
No panic buying from me either. But mainly because I cant get to the shops to buy anything let alone panic buy it.

berkschick
09-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Think my hubby is as he came home with a huge sack of potatoes yesterday "just in case" Lol :laughing: It is huge!

Twinkles
09-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I was in Sainsburys this morning and they had no potatoes. I had to buy frozen roast potatoes for our roast tomorrow ( I might panic if they're not good I like my roasties :D ).
We were on our way out and they were just putting some on the shelves - they were swamped with people in seconds. I couldn't be bothered to go back ! We'll eat pasta :laughing:

ajs
09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Think my hubby is as he came home with a huge sack of potatoes yesterday "just in case" Lol :laughing: It is huge!

my hubby bought 2 big bottles of water today and made me buy and extra bottle of milk and 2 loaves of bread for the freezer

i am not panic buying but it looks like he is

no potatoes or onions in morrisons either today had to buy new pots for our roast

littletreasures
09-01-2010, 11:45 PM
It was busier than Christmas Eve in our Sainsbury's this morning.

I think everyone is panicing.

Mind you, I did buy a load of food for the animals so they won't starve!!!!!

ORKSIE
10-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Yep i am panic buying.....loads of alcohol, Red wine!!! I'm sorted:thumbsup: :D