PDA

View Full Version : Bedtimes

Pipsqueak
07-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I know we have waffled about this before but my 12yr old (in two weeks) tells me that I am apparently 'unfair'

His bedtime during school time is 9pm and once a week because of a programme he likes is allowed to stay up to 10pm -
weekends its 10.30 (apart from Sunday)
he gets up fine in the mornings and when he is clearly suffering from lack of sleep (generally because he doesn't go straight of to sleep) he gets sent to bed a bit earlier.

so does that sound about ok?

and also very wierdly he has started sleeping on the floor:rolleyes:

nannymcflea
07-01-2010, 01:00 PM
I know we have waffled about this before but my 12yr old (in two weeks) tells me that I am apparently 'unfair'

His bedtime during school time is 9pm and once a week because of a programme he likes is allowed to stay up to 10pm -
weekends its 10.30 (apart from Sunday)
he gets up fine in the mornings and when he is clearly suffering from lack of sleep (generally because he doesn't go straight of to sleep) he gets sent to bed a bit earlier.

so does that sound about ok?

and also very wierdly he has started sleeping on the floor:rolleyes:

Sounds very reasonable and fair.:thumbsup:

E last night texted me from bed and said "why can't you be like other parents?"

She'd stropped to bed because we said lights out at 9.15, she wanted 9.30 and we wouldn't back down.

I'm going to show her your post tonight just to show how how reasonable we are being since she is only 10!:D

FussyElmo
07-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Sounds very reasonable and fair.:thumbsup:

E last night texted me from bed and said "why can't you be like other parents?"

She'd stropped to bed because we said lights out at 9.15, she wanted 9.30 and we wouldn't back down.

I'm going to show her your post tonight just to show how how reasonable we are being since she is only 10!:D

Or show her my post as my 10yo goes bed at 8.30 :)

Mollymop
07-01-2010, 01:03 PM
sounds fine Pip.

My son is coming 11 very soon and he goes to bed at 9pm except on fridays and Saturdays when I let him stay up til about 10.30 - 11ish.

He doesn't like going to bed any earlier than 10 - he says it's not fair etc, just like your boy does.

he is sometimes wide awake when I go to bed at 10 and doesn't want to get up in the mornings but I won't let him go to bed any later than 9pm x

jaja
07-01-2010, 01:10 PM
my ds who is 8 goes up to bed at 7pm and spends maybe another hour or so reading or playing with go gos on his bed before we go up and tell him light out, he loves his reading time... My dd who is 4 goes to bed at 6.30 to be read to until 7 and then lights out, although she doesnt tend to be asleep before 8 though....

I think it depends on the child, ds needs alot of sleep where dd keeps giong and going then drops wherever and sleeps for hours at a time...

mama2three
07-01-2010, 02:39 PM
my boys are 14 and 16 - and lights out by 10 in the week ! even at the weekends im quite strict as im sick of them being up after me! Dh and I need some us time too. 10 o clock is late enough when they need to be up at 7.at age 10 they were still in bed at 8.30. mean mummy!

PixiePetal
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
My DS was 13 in Nov. Bedtime on school nights is 9.30 (watches a prog on TV once a week till 10 then straight to bed), weekends 10pm in room and can read or play on his laptop till 10.45 ish. On a school night if he wants to play on his laptop/read he has to go earlier.

He always gets up first in the mornings, if he turns into a grumpy teen and has trouble getting up he will be told to go earlier. Usually if he feels tired he puts himself to bed earlier anyway.

At Christmas he stayed up as later (and DD 15 too) He realised how tired he was getting and felt he was wasting his day not getting up as early as usual. Likes his routine :)

Trouble
07-01-2010, 02:56 PM
my 16 yeaR OLD HAS FOUND FACE BOOK AND ONLINE X BOX And he is always the last one awake in our house and we dont go to bed early at least 12 - 1 am sometimes.:angry:

but he has never done sleep since he was born:(

so yes you are being very fair:thumbsup:

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
07-01-2010, 03:42 PM
i think thats very fair, my nephew is 12 in Feb and he goes to bed at 9.00-9.30 on school nights.

kindredspirits
07-01-2010, 04:06 PM
when i was at boarding school lights out for 12-13 year olds was 8pm! :panic: i think we were allowed 9pm lights out at 15-16 (GCSE years) and in 6th form it was put yourself to bed - i was always asleep by 8pm in 6th form though as i was suffering with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Pipsqueak
07-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Phew - my son had very nearly succeeded with the guilt trip althought I kept thinking I was about right with the timings

thank you ladies

My 5 yr old goes to bed around 6.30ish and 9yr old goes between 7.30/8 - depending on how lairy his behaviour is getting

atmkids
07-01-2010, 05:19 PM
My dd is 12 in June and has to go to bed at 9pm. She's got a telly in her room but she's not allowed to watch it after 9 without my permission. I know she doesn't go to sleep straight away but I go to bed at 10 so need a bit of time to myself. I let her stay up a bit late at the weekends but only if what we're watching is suitable for her age. Am I mean? :rolleyes:

LOOPYLISA
07-01-2010, 05:58 PM
sounds fine Pip.

My son is coming 11 very soon and he goes to bed at 9pm except on fridays and Saturdays when I let him stay up til about 10.30 - 11ish.

He doesn't like going to bed any earlier than 10 - he says it's not fair etc, just like your boy does.

he is sometimes wide awake when I go to bed at 10 and doesn't want to get up in the mornings but I won't let him go to bed any later than 9pm x

Snap :thumbsup:

nannymcflea
07-01-2010, 06:04 PM
I have just shown E this posting and she got all stroppy and told me to "go away".:laughing: She stompped off upstairs, slamming the door as she went, so she was made to come back and read ALL the posts, just to show how "unfair" I am!:laughing:

Blaze
07-01-2010, 06:11 PM
My DS 10 - goes to bed at 7:30 / 8pm Sunday - Thursday & 9:30 - 11pm on Fridays & Saturdays (we play board games as a family once the younger 2 are asleep on Saturdays & Fridays she spends at her Nana's):thumbsup:

Oh & PS When I was around 10 I took the matteress of my bed, moved it to the spare room (no bed in there) - bought a bedside cabinet at a jumble sale & moved in there where I slept on the matteress on the floor - Have no idea why!:huh: My Mum let me get on with it!:laughing:

sarah707
07-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Mine are 14 and 16 and are sent to their rooms at 9... I have had enough of them by then! :D

Daddy Day Care
07-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Sounds very fair to me, i was never allowed to stay up that later at that age.

singingcactus
07-01-2010, 07:38 PM
My boys are 13 and also go up at 9pm. 9.30 at weekends. They can read for 30 minutes or so on a weeknight if they want but certainly no later than 9.30. They are growing boys and need sleep, good food and exercise to successfully grow into adulthood. And I need alone time with my husband.

Pipsqueak
07-01-2010, 07:58 PM
just following on - what the best time to send a grumpy, mardy 46yr old bug&er to bed:littleangel: :D :littleangel:

PixiePetal
07-01-2010, 08:02 PM
just following on - what the best time to send a grumpy, mardy 46yr old bug&er to bed:littleangel: :D :littleangel:

I leave my DH asleep on the sofa if he falls asleep there!!! :laughing: :thumbsup:

Hebs
07-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Mark (almost 10) goes to bed at 8pm, can read for 30 mins then sleep time

Melissa (aged 13) goes to bed at 9pm, again can read for 30 mins then lights out

:thumbsup:

daisyboo1980
07-01-2010, 08:05 PM
this last week ive been sending myself to bed at 8.30 lol so i think ur grand my sis has both in kids in bed by 7 (6 and3)

miss mopple
07-01-2010, 09:20 PM
My 10yr old goes up at 8 and reads til 8.30 then its lights out

Im a mean mum too apparently but quite frankly I dont care as shes got nasty pre teen hormonal stuff going on so by 8 we have had enough of her stroppiness and need grown up time :D

jelly15
07-01-2010, 09:32 PM
DS 14, bed at 9.30 lights out at 10 on school nights, an hour later Fridays and Saturdays. :)

DS 17, is own choice but school nights he always seems to have lights out before 10, shattered with studying I hope:rolleyes:

DH any time but hopefully I am already asleep when he comes to bed:D

helenlc
07-01-2010, 09:40 PM
DS 12 goes to bed at 9 - once a week maybe 9.30 if wants to watch a particular programme.

DD 9 goes to bed at 8.30.

On Fridays, they go to bed at 9 and watch a film. On Saturdays we all watch TV together on the sofa with munchies and they go to bed about 10.30.

If left to it, DS would stay up late every night but will always wake up at 7am dead on!!!:angry: At least he is old enough now to bring himself downstairs in the morning!!!

Cazz
07-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Blimey - I think I'm the mean one!!

My just turned 12 year old twins go to bed at 8.30pm on a school night and dh thinks that's too late!! :eek: It's difficult as my dd needs her sleep and is normally straight to sleep (like her father :rolleyes: ) and last to wake, whereas ds takes a while to go to sleep (like me :D ) and is always the first up and downstairs in the mornings. Because they're twins though my dd would scream blue murder if he was allowed to stay up later!

At the weekends it varies, normally 10.00 - 10.30pm but a bit earlier if they are playing football quite early the next morning.

My worst issue is my 2 year old - trying to get her to sleep earlier in the evening (and not waking at 5.00am when she does :angry: )