PDA

View Full Version : -7 here

Chatterbox Childcare
07-01-2010, 07:27 AM
It is really cold outside and is -7 without a wind factor.

All the schools are closed again so I am staying in apart from one essential trip out later.

No children yesterday as everything just about shut down, maybe the same today. Just waiting for the phone calls for 2 little ones.

I forgot to leave the heating on last night and it has been going full blast since 4am and the air is still a bit chilly. I have my hot chocolate and am going back to bed to watch a film.

Have a good day everyone and I hope is melts as quickly as it arrives so we can get back to normal.

sarah707
07-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Our smaller schools are re-opening today! :eek:

High School is still shut so the big ones are snoring... but I'm expecting a full complement of little ones to be shunted around.

Ah well, needs must, we're nearly out of loo roll! :D

breezy
07-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Schools shut here!!!
Hoping not to go out, have plenty of coffee in and loo roll:)

singlewiththree
07-01-2010, 08:05 AM
some schools shut here, some open its currently -11 according to google online. the roads are still bad. My children's school is shut and mindees parents but the other mindees mum's school is open but she is leaving little one with the older siblings as their school is shut (one older one has left school now) I only found out when I texted her to explain how bad the roads were near me so she wouldn't attempt to park on them. A mindee free day for me again :clapping:

ORKSIE
07-01-2010, 08:07 AM
It snowed here again last night, not enough to close the schools tho.
I have enough Loo roll if anyone needs any:D

little miss chatterbox
07-01-2010, 08:15 AM
wow that's cold!
we've finally had it and all our schools are closed.
I only have one mindee today and am waiting to hear if they're coming!
so if they do I'll have my girls and a 2 yr old mindee!

Have a good day everyone and keep warm!

jelly15
07-01-2010, 08:19 AM
All schools shut in county and I am due to have 3 LOs. Paents of one are teachers so don't know yet if she is bringinng her, parent of another drives 4x4 so might come and last one could possibly walk.

Am getting worried about what to say to parents if they ask if they have to pay when they didn't show up, as they didn't want to risk travelling to my house.

Two sets of parents haven't paid this week and if they don't they will have to pay double next week, they aren't going to be happy:(

Heaven Scent
07-01-2010, 08:42 AM
You think that's bad it was -15when DH went to work at 5.00ish and parents who have dropped off so far say its -11.

My Childrens school has re-opened today but I've decided to keep them home - their school is at the edge of the Peak District National Park - foot of the Pennines and I used to work in that town so Know how bad the roads enroute will be. Also on Monday the head delayed lots of classes at the end of the day and busses couldn't get onto the school grounds so the bus for this area of our town left with just a few 6th formers on it - My 2 got home like sticks of ice at 5.30. I was so cross - All the other schools in the town are closed and all but 1 school in this town is closed - I have 2 mindees from that school but 1 mum doesn't want him to go and the other mum is off work and is dropping the girl to school and picking her up then droppping her off here till 6.00 (-Social Services pay her fees cause the child is fostered) & they live in one of the biggest houses in the town - typical!!! I actually don't mind because I've stayed in almost every day and the kiddies have been brill - I've left the big ones in the sunroom which I use for minding and brought the younger ones and some toys into my living room.

The older ones have had a brill time with the X box - DS has Band and Guitar Hero & some Movie maker thing and they have been making bands and movies - Every now and again I've let them out in the snow for short bursts. All in all its not too stressful.

Annie_T
07-01-2010, 09:55 AM
the sun is shining here but we still have snow all over place (fell quite bit late last night)

Nikki's stars
07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
:cool: Very cold here too. Schools closed! Roads are impassible - the main roads are sheet ice so no trips anywhere!! I've got two children until 1.30 so we may go sledging on the local hill and lots of hot choc to warm us up!!

Nikki xx

charleyfarley
07-01-2010, 10:07 AM
-7.5 here this morning on school run and you could tell :panic: :eek: Our school is always open no matter how bad the snow is

I have just started my car just to check it's ok and it has warmed up to -6.5, no outside play for us today.

Carol xx

nannymcflea
07-01-2010, 01:37 PM
We've had to buy loo roll too!:eek:

Was -10 here at lunch time. Got to go out and get kids from school later, hoping the A66 will be closed so we can go and play on the main road!:laughing:

Theres 8ft snow drifts up there but we won't be going to the top to find them.:D

Mollymop
07-01-2010, 01:42 PM
It is very very cold here. I don't know how cold but cold enough that I have never felt anything like it before.

I rushed home from the school run which is a 20 min walk and my head was aching because of the chill.

I am not looking forward to going back out there again at 2. 40!:panic:

nannymcflea
07-01-2010, 01:46 PM
We've had to buy loo roll too!:eek:

Was -10 here at lunch time. Got to go out and get kids from school later, hoping the A66 will be closed so we can go and play on the main road!:laughing:

Theres 8ft snow drifts up there but we won't be going to the top to find them.:D

My wish just happened, the lorries have started stacking up outside our house. First sign the A66 is closed, they send them through the village then back up the A66 the other way!

Heaven Scent
07-01-2010, 03:23 PM
My wish just happened, the lorries have started stacking up outside our house. First sign the A66 is closed, they send them through the village then back up the A66 the other way!

Why is that your wish????

nannymcflea
07-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Why is that your wish????

Lol, it's not really but just with the snow for nearly 3 weeks I'm trying to find ways of making it fun!

It only closed for 1/2 hour then opened again. Would have liked to have seen the drifts though, neighbours walked onto the road and made snow angels.

It's not really fun when the lorries are parked outside the house.

Just trying to make the best of the weather here.:)

geordiebunny
07-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Aww i love the a66 my step sons first saw snow when we travelled to north east first xmas they lived with us, we pulled over and they had real fun at roadside throwing snowballs.
Still can't believe we have snow outside it hardly ever snows or lies here due to the sea air.

FizzysFriends
07-01-2010, 07:00 PM
It was -10 here this morning and the car was totally frozen, doors froze **** and had to scrape the windows inside aswell as outside! The bottles of water kept in there were frozen solid as were the spare socks.

LOOPYLISA
07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
our school closed dd is so happy,

Thank goodness we have a 4x4 :clapping: is all i can say :thumbsup:

Stay safe everyone x

Heaven Scent
07-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Ah you load of softies - it was -18 in Woodford in Cheshire today just 2degrees warmer than the South Pole. That makes it the coldest place in the UK today and not Benson in Herts (DH is from there and I lived there for a year Herts not Benson) which has been reported on ITN news as the coldest place in UK today - it was a balmy -17.5 degrees - see the blinkin national news readers are all soft southerners and so they only see the small picture - we Northerners are made of much tougher stuff and can handle that extra -.5 degree (don't know how to type the little 'o' symbol) and don't need it broadcast on the national news!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: