PDA

View Full Version : self employed, tax credits???

Mia'smummyx
06-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I kindly had my employment terminated!!!!!
I have an interview for temping next week though, I have not rang tax credits yet as im planning on going straight back into work,
when should i become self employed??? Should i wait untill first mindee or can i do it now??
What will they say if i say im starting up but have no children yet??
Its more regards to my tax credits, (if anyone knows how they work with self employed)
Im worried its going to mess my tax credits up and they are a big help at the moment.
thanks leah xx:idea:

Zoomie
06-01-2010, 04:58 PM
really you are self employed as soon as you start incurring your first expenses in setting up your business.

i would call and say you are now SE (you need to registered as SE with tax office first) and say you work the minimum of 16 hours, so that your tax credits continue.

HTHs, it may not be right, but it is what I would do.

singlewiththree
06-01-2010, 05:19 PM
I started as self employed when first mindee started however I told tax credits i was self employed before then as I was doing paperwork. I was "working" 16hrs a good month or two before mindee actually started.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2010, 05:19 PM
It is your responsibility to tell TC when you are no longer working 16 hours per week. They can take the money back off of you and fine you if you do not tell them.

Mia'smummyx
06-01-2010, 05:25 PM
It is your responsibility to tell TC when you are no longer working 16 hours per week. They can take the money back off of you and fine you if you do not tell them.

Does paper work self employed class as working???
This is why i am looking to temp asap!!!!
I am still paid till next week so in theory still employed till then.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Call TC and get it from the horses mouth and then you will know without doubt

Mia'smummyx
06-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Im worried to call them incase they say im now unemployed and stop money then have to go onto benefits, then its just one big hassle and dont want to go down that road, hence temping work.
Thank you for the advice though, think i best toughen up and call them!!
Leah x

beccas
06-01-2010, 06:42 PM
tell them you have stopped previous job and now self emp. as childminder and then come april they will do tax credits on what you earned last year but as soon as you think you will exceed just phone to confirm and they alter it. it takes a year of taxcredits till you get leveled out.

Curly Quavers
06-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Your tax credit award up too April 2010 is based on your income for Apr 2008 - Apr 2009 you need to phone them and say you are self employed however at this stage that is all they will be bothered about. then your tax credit ward from April 2010 will be based from APR 2009 - APR 2010 income.

I hope this makes sense I was in the same position as you as we rely on our tax credits at the moment.

Mia'smummyx
07-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Thank you that does help, I also get part of my rent paid as i live in a rented house and on a low wage,
I have tried to call the council today (closed due to weather) as to how they work out how much i need to pay when self employed, I have been told its 1/3 of what you earn but does anyone know how they work out what you earn??? Do they do an average and at the end of the year they work it correctly out or do they take your word that you are earning x amount??
Many thanks and sorry for my rambling!!!
Leah