PDA

View Full Version : school dinners

mamasheshe
06-01-2010, 01:59 PM
hello just wondering what school dinners are like in your area dd just started school get free school dinners at the moment but the menu is n't great eg chicken pieces, fish fingers, baked beans, lots of potato wedges. we are quite healthy at home but i feel the school menu should be better just wondering what peoples thought experience with school dinners are.

am a being an over the top mum ????????

LittleAcorns
06-01-2010, 02:26 PM
My youngest is 7 and Im relatively happy with the meals, shes a fussy little thing so she does enjoy what they offer, I always ask what shes had a work tea around that, I do get her to snack on fruit and veg to compliment what shes had in the day

My eldest is 13 and the meals they offer are outstanding, they are all homemade well balanced with lots of variety, Ive said Im happy if she has pizza/burger/chips type meal once or twice a week and better choices the other days, she quite often will come home and say shes had a yorkshire pudding filled with beef and veg and at about £2 cant beat it!!!

I dont think youre being an over the top mum or anything like that, what they eat affects the way they behave and their mood I think, If my kids have junk food a couple of days in a row for what ever reason they are irritable and dont concentrate well etc :thumbsup:

nannymcflea
06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Roast dinners, curry, sausage and mash,lasagne,jacket spuds.

I wish I could eat there.:laughing:

Bananabrain
06-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I worked as an MSA briefly at my son's primary.
I have to say that the school dinners were appalling!!!
The beautiful coloured brochures bear no relation to the food offered and I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole!
I came very close to contacting the local authority they were that bad.
One of my mindees announced today that she is changing to packed lunches.
Doesn't surprise me at all.
This is one of my 'sore subjects' as I think we should be doing a lot more for our children.What they advertise to parents and what is produced are two very different things!!! And I think it's a disgrace.

louise
06-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi. This who does my sons
http://westsussex.mealselector.co.uk/
Its not very good for him as he will not eat mince. He has got really fussy. They get to choose if they want the veg which my son will say no to but would eat if its on the plate. I went on a taster session and i must say i wasn't that happy with the food. They put hardly any sauce in anything and there wasn't much taste. I know they have to cater for all but i found it quite yuck. Its prob as they reheat everything at school as they dont have a kitchen.
Lou

mama2three
06-01-2010, 06:22 PM
even within the same area the individual schools will differ. one of the village schools has lovely meals , cooked on site , but the other is poor - despite the same menu.
I was talking about school meals with the boys last week , telling them how good mine used to be .....they replied , yeah mum but that was in a different century!!

Annie_T
06-01-2010, 08:45 PM
my 2 were on free schooll dinners and they loved them (some bits they didnt tho)

the kids school is a healthy menu school. everything sourced as local as possible & made within school etc too.

if you dont want dinners you can have lunch boxes in the school where my kids go which is nice in summer.

My kids are now on pack lunches as i working and dont qualify for free meals now and i not paying £220 day each child when i can spend just over that for weeks lunch box x

sweets
06-01-2010, 09:02 PM
my 2 were on free schooll dinners and they loved them (some bits they didnt tho)

the kids school is a healthy menu school. everything sourced as local as possible & made within school etc too.

if you dont want dinners you can have lunch boxes in the school where my kids go which is nice in summer.

My kids are now on pack lunches as i working and dont qualify for free meals now and i not paying £220 day each child when i can spend just over that for weeks lunch box x

£220 a day! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: what do they get caviar? lol

sorry i know you mean £2.20:)

suez
06-01-2010, 09:30 PM
was thinkin the same thats a very expensive dinner + puddin :laughing: