PDA

View Full Version : Teachers charges

WildMonkies
06-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Hello all

What do you charge teachers who want term time only? School hols are 12(?) weeks of the year which seems alot to not get paid for?

Val x

Daftbat
06-01-2010, 09:00 AM
I do term time only contracts for some people who don't need holiday cover. Its not just teachers who don't need cover in the holidays - many people use grandparents in the hols too. I also have holiday only contracts and the two fit together quite well.

Twinkles
06-01-2010, 09:05 AM
I charge 50% in the school hols for school staff.

If you can fill the place with holiday only children then all well and good but if you can't it's a lot of money to lose.

The teachers I work for are more than happy with this as if they used a nursery they would still have to pay full fees.

jaja
06-01-2010, 09:06 AM
I charge a retainer, 1/2 fee in holidays but i keep the space open for if they need it, some have extra days in holidays for teacher training days and depends on age of child too...

Depends what you want to charge... I find that parents are fine with 1/2 fee in holidays especially teachers

good luck xx

sandy64
06-01-2010, 09:07 AM
hi i charge half fee for holidays for under 5s as they are holding a place unless of course i manage to fill it. bur everyone charges different so theres no right or wrong.

peanuts
06-01-2010, 09:11 AM
i charge a retainer for the school holidays, a % of their fee.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
I do term time only contracts for some people who don't need holiday cover. Its not just teachers who don't need cover in the holidays - many people use grandparents in the hols too. I also have holiday only contracts and the two fit together quite well.

Me too - school holidays are 13 weeks of the year. I also get paid for 2 weeks holidays and because I don't take them the parents get charged 41 weeks of the year and I use them in the school holidays.

The Juggler
06-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Me too - school holidays are 13 weeks of the year. I also get paid for 2 weeks holidays and because I don't take them the parents get charged 41 weeks of the year and I use them in the school holidays.

I don't charge in hols as I prefer to have fewer children then. If I needed to have year round work, I would probably charge a retainer though. I work on 39 weeks a year. I have a combination of year round childrne who come only 2 days/week and term-time only children though.

mumx3
06-01-2010, 01:39 PM
I calculate a fee based on 43 weeks a year. (39 weeks term time plus 4 weeks paid holiday), then I spread the cost over 12 months and they pay equal amounts each month.

I choose to work term time only so do not charge a retainer the other weeks as I am unavailable. I take my holidays ALWAYS in school holidays.

You do have to be careful when calculating holiday pay and ensuring you calculate fees properly.

for example I plan to review fees in August for every family and these will come into effect for the 1st of Sept each year. This is because I work term time only.

If a family starts in January instead of Sept I work out how much holiday pay they owe pro-rata.

Say the fees were £100 per week. There are 26 weeks of term time between the 4th of Jan and the 23rd of July 2010. And I take 4 weeks paid holiday per year. It would be unfair to charge the family 4 weeks of the holiday pay as they are only using me for 2 terms of that contract period not 3 terms and therefor 39 weeks.

So I work out how much the holiday pay is over 12 months and add it on to the bill each month as an additional charge.

e.g. £100 per week x 4 weeks= £200. £200/12 months = £16.60 per month.

This means they make 8 payments between Jan and up to and including August of £16.60 Which is a total of £133.33 instead of £200.

This means every family pay the correct amount of holiday pay at the correct amount according to when the contract starts.

Parent love this. All my contracts are like this bar one who is on an as and when basis but pays a higher hourly rate due to this.

The only other thing I would say is if you choose to balance payments across the year...easier for you and them...then TAKE a deposit. Because the fees will be calculated to include a payment for August...if they give notice at the beginning of July you will effective have worked a month for free because You have to have Augusts payment too in order to cover the hours up to the end of July! If you dont take a deposit calculate the fees not to include a payment in August.

Also like with any calculation spreading the cost of the fees means if a family serves notice at any point through out the year you have to look at your attendance reg. and bankstatements/invoices to work out how much they owe you or you owe them before they leave.

This recently happened to me when a father was made redundant asnd they served notice...I realised I was a couple of days pay short for what I had worked.... gave them the choice to pay outstanding fees or not attend the last couple of days notice period....they chose the latter...and were quite happy with this.

Good Luck