PDA

View Full Version : have you bought a car from a car supermarket before?

newandlearning
05-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Am currently looking for a new car and am wondering if any one has bought a car from a car supermarket.. the closest to me is Jefferies Farm, Crawley.. I've always bought from small dealers before... has anyone bought a car from here by chance?

If you had the choice would you pick a car from a car supermarket or a franchise dealer.. or an independent dealer?

nannymcflea
06-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Am currently looking for a new car and am wondering if any one has bought a car from a car supermarket.. the closest to me is Jefferies Farm, Crawley.. I've always bought from small dealers before... has anyone bought a car from here by chance?

If you had the choice would you pick a car from a car supermarket or a franchise dealer.. or an independent dealer?

Always private,get more for your money. You do need to know what you are looking for with regards to FSH, condition etc.

Do be careful with APR at these supermarkets, you may well end up paying a heck of a lot over a long time if you take finance.

Make sure you haggle too, walk away before you decide too, they are very good at getting you to sign there and then and if you leave a deposit and change your mind you will loose the deposit.

What are you looking for?

balloon
06-01-2010, 11:01 AM
My son bought a car from one of these supermarkets, he got badly stung re price and bought a heap of junk that was quite honestly knackered when they sold it to him. I'd stay well away!

Tink
06-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Personally i'd want to go to an approved dealer so I know i'm getting the right thing.

I once went with a friend who bought a car the man said it's passed MOT and is fantastic. Ha she got it to the end of the road the brakes didn't work and the handbrake snapped.

So be careful could you take someone with you who knows cars to give it a thorough check?

FizzysFriends
06-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I've looked around one but the prices were over the top so went to a local garage with a good reputation for aftersales service!

Kelly
06-01-2010, 01:17 PM
My husband got his from a car supermarket, and we actually got a fairly good deal. We were struggling to find the car he wanted, I think you are OK if you do not need to arrange finance with them, we found the prices pretty similar to the dealer and the car still had its manufacturers warranty.

Annie_T
06-01-2010, 01:21 PM
my fella got a car from a car supermarket as he only had small amount cash to buy car and needed one asap

he got a puma and had to pay it over 5 years ... paying over the odds too and if late with payment they charged something lik £60 on top of the payment required (he had cancel dd soemtimes due to when payday would fall)

but it is handy as car basically yours from that moment but can be taken away if you fail with payments etc

he wouldnt do it again private dealers only

teacake2
07-01-2010, 11:25 AM
My son bought one once as he needed to get rid of his old one and they supposedly were giving £1000 for any car as long as it had an MOT, the car was very good as it turned out but as he also needed finance and had to take theirs he ended up paying a lot more than if he had been able to go elsewhere, also it was stated that you could have your car and drive away within the hour, it actually took 6 hours mainly due to the sales reps doing talks about this, that and the other and trying to sell him all sorts of other things that he did not want, very reminiscent to time share, double glazing etc (no insult meant to anyone who may be involved with these type of companies).
Teacake2

suez
07-01-2010, 11:44 AM
same here they supposudly brought our car for 1000 to be took off the finance car we were gettin it on finance as we were in the process of buyin our council house n we put extra on top to pay off debts so we told em we was gonna be payin off in a couple of months ...well lo n behold we come to pay n we had to pay 5yrs worth of interest for payin in 4 months :angry: