PDA

View Full Version : IMAGINE NO HEATING BRRRRRRRR

angeldelight
05-01-2010, 08:09 PM
There has been a huge power surge in the last few days with us all turning up our heating

Imagine us having no gas - what would we do

Brrrrrrrr we would have to bring out the thermals :laughing:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1240658/Gas-shortage-fears-Britain-demand-heat-homes-surges.html

Angel xxx

PixiePetal
05-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Saw this on GMTV. Brrrr!

We don't get gas to our house - oil fired heating. Elec power cut today and no heating for 6 hours. That was bad enough and at least the house was warm before it went off.

angeldelight
05-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Saw this on GMTV. Brrrr!

We don't get gas to our house - oil fired heating. Elec power cut today and no heating for 6 hours. That was bad enough and at least the house was warm before it went off.

Oh lucky your house was warm then hope you have it sorted now

Angel xx

PixiePetal
05-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Oh lucky your house was warm then hope you have it sorted now

Angel xx

Yes, heating on and wood fire in the grate. :thumbsup: and it has just started snowing :( Had enough of it before Christmas :rolleyes:

Alibali
05-01-2010, 08:15 PM
I was lying in my bed last night thinking this and remembering when I was a child and we had no heating apart from a gas fire in the lounge. My Dad used to get up and put our clothes in front of fire to warm and make us either porridge or homemade soup for breakfast!

The water was cold too brrrrrr, no wonder I didn't want to get washed:laughing:

sarah707
05-01-2010, 08:33 PM
It's only in the last 6 months my mum (aged 84) has had a boiler!

Until then if she didn't lay the fire she was cold :cold:

Pipsqueak
05-01-2010, 08:36 PM
I was lying in my bed last night thinking this and remembering when I was a child and we had no heating apart from a gas fire in the lounge. My Dad used to get up and put our clothes in front of fire to warm and make us either porridge or homemade soup for breakfast!

We didn't have heating throughout when I was little either. My dad used to put our clothes in front of the fire too:) Memories - I can remember how blooming cold it was. We then got a couple of calor gas heaters - blo8dy dangerous things - my sister burnt her bum once!
A coal fire in the living room and that was it. aaah kids today.... dunno they are born eh! an then we got a little heater to go in one of the bedrooms and then finally we got central heating! Dad hated it:laughing:

Amaranth
05-01-2010, 08:36 PM
A town not far from me has had no gas supply for 4 days :eek: I think they were supposed to be getting some supply back today but not seen news so no idea if it happened.
We have lots of snow too, so they will have been verrrry cold :(

Bananabrain
05-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Me too! We didn't even have peoper carpets,mostly just lino.
And one coal fire in the front room. No -one went to the toilet in winter because it was too cold to move:laughing:
And the milk would be frozen in the bottles.
And there were 14 of us living in a matchbox.......................................... ...................................actually that's a lie........................it was 15!!!
First bits are true tho'
Wonder how we survived sometimes.
My grandfather told me that early this century he can remember people burning their furniture to keep warm. For years I thought it was a fib.
It wasn't.

angeldelight
05-01-2010, 08:38 PM

Same here

Wonder how we managed back then

Angel xx

Twinkles
I remember getting up and having a wash and getting dressed in front of the gas fire.

I also remember ice on the inside of my bedroom window brrrrrrrr....

mama2three
no central heating or double glazing 'way back when' . I can remember ice on the inside of the bedroom window. We always got dressed in the living room too , with warmed clothes.

angeldelight
05-01-2010, 08:40 PM

We had that too

It used to stay there all day and we were froze

Angel xx

Amaranth
05-01-2010, 08:41 PM
I remember getting up and having a wash and getting dressed in front of the gas fire.

Ooh, that just reminded me. When me and dh bought our first house it had no heating and no double glazing and we braved the first winter without putting heating in. We woke up on a regular basis to windows frozen on inside! :panic: That was the one and only year we went without heating :laughing:

mama2three
05-01-2010, 08:44 PM
my sister burnt her bum once!

you reminded me pip , my brother did that on the gas fire one christmas morning , warming his bum coz it was freezing. still has the grill shaped scar 30 some years later!!:laughing:

FizzysFriends
05-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I don't have gas here, Im on oil too and my friends locally are coal/wood.

Can remember the good old days of ....................................... a combi boiler, doesn't quite have the same sound to it as you lot.

tulip0803
05-01-2010, 08:46 PM

My son doesn't believe me when I say this. I used o pull my clothes into bed to warm them and get dressed under the covers:laughing:

LOOPYLISA
05-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Must have been awful :panic:

Hubs is a heating engineer/plumber, im always warm :clapping:

Hebs
05-01-2010, 08:59 PM
:clapping:

i'm glad i was an 80's kid :D

charleyfarley
05-01-2010, 08:59 PM
This thread has made me laugh remembering the good old days :laughing:

No central heating, not even double glazing
Calor gas heaters
Ice on the inside of our windows and jew drops on the end of your nose
Getting dressed in the cold or in bed

Those were the days :laughing:

Carol xx

nannymcflea
05-01-2010, 09:04 PM
lol, no gas in this village anyway!

If we loose the electric we are stuffed, no cooker, no heating. We'd have to go live in the caravan and put the calor gas heater on!:laughing:

FussyElmo
05-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Calor gas heaters I had forgotten about them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I was teaching mine the rhymne about Jack frost and they couldnt get why the windows would have frost on them.

LOOPYLISA
:clapping:

i'm glad i was an 80's kid :D

Me too :laughing:

Hebs
i only have double glazing in the living NOW bedrooms are single glazed :thumbsup:

sonia ann
05-01-2010, 09:18 PM

I was about to post this until I read this:laughing:

jelly15
05-01-2010, 10:01 PM
We were the same as many of you, coal fire in living room and a pariffin heater in the hall. No double glazing and drafty doors. Rugs and lino on the floor, nothing like the lino today. Hot water bottles and so many blankets it was too heavy to turn over in bed.

When the council put new windows and central heating we felt ill as the house was too stuffy:laughing:

Twinkles
05-01-2010, 10:04 PM
We were the same as many of you, coal fire in living room and a pariffin heater in the hall. No double glazing and drafty doors. Rugs and lino on the floor, nothing like the lino today. Hot water bottles and so many blankets it was too heavy to turn over in bed.

When the council put new windows and central heating we felt ill as the house was too stuffy:laughing:

I still like a hotwater bottle even in my centrally heated house :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
05-01-2010, 10:10 PM
This thread has made me laugh. I thought our house was the only freezing one way back then in the 70's :laughing:

Ice inside the windows, I remember those. I used to put my finger on it to melt a face into the ice.

I sometimes wore more to go to bed than I did in the daytime :D

DH has said we might get a calor gas heater in case our electric goes again, like today :rolleyes: Our house is Victorian with original chilly sash windows. Give me double glazed ones any day!

LOOPYLISA
05-01-2010, 10:11 PM

my mum always has a water bottle

sweets
05-01-2010, 10:15 PM
my mum always has a water bottle

me too! because i have my heating on all day for the mindees, i usually turn it off when they go home to try and save some money. it soon goes cold but i dont mind as theres only me and i snuggle on the sofa with a fleecy throw and a warm wheat bag, laptop and tv remote and thats me for the eve sometimes. about 9 ish i pop upstairs and flick my electric blanket on so my bed is nice and warm when i go to bed.

i am not 90 by the way! lol. but sometimes i feel like it:laughing:

angeldelight
05-01-2010, 10:15 PM
DH has said we might get a calor gas heater in case our electric goes again, like today :rolleyes: Our house is Victorian with original chilly sash windows. Give me double glazed ones any day!

Oh we had a calor gas heater years and years ago and had to buy the refil bottles

Made me so ill though with a bad chest they made the air so dry

Thank goodness for central heating :laughing:

Angel xx

angeldelight
05-01-2010, 10:16 PM

A 90 year old sweet ? I dread to think :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Twinkles
05-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Our house is Victorian with original chilly sash windows.

Ours too ! But it's a good excuse to have a real fire :D

LOOPYLISA
05-01-2010, 10:20 PM
me too! because i have my heating on all day for the mindees, i usually turn it off when they go home to try and save some money. it soon goes cold but i dont mind as theres only me and i snuggle on the sofa with a fleecy throw and a warm wheat bag, laptop and tv remote and thats me for the eve sometimes. about 9 ish i pop upstairs and flick my electric blanket on so my bed is nice and warm when i go to bed.

Sounds lovely, my hubbys my hot water bottle ;)

charleyfarley
05-01-2010, 10:32 PM

Daz can't survive without having the electric blanket on :panic: me, I hate it.

He even wants one for his tanker :panic: :panic:

Carol xx

angeldelight
05-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Daz can't survive without having the electric blanket on :panic: me, I hate it.

He even wants one for his tanker :panic: :panic:

Carol xx

Oh no :panic:

I hate being wrapped up warm and could not stand having a electric blanket

Buy him one for his tanker I dare you ha ha :laughing:

Angel xx

charleyfarley
05-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Oh no :panic:

I hate being wrapped up warm and could not stand having a electric blanket

Buy him one for his tanker I dare you ha ha :laughing:

Angel xx

NO WAY Angel, he's got a night heater, can't spoil him too much or he won't want to come home :D

I really can't stand the lecy blanket and don't have it on all week, thinking of getting him a single one for the bed, it's either that or separate beds :laughing:
I don't even have the quilt on me just the throw, it's just to hot and my leg has to be out, Daz thinks I'm wierd :panic: :D

Carol xx

Roseolivia
06-01-2010, 08:07 AM
As long as it wasn't for days i'd just stay in bed:laughing: Seriously i'd just put layers of clothing on.

manjay
06-01-2010, 09:22 AM
I don't have to imagine!!!! as I don't have any:( My boiler hasn't worked since Monday morning - just about an hour after dh left for 3 weeks away:panic: . I have spent hours on the phone to the manufacturers and tried all the things possible I can do myself but no use. I finally managed to beg a call out today and of course the engineer is snowed in! No gas in my village either so we are on oil and dh has the electric heater in his van 200 miles away. Just keeping my fingers crossed they can get to me tomorrow

sonia ann
06-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't have to imagine!!!! as I don't have any:( My boiler hasn't worked since Monday morning - just about an hour after dh left for 3 weeks away:panic: . I have spent hours on the phone to the manufacturers and tried all the things possible I can do myself but no use. I finally managed to beg a call out today and of course the engineer is snowed in! No gas in my village either so we are on oil and dh has the electric heater in his van 200 miles away. Just keeping my fingers crossed they can get to me tomorrow

thats awful ......sending you warm hugs!!!!!

childmind04
06-01-2010, 11:21 AM
My friends heating went off on Saturday, thankfully fixed yesterday :)

The one thing i do miss from when we were younger and cold was getting tucked into bed with those big heavy candlewick??? bedspreads, you used to have to try and slide into them so they would be nice and snug around you :)

PixiePetal
06-01-2010, 11:33 AM
My friends heating went off on Saturday, thankfully fixed yesterday :)

The one thing i do miss from when we were younger and cold was getting tucked into bed with those big heavy candlewick??? bedspreads, you used to have to try and slide into them so they would be nice and snug around you :)

i have a big brown candlewick bedspread that the kids use to make camps in the garden, donkeys years old!!

When I was little, my sister and I had white ones on our beds (shared a room so they matched), I played with my other sisters' fountain pen and got blue ink on mine, hid it under the bed and thought mum would not notice! Derr!!!! as if she wouldn't :laughing:

sweets
06-01-2010, 06:10 PM
i think i remeber candlewick bedspreads. are they the ones that you were able to pick bits off? i remember sitting in bed and picking at my blanket and gettign told off for it :laughing:

angeldelight
06-01-2010, 06:49 PM
i think i remeber candlewick bedspreads. are they the ones that you were able to pick bits off? i remember sitting in bed and picking at my blanket and gettign told off for it :laughing:

ha ha i dont want to admit I remember them ha ha

Angel xx

angeldelight
06-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Have you got it sorted Amanda I really feel for you - you must be froze

Worse when you are used to it working

Angel xx

manjay
06-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Have you got it sorted Amanda I really feel for you - you must be froze

Worse when you are used to it working

Angel xx

No, not fixed yet and to top it all my dishwasher has just stopped working. The error code tells me the waste pipe is blocked which means it will be frozen somewhere. So now I have piles of washing up and no hot water to wash it in. Think I might just write this week off;)

angeldelight
06-01-2010, 08:17 PM
No, not fixed yet and to top it all my dishwasher has just stopped working. The error code tells me the waste pipe is blocked which means it will be frozen somewhere. So now I have piles of washing up and no hot water to wash it in. Think I might just write this week off;)

Oh no

Think you need to go back to bad and snuggle under the duvet for a week

Angel xx

Pauline
06-01-2010, 08:58 PM

I was just going to say that, had to scrape it off to see outside and see what the weather was doing.

No duvets just really heavy blankets - some were grey army ones from the war!!

Don't know they are born these days do they, load of wusses or is that wussie? :laughing:

Pauline
06-01-2010, 09:08 PM

I don't need one, I just stick my cold feet on Graham ..... ooooh you should hear him scream :laughing:

Alibali
07-01-2010, 01:21 PM

Me and my brother got into trouble for that too, and picking the woodchip off the wall too:blush:

PixiePetal
07-01-2010, 01:54 PM
My bedroom windows had ice on the inside this morning :eek:

Only where the sash windows meet and there is a draught. Heating was on and I was cosy in bed, only nioticed when I opened the curtains.

I remember getting new 'continental quilts', we thought we were really posh! Think they came after blankets and before duvets - no cover on it, still had sheets under it.

Pauline
07-01-2010, 06:21 PM
I remember getting new 'continental quilts', we thought we were really posh! Think they came after blankets and before duvets - no cover on it, still had sheets under it.

Yes I remember them, I think you are right, they were the predecessor of the duvet :laughing:

tulip0803
07-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Any luck yet? xx

manjay
07-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Any luck yet? xx

NO!!!!!!

Someone really has it in for me this week. Engineer was booked to arrive between 8 and 6 today. I was getting a bit twitchy about 3 so spent half an hour in their phone queue to be told they had made a mistake when they rebooked yesterday and my job was never passed on to the engineer!!! I am now booked between 8 and 1 tomorrow. Not a happy bunny.

However one of the mum's from playgroup turned up with 3 heaters for me so we are now nice and toasty and I have just had an email to say Uni has postponed the start of term for a week so I now have an extra week to complete my assignments:clapping: . Now all I need is for the children to go back to school tomorrow and I will be sorted:D

tulip0803
07-01-2010, 09:07 PM
NO!!!!!!

Someone really has it in for me this week. Engineer was booked to arrive between 8 and 6 today. I was getting a bit twitchy about 3 so spent half an hour in their phone queue to be told they had made a mistake when they rebooked yesterday and my job was never passed on to the engineer!!! I am now booked between 8 and 1 tomorrow. Not a happy bunny.

However one of the mum's from playgroup turned up with 3 heaters for me so we are now nice and toasty and I have just had an email to say Uni has postponed the start of term for a week so I now have an extra week to complete my assignments:clapping: . Now all I need is for the children to go back to school tomorrow and I will be sorted:D

How annoying of the company - not really as if it is urgent is it:rolleyes:

Glad you are now warm though:)

charleyfarley
07-01-2010, 09:31 PM
No heating tell me about it, I really feel for you Amanda

Damn pipe outside has frozen again :angry: I've cleared it as it happened just before xmas. So there I was pouring hot water, up a ladder, in the snow after mindees had gone, over the frozen pipe. I cleared it but I can't get into the cupboard where the boiler is as Daz's triple wardrobe is in front of it to reset the boiler :angry:
So tonight we have had the fire, jamas and dressing gowns on, oh well I'll save on the heating :laughing:

Carol xx

angeldelight
08-01-2010, 08:23 AM
No heating tell me about it, I really feel for you Amanda

Damn pipe outside has frozen again :angry: I've cleared it as it happened just before xmas. So there I was pouring hot water, up a ladder, in the snow after mindees had gone, over the frozen pipe. I cleared it but I can't get into the cupboard where the boiler is as Daz's triple wardrobe is in front of it to reset the boiler :angry:
So tonight we have had the fire, jamas and dressing gowns on, oh well I'll save on the heating :laughing:

Carol xx

Hope you Carol and Amanda get your heating sorted soon

Angel xx

Graham
08-01-2010, 05:35 PM
When I was a lad we had an outside toilet, you can't imagine how cold that seat was in winter. :panic:

No bathroom, we had to bath in a tin bath that was hung on the wall in the yard until we needed it then it was brought inside in front of the coal fire and filled with hot water heated on the gas stove.

miffy
08-01-2010, 05:38 PM
No bathroom, we had to bath in a tin bath that was hung on the wall in the yard until we needed it then it was brought inside in front of the coal fire and filled with hot water heated on the gas stove.

We had a tin bath - must have left the water in one night because the hamster escaped, fell in the bath and drowned :(

Miffy xx

sweets
08-01-2010, 09:30 PM
i remember my grandma only havin an outside loo! it was sooo old with a wooden seat over a hole. i was terrified of it and always went to the loo before i went and insisted on my dad stopping at the last service station before we got there so i could go again and wouldnt have to use hers.!:laughing: dont know why i found it scary. but can imagine how cold it was in winter:panic:

PixiePetal
08-01-2010, 09:47 PM
My nan only had an outside loo, bloomin freezing in the winter and had to take a torch with you and mum to stand outside the door! :laughing:

We have an outside loo now.................luckily we also have 2 indoors :D It will be handy in the summer for mindees, not having to come indoors for loo - just need to sort out hand washing as there is no basin.

angeldelight
08-01-2010, 10:21 PM
My nan only had an outside loo, bloomin freezing in the winter and had to take a torch with you and mum to stand outside the door! :laughing:

Sounds like the stories my mom told me about her and her mom

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xxxx

angeldelight
09-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Last night on the news they said everyone should try and cut down on their gas now because there is a shortage

Well they have to be kidding its taking our house ages to heat up in the morning so its on extra high and I know everyone else is doing the same

Angel xx

manjay
09-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Yay!!!! I have heat:clapping: Life looks so much rosier this morning:D I have had a good nights sleep, a decent shower and I managed to find a very nice neighbour to lift my gas bottle into place so I can now use my cooker!!!

On the downside it means I have no more excuses to avoid doing my uni assignments.

Thanks to everyone who has listened to me moan this week:thumbsup:

PixiePetal
09-01-2010, 09:48 AM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Glad you are warming up manjay :thumbsup:

manjay
09-01-2010, 09:53 AM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Glad you are warming up manjay :thumbsup:

My bed was a little cold but that is probably due to dh being a couple of hundred miles away! I am secretly wondering if he planned all of this just to make me realise how much I should miss him:rolleyes: