PDA

View Full Version : How to Charge

Pipsqueak
08-03-2008, 07:34 AM
A quick dash in before we set of for the first race of the season so hopefully you guys will be able to advise .....

Had an enquiry for a 6month old

Its 3 days one week
2days the following week (two week rolling pattern so each week will be different days)
9-3 (although as its right on school times I shall have to ask parents to be here half hour earlier/later)

Start end of April

How should I charge. Effectively its taking up a full time space that I won't be able to fill due to the changing days and 2 week pattern
Also do I ask for a deposit (refundable/non refundable??????) pending contracts and the place being taken.

Help please

Hope you are all ok? The other parent I saw last week never got back to me so I assumed (pretty safely lol ) that I didn't get that job!

Best dash - gotta get the racing kit together.. If you are in Doncaster near Armthorpe Race Track just of the M18 on Sunday come down for the day to watch the quad bikes - the first race day of the season is always thrilling!!! My kids and hubby ride number 8 on their bikes in the 50cc, 100cc and Adult Open Championship Classes

Have a great weekend

miffy
08-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Tricky one depends how much you want the work

really you should charge the same each week as you will have to save a place for that child whether they are using it or not but if you want the job the n you could offer half-fee for the day that isn't used every week

I'm not very good at deposits don't usually charge them but if you want to then I'd say it was fefundable if they take up the place but if they didn't you get to keep it

Have a fun weekend

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
08-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Morning Miffy - I do need the work tbh! It is a tough one yes!

sorry, I meant to have posted this in the other members section of fees - durrrr:rolleyes: .

Feel free to move it mods
xxx

miffy
08-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Sometimes with this sort of work it's easier to do a deal as some minders won't touch it

I'd meet them all first and see what you think - if parents have been looking round they will know that the days might be a problem so you might be able to sort something out - just be sure you'll be happy with it

I might also ring the other parents who came to see you to see if they've made a decision (only if you'd like the work) as sometimes they forget to come back to you but assume the place is still there for them

Miffy xx

LittleMissSparkles
08-03-2008, 08:42 AM
I'd be tempted to set a weekly fee that you agree upon so that you dont loose out to much iyswim.

Im 40 minutes away from Doncaster if that Vik ! what time willyou be there from until ???? could have a drive overfor couple of hours to see you if you will notbe too busy with the rally xxxx

deeb66
08-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I have moved this to the fees section for you Vik.

Deposit - I always charge a deposit. Because I have been let down in the past I charge quite a high deposit....it usually depends on hours and time with me etc but is usually at least £200.

Because the deposit is so high I always agree to deduct the monies from the first months fees so it isn't really costing the parent anything in the long run.

In this situation I would probably charge half fee for the third day when it wasn't being used.

As you say you cannot fill the space so they should be paying you something.

Hope you had a good day :)

Lou
08-03-2008, 04:14 PM
If it is taking up a full time space but for only the 2 or 3 days as they will be differnt days (think i have got that right?) i would have to agree with Susan and charge a weekly amount.

I would work out how much a 3 day week would cost them and add a bit more on, or you could charge a higher hourly rate to compensate?

Up to you whatever works best for you, but as has been said, they will struggle to find anyone to do it.

Other thing you could do is say for now you will do it for normal rate but if you get other enquiries you would have to review the contract?

Just trying to think of as many possibilities for you.

Good luck and yes i ALWAYS charge a deposit.

Pipsqueak
10-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies and some good guidance

Can you now tell me if this sounds fair

The hours are 9am till 3pm.
I can't do an exact 9am start so I will have to suggest an 8.30 or 9.30am start and a prompt 3pm finish as I have to leave for school at 10 past at the very latest.

Working out the fees based on an 8.30am start till 3 for 6.5 hours 3 days one week 2 days the following week based on a rolling rota (so the days will be different each week)

£25.00 per day including snacks, drinks, lunch, small outings to shops, toddler groups, drop ins and soft play etc.
on the second week on the "rest" day I will charge half price of £12.50

Does this sound fair (based on the going hourly rate in my area of £3.00ph) so one week will be a full £75.00 and week two will be £62.50.

I shouldn't loose out too much then but I was thinking that due to it be a rolling rota and the days will change from week to week will I end up some weeks with just one day? Hmmm will have to ask.

Should I ask for retainer or deposit as she wants the space for the end of April. Was thinking in the region of £100, deductable over a period of time if she takes up the contract (non deductable if she doesn't). And then how much do you agree to deduct per week - what is fair £10/£20....
And then we will have settling in - do I charge for this or should I ask for a retainer instead of deposit and deduct settling in from this amount and then deduct the rest from fees when she starts.....

Are you still with me cuz I now think I have confuzzled myself!! lol

Sorry Susan I never got chance to reply to your question about the racing!

jo f
10-03-2008, 11:17 AM
I have a mindee who comes for either 2 or 3 days a week, different days each week. Parents were quite willing to pay full time fees- but at the time she started she was my only mindee and I was able to work bank hours at my old job which suited me fine. If she paid me full time I had to be available full time, and I'm a bit soft could't take the money off her.The arrangement I came up with is I charge for three days per week regardless if she i am needed or not. I think its easier for working out holiday fees etc and its a regular income. I have since took on a full timer aswell and I have been turning people away who just need part time because of the commitment I have made- which still suits me actually, I can get out more the days I only have 1 and mine.

The thing you could say is warn them that if more regular work did come up then there is the possibility of you taking that person on instead or charge full time

deeb66
10-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi Vik

Yes I think what you have worked out sounds fair. :thumbsup:

I also think the £100 deposit sounds fair.

Usually to save confusion I deduct the whole amount from the first months fee's but if you are being paid weekly then yes I would deduct £20 - £25 per week as it would work out the same.

Whether or not I charge for a settling in period really depends upon the length of time it is over. If it is for a few hours here and there then I don't bother but if parents want an extended settling in or if the child needs extra then I do charge my normal hourly rate.

Good luck

Pipsqueak
10-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Well after all that she rung (at least she did!) to say that she had already chosen a minder.

Oh well... there has got to be something round the corner!

Thank you guys

angeldelight
10-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Just catching up Vik

How annoying for you

Hope you get someone with less complication next time haha

Angel xx

deeb66
17-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Sorry Vik

I have only just seen your reply

What a bummer!

Hopefully the phone will ring again soon.