PDA

View Full Version : B and Q are having a laugh!!!!

sweets
01-01-2010, 04:18 PM
:eek:

ive just been to price up having a new kichen fitted. my kitchen is teny tiny and wanted to make better use of the space. i chose their basic model kitchen with laminate worktop. all the cupboards, new sink and hob came to £1500 and then they wanted £3500 to fit it:eek: :eek:

Nearly fell off my chair! think i will be doing a bit of shopping around:rolleyes:

Hebs
01-01-2010, 04:20 PM
i fitted my kitchen myself :thumbsup:

bought the units and bench and built it myself with my mum "supervising" and help from my step dad :D

only paid a gas fitter to fit the cooker, and paid a tiler £50 to put the tiles up :clapping:

Tink
01-01-2010, 04:25 PM

bought the units and bench and built it myself with my mum "supervising" and help from my step dad :D

only paid a gas fitter to fit the cooker, and paid a tiler £50 to put the tiles up :clapping:

Oooh look at you smarty pants:laughing:

Heaven Scent
01-01-2010, 04:28 PM

OMW - clever you - photos please!!!!!

FizzysFriends
01-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I did mine too, my dad cut the worktops for me though but I did the tiling.

Hebs
01-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I did mine too, my dad cut the worktops for me though but I did the tiling.

it's not THAT hard is it :clapping:

makes you wonder why they want so much for doing it :laughing:

sweets
01-01-2010, 04:49 PM
i am quite handy and will do alot of things myself like putting shelves up etc, but dont think i would tackle a kitchen on my own. they wanted £460 to fit a new cooker switch. when i told him i already had one he said that due to new electricity regulations they have to put new ones in, but good grief surely i cant take so long that it warrants charging £460 for it!

they also wanted £200 to plumb my excisting washing machine in:eek: which i originally did myself, takes 2 mins to connect the pipes.:eek:

Hebs
01-01-2010, 04:53 PM
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/hebs_1978/Picture025.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/hebs_1978/kitchen2.jpg

LOOPYLISA
01-01-2010, 05:15 PM
i am quite handy and will do alot of things myself like putting shelves up etc, but dont think i would tackle a kitchen on my own. they wanted £460 to fit a new cooker switch. when i told him i already had one he said that due to new electricity regulations they have to put new ones in, but good grief surely i cant take so long that it warrants charging £460 for it!

they also wanted £200 to plumb my excisting washing machine in:eek: which i originally did myself, takes 2 mins to connect the pipes.:eek:

:eek: How much to plumb a w machine in,:eek: hubs is a plumber, you should be looking at £60-80 :thumbsup:

Annie_T
01-01-2010, 05:33 PM
my fella is a plumber which is great as he done my washing machine, fridge (american one) and cooker

tho when the council did the kitchen the rules are cooker must have a chain on the back to stop it falling over if pulled at front - the chain was too long so fella cut it for me

your better off going to a trdae kitchen place direct and asking a local business man/lady to fit it - get quotes first

sweets
01-01-2010, 05:36 PM
i just booked online for a free design visit from moben, i had literaly pressed send when 30 secs later the phone went and it was them! they are coming sunday aft. will get a quote from them to compare then will look at having one fitted independantly by a joiner.

Heaven Scent
01-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Wow Hebs that is fab - I tend to be the one to do all the painting etc round here and I assemble flat pack furniture etc but I wouldn't have the patience for levelling out cupboards etc and then I can never cut a straight line so i'd never undertake to cut a worktop I'd be bankrupt buying replacements to get it right. Plus the thought of tile cutting has the same affect on me as the thought of doing somthing new on a computer - its terrible.

Hebs
01-01-2010, 07:24 PM
:laughing:

i paid to have the tiles put on :clapping:

nannymcflea
01-01-2010, 09:38 PM
You are a bit handy Hebs, good for you girl.:clapping:

Hebs
01-01-2010, 11:04 PM
You are a bit handy Hebs, good for you girl.:clapping:

in the words of alexandra burke

anything a guy can do i can do better, i can even do it better in broken heels :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

seriously tho, my ex was a waste of space with things like that, if i wanted anything done i had to do it myself, i even built my garden shed (with help from my mum and melissa :thumbsup: )

charleyfarley
01-01-2010, 11:51 PM
We had ours off B&Q but NOWAY would we get them to fit it, fitting was more than the kitchen itself.

Hebs, well done fitting your kitchen yourself :clapping: :clapping: I've done alsorts too but never done a kitchen so good on ya :thumbsup:

Carol xx

margimum
02-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Sweets, we had Moben come to give us a quote several years ago and that man was PERSISTANT!!!
He skirted round giving us an actual price until we'd chosen every last item and when we said we'd think about it and get back to him got a bit stroppy!!
Eventually had to demand he leave our house after about 6 hours:angry: :angry:
The price was also at least double what we eventually paid to a local firm!

beccas
02-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Me and my hubby also fitted ours ourselves its not too hard at all we did ours in march last year. we got ours from b&q we looked around and they were the cheapest,hth

we chose the walnut cupboards they are flat with no groves and black slate effect worktops also got a sink and extractor fan cost £1295.:clapping:

heres some pics (ignore mess my eldest in middle of washing pots didnt want to be in pic)

sweets
02-01-2010, 04:43 PM
very nice beccas. its not the fitting of cupboards that is putting me off doing it myself its the plumbing side of it and i want the worktop fitting so there are no joining strips.

ive cancelled moben as remebered my mum and dad had them a few years ago to do theirs, it was very exp and they didnt do a brill job of it and it was a nightmare getting them back to put things right.

ive just had a look at my kitchen and ive decided to keep the excisting cupboards and just buy new doors and handles which i can put on myself then get a joiner round to fit a new worktop. will prob get the tiling done too.

FizzysFriends
02-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I got my kitchen from. Ikea

sweets
09-01-2010, 09:39 AM
remembered last week that one of my mindees dads is a joiner. i mentioned it to him and he is going to fit my new cupboard doors, new sink and worktop and tile over the existing tiles that are there as it pointless hacking them all off when they provide a good base to tile over.

he is going to do it all for £400! brill.

i just need to order the stuff and beg a friend who is a childminder that has a massive playroom and lives up the road. if me and the children can camp out at her house for a couple of days! should take 3 days max.

would i need to inform ofsted of this?

TheBTeam
09-01-2010, 05:53 PM
I didn't notify ofsted when i had my kitchen done, i made sure that i didn't leave the children alone with the workmen, we just stayed in our living room and set up our dining room table with stuff to keep out the way of the workmen.

solly
09-01-2010, 09:57 PM
We got ours from Homebase and got a friend to help my DH do it, have just ordered another kitchen from homebase as have got a good sale on at the moment, we have inherited my BIL's house so are gutting it then doing it up to sell

nannymcflea
09-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I just did a RA to make sure I knew what dangers were involved, then carried on as sort of normal!
:thumbsup: