PDA

View Full Version : winter baking ideas

mushpea
30-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi does anyone have any ideas of what baking we could do that is realted to winter?

beccas
30-12-2009, 01:00 PM
mmmmmm baking lots of it then eat it all... lol any baking recipies can be made into winter, winter shaped bisuits, snowball buns (white choc and rice crispies).

Tink
30-12-2009, 01:51 PM
What are the buns that are called snowballs? Funnily enough they're round with coconut on I think DH mentioned them the other day but I hate coconut.

beccas
30-12-2009, 03:03 PM
i called snowballs white rice crispie buns kids love them. dont know about coconut i hate it yuk....

PixiePetal
30-12-2009, 03:33 PM
oooh ! I love those coconut snowballs. Soggy marshmallow middle stuff, covered in choc and then coconut - yummy!!

mushpea
30-12-2009, 03:38 PM
mmmmmm baking lots of it then eat it all... lol any baking recipies can be made into winter, winter shaped bisuits, snowball buns (white choc and rice crispies).

mmmm great idea making and baking all day:D , yum,, love the snowball idea,

grindal
30-12-2009, 03:43 PM
We did Jacket Potato mice the other day - DS saw them on TV. Mix half a JP middle with some cheese and grill it, then decorate with rasins as eyes and nose, celery slice as mouth and chives as whiskers and tail. We also make loads of soups in the winter. Mindees love to help cut and taste raw veg.

sarah707
30-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Vegetable soup is always popular here - we make it with different veggies and try to taste the difference :D

LOOPYLISA
30-12-2009, 04:52 PM
oooh ! I love those coconut snowballs. Soggy marshmallow middle stuff, covered in choc and then coconut - yummy!!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :thumbsup:

Chell
30-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Vegetable soup is always popular here - we make it with different veggies and try to taste the difference :D

Mmmmmmm, leek and potato soup is lovely and wintery.

Not wintery as such but burns night is coming up (25th Jan), so you could do haggis, tatties and neeps.

Chell
30-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Try the cBeebies website as Big Cook, Little cook made meringue snowmen.

beccas
30-12-2009, 06:44 PM
we do lots of soups and pies the older ones love making little pies and pasties.
I have a allotment so it helps with cost of veg as we go and dig some up the kids really enjoy it they even collect the fresh eggs for baking as well ( i have ducks and chickens)

mushpea
31-12-2009, 09:48 AM
we do lots of soups and pies the older ones love making little pies and pasties.
I have a allotment so it helps with cost of veg as we go and dig some up the kids really enjoy it they even collect the fresh eggs for baking as well ( i have ducks and chickens)

oohhhh we have our name down for an allotment, the council are building some more so hope to have one in the new year, I want to take the minded children there so they can grow stuff then eat it too, do your chickens live at your allotment or at home?? i have always wanted to have chickens but the OH says no cause they will muck up his lawn, do you think they could live on a concrete base?

beccas
31-12-2009, 12:29 PM
mine are at my allotment... my dad bulit there cages from old wood and chicken wire they live on soft ground dont know about concrete??? we buy our eggs on ebay and hatch them as well wich the kids love (my dad a science teacher so has incubators.. just got 12 chicken eggs and 12 duck eggs at xmas will post pictures when they hatch.

solly
31-12-2009, 02:35 PM
I got an idea off here and thought it was great
Marshmellow snowmen. Get two marshmellows and put them on a pretzel stick
then use another pretzel stick for the arms and raisins for the eyes & nose & buttons.

It was easy to do especially with the little ones and they had fun and the best thing of all it was not messy.

beccas
31-12-2009, 03:30 PM
just discovered this
Sugar plum fairies
360g white choc chopped
50g rice crispies
40g shredded coconut
50g mini marshmallows
75g chopped dried apricots
non stick baking paper

melt choc sitr in rice crispies, coconut, marshmallows and apricots mix well to combine.
spoon 2 tablesoonfulls on to a squareof baking paper bring corners together tie with string place in fridge to set.

to make fairy wings fold a square of paper into a concertina pleats (like a fan) tie in the middle with ribbon fan out edges on each side, attached to the ball when set.

hth