PDA

View Full Version : TAKING THE TREE DOWN ?

angeldelight
30-12-2009, 11:48 AM
So when are you all taking your tree down?

Is it doing your head in now ? We all get soooooo excited when its time to put it up then we cant wait to put it away

Angel xxx

Mouse
30-12-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm clearing away all the decorations today & will leave the tree until New Years day.

I'm also spending this afternoon getting my kids to move all their presents up to the bedrooms. Will be nice to have a bit of space back...before all the childminding stuff comes out again :rolleyes:

cabby
30-12-2009, 11:55 AM
friday:clapping: :clapping: cant wait its doing my head in now

we always have a new years eve party at home so leave it up for that, then first thing friday morning the tree, all the decs and outside lights come down:clapping:

Twinkles
30-12-2009, 12:04 PM
My decision was made for me yesterday. The tree came crashing down - pine needles and ornaments everywhere !! :panic:

( half an hour before someone came to sign their child up for minding ! )

It left the tree completely bald ! So that's that job done :cool:

I usually keep all my Christmas decs up till Jan 6th so I will take down the outside lights at the weekend but leave the other decs till the 6th.

Annie_T
30-12-2009, 12:05 PM
mine will come down tomorrow as end of the month - mine go up 1st dec (normally) then down last day of december x

littlesprogs
30-12-2009, 12:07 PM
we took ours down last night to make room for the exercise bike. All the other decs are still up but will be down before hubby goes back to work on the 4th.

sue m
30-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I've taken the cards down and put the ornaments away but will leave the tree till new years day I think. I just love sitting with it lit up at night. :o

Hebs
30-12-2009, 12:15 PM
took cards down on boxing day, tree coming down tonight :clapping:

ajs
30-12-2009, 12:21 PM
mine will be new years day too
having a party new years eve so will be nice to keep it up intil then

it is a tree in a pot so hopefully i will be able to use it again next year

nannysue
30-12-2009, 12:21 PM
I take everything down on New Years day , then the house has a real good clean and its all nice and tidy ( and roomy !!!!!) for the start of the year .

LOOPYLISA
30-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Sat or sun, whenever hubs can help get a 6ft tree to the tip :laughing:

30-12-2009, 12:29 PM
we will probably do the same nannysue :). Must admit I'm looking forward to taking it down and having a good tidy up. If I wasn't minding today I would have probably done it today

FizzysFriends
30-12-2009, 12:40 PM
I've done everything but the tree already! Tree will come down Friday Or whatever day the council are collecting them if sooner

kindredspirits
30-12-2009, 12:52 PM
we took our lights down christmas day and the tree came down boxing day - its all gone in the bin as we're not doing xmas decs next year :thumbsup:

little miss chatterbox
30-12-2009, 01:09 PM
mine came down on monday!!!! sooooooo had enough of it by then!

daisyboo1980
30-12-2009, 01:15 PM
new years day cant come soon enough for me

Tink
30-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I couldn't wait to put it up and now I can't wait to take it down.
I've taken the trimmings down and the cards but am waiting till new years day to take it down, I can't wait.

maisiemog
30-12-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm obviously a bit of a bah humbug because all traces of christmas have gone from our house. Got sick of dd pulling the tree down so got rid of it yesterday!!! My front room looks so big again!!!!!

Heaven Scent
30-12-2009, 02:02 PM
You see this is what happens you all put it up way too early so now you are sick of it and need it down before the season is over - Christmas lasts till at least 6th Jan. See if you were like me you would put it up in the week or so before Christmas and would be able to put up with it all right up till 6th - you know the 12 days of Christmas and all that. We give gifts because of the wise kings and they gave theirs on 6th Jan.

Now that I have given that lecture again I will get down off my soap box and kick it into the corner for later!!!

By the way mine will probably all come down gradually in the run up to the week-end after 6th as is tradition where I come from so that it will all be banished to the loft on Sat or Sun of that week-end.

Hey I can make all of your blood run cold here and tell you that I remember that after the Christmas of 1998 my mother still had her chains up in the dining room way into Feb. Noone could be bothered to take them down - and my Dad was busy out working till all hours saving up for my sisters wedding (she got engaged at Christmas to a guy she met the previous Easter - she was only 21 and they are now 30 years married!!!!)

Anyhow my now BIL obliged my mother by taking the decs down and as he stood down from the chair (that he was using to reach the ceiling) he accidently stood on the back of my older sisters little poodles back and had to rush it off to the Vet. Poor doggie never got over it and had a stroke not long after that and ended up in the great kennel in the sky!!!!

I also have a friend who is Irish and lives in this famous town of mine who left a tree up until easter one year. - OH NO I hear you say as you all rush off for Therapy - the phone lines to the psycs of britian will be hot right now!!!

christine e
30-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Keep up for the full 12 days of Christmas too!

Cx

Heaven Scent
30-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Keep up for the full 12 days of Christmas too!

Cx

Hurray !!!!!!!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Pauline
30-12-2009, 03:04 PM
New Years day for me too :)

wendywu
30-12-2009, 03:10 PM
I was just going to ask when the 12 days of christmas ended.:)

PixiePetal
30-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Anytime before Monday and mindees starting back. Need to do it when DH is about to get the boxes from the loft and get the high up bits down. Quite like the micro white lights on the stairs so might leave them :D

LOOPYLISA
30-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Anytime before Monday and mindees starting back. Need to do it when DH is about to get the boxes from the loft and get the high up bits down. Quite like the micro white lights on the stairs so might leave them :D

Dd asked if we can leave some of the lights up :rolleyes:

Hebs
30-12-2009, 03:31 PM
my tree is down :clapping:

just getting downstairs tidy ready for mindees in the morning, then at weekend i can gut the bedrooms and start packing :clapping:

Heaven Scent
30-12-2009, 03:38 PM
I was just going to ask when the 12 days of christmas ended.:)

6th Jan or do you know that now cause you said "I was going to ask..."

sarah707
30-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Everything has come down here and the house has been cleaned and scrubbed today!

I like welcoming the new year with it all done :D

julie w
30-12-2009, 03:48 PM
I leave them up as long as I can. I read they should be taken down on the 5th or you must leave them up all year! I love them .

grindal
30-12-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm with Heaven Scent - we did not get our tree till 20th Dec and put it up on 21st. It has not been up long enough for us to get bored or annoyed with it yet - but it will have to come down before Monday as I do not trust 11 month old mindee not to pull it apart. Otherwise I would leave it up till 12th night. when we were kids we never put the tree up till christmas eve and never took it down till 12th night.

Twinkles
30-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I've always taken the decs down on Jan 6th as did my parents. I never knew why but having been educated by the lovely Heaven Scent I will pass on this knowledge to my children with the solemnity that it deserves :D

Heaven Scent
30-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I've always taken the decs down on Jan 6th as did my parents. I never knew why but having been educated by the lovely Heaven Scent I will pass on this knowledge to my children with the solemnity that it deserves :D

Well at least someone has the good grace to take what I say on board - thank you - now next year please lets not have anymore of that premature stuff - now I want you all to add this to your New Years Resolutions and as its not one you can break by 2nd Jan as it doesn't apply until Dec. All you all need to do now is take out your 2010 diaries and make a note in every day in the first 2 weeks of Dec Do not put the Christmas tree up today then the excitement will build and build throughout those first two weeks in Dec. Just imagine how you can pass all those houses who have put their trees up too early and think smugly to yourselves what loosers they are because you will survive the whole season of Christmas with your tree still in tact. Wow I can't wait for all your threads - If you find it hard to resist and feel in the need of support then feel free to PM me I'm only a few words away!!!!:littleangel: :littleangel: :littleangel:

angeldelight
30-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Blimey Celine you are scary ha ha ha

I am shaking here :laughing:

Is it ok miss because I put my tree up a week before christmas and its going down on Sunday - I know its not the 6th of Jan but I hope it meets with your approval - please say it does :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xxx

ORKSIE
30-12-2009, 06:16 PM
I am taking mine down at the weekend...LOL @ Celine, I put mine up the week b4 Christmas and they are doing my head in! :laughing:

Twinkles
30-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Orksiepie !!! You're you again :clapping:

LOOPYLISA
30-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Ours went up 5th dec and will take down this weekend :thumbsup:

ORKSIE
30-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Orksiepie !!! You're you again :clapping:

And so I am:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup:

miss mopple
30-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Mine all came down and went away yesterday. If Id had my way they would have gone on boxing day :laughing:

Pauline
30-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Heaven Scent - I'm going to save this thread till next year. I really think we need to see just who obeyed you :laughing:

Orksie - good to see the real you back again :D

ORKSIE
30-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Orksie - good to see the real you back again :D

:thumbsup: Boss!

singingcactus
30-12-2009, 07:28 PM
We put ours up on the 21st and it came down on Boxing day - is that okay with y'all! lol.

Amaranth
30-12-2009, 07:37 PM
We put ours up the first weekend of December and take it down usually on or around new years day. It is dh's birthday on 5th January so we like to have christmas totally packed away before then.

TheBTeam
30-12-2009, 07:42 PM
We took our tree down on tuesday, needed the space to put the footstool from the new sofa! We took the extra cuddly bits and ornamental bits down this morning. We are getting earlier taking them down, they'll be down before they go up soon!

Although we bought a decoration to remember mil cos she died just before last christmas so we will have to keep putting the tree up.

breezy
30-12-2009, 07:44 PM
All gone !!!!!!!!!!! We clear the house ready for dd's birthday tomorrow when it'll be covered in ballooons, banners and birthday cards :clapping:

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
30-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Tree and decs have been put down and away today so I can get tidered up as I was getting fed up with them. Just got all the outside ones today but it was raining today so hubby couldn't do those.

xxxx

Chatterbox Childcare
30-12-2009, 09:58 PM
I took all my decorations down from my kitchen as we are having a party and they will be in the way but all my lounge ones and tree will be back in the loft on Saturday.

sweets
30-12-2009, 10:01 PM
mines coming down in the morn, was going to do it today but didnt have time. i always think that trees and decs look a bit sad after boxing day. going to have a really good clean and hoover tommorrow. how sad is it that i am really looking foward to it? lol

Heaven Scent
30-12-2009, 10:48 PM
:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: OMW I'm speechless - I just cant believe you lot - Well I can udnerstand my Jewish friend Ajs as she is still waiting for the messiah and as such for her the wise kings haven't yet made their visit with the gifts - Have they Amanda.

But I've got bad news for her when the messiah does come and all the jews fly into the Holy Land on the wings of an eagle - I'll be on one of those wings waving and shouting a friendly "Yooo Hooo" in her direction because when I was teaching in the orthodox jewish school in London the boys said because I was a good goy (gentile) I would be allowed on. So I have a double insurance as it were - now all I have to do is prove my worth amongst the Hindus, Muslims, Buddists, Pagans .................... and then everything will be fine for me and I won't go burning in the fires of hell with auld nick - I'll be floating around on fluffy clouds playing harps and eating Philadelphia cheese and cherry tomatoes.

nannymcflea
30-12-2009, 10:57 PM
:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: OMW I'm speechless - I just cant believe you lot - Well I can udnerstand my Jewish friend Ajs as she is still waiting for the messiah and as such for her the wise kings haven't yet made their visit with the gifts - Have they Amanda.

But I've got bad news for her when the messiah does come and all the jews fly into the Holy Land on the wings of an eagle - I'll be on one of those wings waving and shouting a friendly "Yooo Hooo" in her direction because when I was teaching in the orthodox jewish school in London the boys said because I was a good goy (gentile) I would be allowed on. So I have a double insurance as it were - now all I have to do is prove my worth amongst the Hindus, Muslims, Buddists, Pagans .................... and then everything will be fine for me and I won't go burning in the fires of hell with auld nick - I'll be floating around on fluffy clouds playing harps and eating Philadelphia cheese and cherry tomatoes.

My wise men have not yet reached the stable, they are slowly making their way, day by day...although they do not have their epiphany until the 6th thats when they reach the stable here....must have been a short journey!

Did you know (I'm sure you do heaven scent) that there is no actual facts to say "3 wise men", it just says "wise men bearing gifts of....

so although the decs come down here, the nativity stays until the 6th so the wise men can reach their target!:D

Twinkles
30-12-2009, 11:09 PM

Is this the same Jewish friend who's having a HOG roast :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I'm beginning to think she just doesn't take it seriously :D

Heaven Scent
30-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Is this the same Jewish friend who's having a HOG roast :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I'm beginning to think she just doesn't take it seriously :D

Yip thats the one!!!!!!

Heaven Scent
30-12-2009, 11:55 PM
My wise men have not yet reached the stable, they are slowly making their way, day by day...although they do not have their epiphany until the 6th thats when they reach the stable here....must have been a short journey!

Did you know (I'm sure you do heaven scent) that there is no actual facts to say "3 wise men", it just says "wise men bearing gifts of....

so although the decs come down here, the nativity stays until the 6th so the wise men can reach their target!:D

Ok I'll let you away with that one I'll take photos of my 3 Cribs (as we call them in Ireland) on 6th although only 1 came with wise men - the other 2 are cheapie ones that I put in the childrens bedrooms when they were little - now they have grown up I have one in the hall and the other in the kitchen - I also have a tea light holder in the shape of the Holy Family.

I've actually been taking photos of my trees and decs to post on here - i know how to bore people senseless!!!!!!!

Twinkles
31-12-2009, 12:06 AM
i know how to bore people senseless!!!!!!!

No not boring ! I love to see other peoples pics - nosey that's me :thumbsup:

ajs
31-12-2009, 08:36 AM

lol celine

i was reading through this thread to get to the end so i could remind you

ok although we are Jewish we still celebrate Christmas but not for the religious side of it but for the fact we get presents and have lots to eat ( see i knew being Jewish would be of use).
we don't celebrate anything in our own religion either, in fact we had to google something when my vicar friend asked me what a Jewish feast was called.

you know far more about my religion then i do c, as does sarah nev, and probably many others too.
puts me to shame really

although i do know the messiah has yet to visit

ajs
31-12-2009, 08:42 AM

lol
you see i told you, i don't celebrate any religion my own included

i for one think the Jewish dietary laws are ridiculous, they are from BC and bear no standing these days what with fridges and hot water.
many of the dietary laws, were set because then animals like pigs were considered dirty as they rolled in their own excrement and prawns as they ate from the bottom of the sea.

Heaven Scent
31-12-2009, 10:17 AM
lol
you see i told you, i don't celebrate any religion my own included

i for one think the Jewish dietary laws are ridiculous, they are from BC and bear no standing these days what with fridges and hot water.
many of the dietary laws, were set because then animals like pigs were considered dirty as they rolled in their own excrement and prawns as they ate from the bottom of the sea.

Its like all other religions which originate in hot countries where head wear is an integral part of the religion - its because people wore it to protect themselves from the sun originally and somehow it got wrapped up in the relgion/culture. We catholics had a hang over from this until the early 70's - I love tradtion but hate extremism -

I still think you should keep the Sabbath and lord it over your family doing all the candle stuff and singing (howling) stuff to your kids - with the chicken soup simmering on the stove and the hot water urn bubbling away in the kitchen - imagine for a full 24hrs you wouldn't have to wait for the kettle to boil when you wanted a brew. And you could be so lazy - you could stop work at mid-day on friday in the winter and not lift a finger until midday the next day not even flick a light switch. Another plus is you wouldn't have to act as taxi to you kids on a Friday night either.:clapping: :clapping:

oh yes and you and David could have separate beds and you would only have to give in to his whims once he threw his hat to you if you choose to throw it back. The only horrible bit would be going to the shul to have your bath when your monthly friend arrived. - And you couldn't worm into his bed to snuggle up and keep warm in the winter at that time. See pros and cons to everything.

singingcactus
31-12-2009, 01:57 PM

Erm...what?? What do wise men, and a baby in a stable have to do with Santa and baubles and Tinsel? Sorry but I am afraid no one who was born before common era will dictate when I take down my plastic christmas tree and bright yellow and pink fairy :laughing: :laughing:
As for going to heaven because I keep my decs up till a certain day in January, well I'd miss my friends too much if I went there (and I'd have to put up with my mother for ALL eternity and that is in no way heaven!!).

Hebs
31-12-2009, 02:05 PM
As for going to heaven because I keep my decs up till a certain day in January, well I'd miss my friends too much if I went there (and I'd have to put up with my mother for ALL eternity and that is in no way heaven!!).

:laughing: :laughing:

yeah me too my friends wont be in heaven either :laughing: hmmmmm but then again nor will my mother

i'd better start and behave :littleangel: :laughing:

solly
31-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Ours will be put away sunday as its the only day i will really have time. I am hunting tomorrow then my DH is at football on saturday and i will be down at the yard with my horse.

Heaven Scent
31-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Erm...what?? What do wise men, and a baby in a stable have to do with Santa and baubles and Tinsel? Sorry but I am afraid no one who was born before common era will dictate when I take down my plastic christmas tree and bright yellow and pink fairy :laughing: :laughing:

If I were you I wouldn't consider where your particular mother goes to be heaven by the sounds of it - you see I feel the same way about mine so In my mind heaven is fun and relaxing where you mix with like minded people who are basically good and kind and human and in no way perfect.

But when it comes to the wise men and the baby in the stable - that is actually where Christmas came from the hint is in the name "Christ" so you see it does have something to do with it the trees were added later and originally had do do with Pagan festivals that fell at the same time i'm not well versed enough to about them to go into it but there are experts on here who i am sure would gladly point you in the right direction - you see its all about festivals of light in the winter and it just so happens that different religions celebrate them in different ways - Christians have Christmas - because of the birth of Christ. The problem is that the Commercial side has taken over and the build up to Christmas seems to be more important than the actual 12 days - whereas other religions have not allowed commercialism to take over and so celebrate their festivals on the traditional days. Having been brought up in Ireland I find it hard to adapt to this and to the pressure of getting your decs up and down again as early as possible.

singingcactus
31-12-2009, 03:39 PM
I am not a christian so christmas to me has nothing to do with that religion. I am pagan though and the christmas that I celebrate is the commercial christmas - hence small c not not upper case C. The yule-tide that I celebrate with my family during winter is not related to my fairy, tinsel or plastic tree so I put the commercial decs up when I feel like it (usually a day or two before we open our presents which we place around the tree) and take them down at a similar opportunity (a day or two after the presents have been opened as it serves no purpose after that). This is not something that anyone else needs to adapt to this is simply the way me and mine enjoy our christmas holidays. Easter is the same in this house too, we eat our chocolate eggs and keep an eye out for the easter bunny but do not consider it linked to the death of this same baby some 30 years after his birth. It is called christmas, and I realise that when the church chose to have it occur over the indigenous celebration of yule tide that it was intended to be about the baby christ, but in this modern world not everyone believes in the christian faith and we are no longer burned at the stake for our beleifs so it is okay to take the christ out of christmas but still enjoy the santa and the shiny lights part of it.
My mother intends to go to the christian heaven btw :) she is a minister and I think she might be offended if the doorman turns her away.

madasahatter
31-12-2009, 04:32 PM
OUr tree went up on the 12th and came down this morning. We always pack away the Xmas decs before DS's Birthday on the 2nd. We used to replace them with birthday banners and balloons but he thinks he's too old for them now:rolleyes:

jelly15
31-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Keep the tree and decs up for New Years Day, so they will come down on Saturday.

LOOPYLISA
31-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Keep the tree and decs up for New Years Day, so they will come down on Saturday.

Snap :thumbsup:

peanuts
01-01-2010, 02:50 PM
took everything down today, mum and dad coming for meal about 6is tonight. cant beleive that i remembered everything to put away.

zillervalley
01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I always take them down for the mindees coming back so sometimes it cant be the 1st january after lunch.

since its a weekend i am taking the tree down on sunday, cards and navtivity is down and put away

Tink
01-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Woo Hoo took my tree down this morning:clapping:
I think me and DH must have had something last night, we got up, took tree and decorations down, cleaned fishtank, hoovered car, cleaned all the house!!!
My goodness today has flown

Heaven Scent
01-01-2010, 03:08 PM
i think Heaven is what and where you want it to be if you want to believe in it so I'm sure she won't be turned away from her idea of it - likewise neither will you!!! Not even for taking your Christmas tree down or eating your easter eggs when and how you feel like it. I was not preaching really just putting the cat amongst the pigeons that's all.

An with regard to capital letters - I use them because I was brought up to do so like wise having been brought up as a Catholic I always bow my head when I say the word Jesus and I never think about it until another minder who was brought up as a Catholic pointed out to me that when singing "Away in a Manger" at a Christmas Celebration with the minded children we were the only 2 who did it - it was merely and observation on her part she wondered if others would think it strange.

My Mother is what she considers to be a very devout Catholic who respects the word of the priest above all and goes to Mass regularly (Daily if possible) etc etc. She is so HOLY that she says her prayers at Mass louder and one word ahead of everyone else. However, her Christian ways do not extend to her treatment of her children and their families - so as far as I'm concerned she can pop along to her heaven for people who pray loudly and never ever join me in mine - i'm sure I'll get there because I've strived to be a good person and to enjoy the life God gave me I don't think I can do anything more than that. A lot of Religions are based on Tradions and vice versa plus a lot of religious beliefs are interlinked so have similar traditions and I just love traditions so that's where my views are coming from.