PDA

View Full Version : Oven broke!!!!!

christine e
25-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Just opened the oven door to check on turkey and something didn't feel quite right - blowing cold air out! Fortunately turkey not too big and have managed to just about get it in top oven. Looks like dinner is going to be late as all the extra bits and bobs are not going to get in as well. Getting George Foreman out for the pigs in blankets though.

Dyson broke yesterday! Kettle broke Sunday!

Merry Christmas everybody!!!!!!

Cx

amirose
25-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Oh no!!!!!

If it makes you feel any less alone my car blew up yesterday :panic:

christine e
25-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Oh no!!!!!

If it makes you feel any less alone my car blew up yesterday :panic:

Oh dear - what a pair we are. Felt like crying :panic: but now feel like laughing!:laughing:

Hope you get your car sorted

Cx

mummyroysof3
25-12-2009, 07:46 PM
our washer is broke and we just discovered lots of damp in our living room and our toilet broke last week:censored:

madasahatter
25-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Hope it cooked ok. If I'd been on the forum this morning I would have asked if you had a gas barbecue as one of the tv chefs was recommending using them for the turkey if you were short on oven space.
Before you spend a fortune getting someone in to fix your oven it is almost certainly the element that has blown (as the fan is still working blowing cold air around)...could cost £80+ to get an engineer but only costs around £20 to buy one and fix yourself, it is very easy to do as I've done it myself..try googling or searching on youtube on replacing an oven element. What I had to do was disconnect the power (I turned it off at the switch and pulled the fuse on the fuse box to make sure), remove a few screws at the back of the oven to take off the back plate and expose the element and fan. The element was circular shape around the fan and it simply plugged in via a specially shaped connector, with a few screws to hold it in place. Took about 10 mins to fix.

My washer broke on Sunday, thankfully the local man could come out tuesday morning and fix it (it was only the carbon brushes so not very expensive but I wish I knew how to fix that one myself) however after ploughing through the backlog of washing it ended yesterday sounding like a bunch of marbles were in there too, so I'll proably have to call him back to remove whatever is stuck between the drum and it's casing.

ORKSIE
25-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Hope your meal was cooked ok in the end:)
Merry Christmas XXXXXXXXXXXX

louise
25-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Oh no. Our oven went today. Hubbie got the starters out put the potatoes back in shut the door and the inner glass just shattered. Glass went everywhere. Just searching for the part but i dont know which one as the last digit has gone so need to phone to find out. should be between 20-50.

Annie_T
25-12-2009, 09:54 PM
oh bummer

not good when things like that happen - house insurance or product insurance (i norm take out on cooker. fridge, washing machine only) in call now then x

Cazz
26-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Oh no - hope you had a good lunch in the end.

My dishwasher broke - wouldn't normally mind but it was after I had loaded it with all the Christmas lunch things :rolleyes: The door won't stay shut so the cycle won't run - we managed to get some bungy rope and fix it to the handle and the gate in the kitchen so it would stay closed and keep running as a temporary measure! One thing I look forward to on Christmas Day is no washing up!!

christine e
26-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks everyone. Dinner was served a little later than planned but that didn't matter. Thanks for advice from Madasahatter.

Have a good day everyone - I'm off to my sister's for dinner today!

Cx

manjay
26-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Glad you managed to get your lunch in the end Christine. What a day for that to happen!

Haven't had anything break here but dh came home from working away with about 5 loads of washing. Somehow (don't ask me how) he managed to leave a permanent marker in his pocket and the inside of my tumble drier looks like it has been attacked by a child. Serves him right as he now has a full set of spotty clothes to wear for work:D

ajs
26-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Glad you managed to get your lunch in the end Christine. What a day for that to happen!

Haven't had anything break here but dh came home from working away with about 5 loads of washing. Somehow (don't ask me how) he managed to leave a permanent marker in his pocket and the inside of my tumble drier looks like it has been attacked by a child. Serves him right as he now has a full set of spotty clothes to wear for work:D

lol amanda. hat's the sort of thing that usually happens to us,
glad you had a back up oven christine, i don't if mine had gone we'd have been hungry

christine e
26-12-2009, 10:11 AM
lol amanda. hat's the sort of thing that usually happens to us,
glad you had a back up oven christine, i don't if mine had gone we'd have been hungry

The top oven is much smaller so it was a bit of a squeeze. We are laughing about it now but felt like crying at the time!:laughing:

Have a good boxing day Mandy

Cx

caz3007
26-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Ok it wasnt xmas, but my oven went and we didnt have any money for a while to replace. I managed to feed us and all my mindies using my small oven we use for camping and our George Foreman. We did have sausages and spag bol every week, but hey they were fed a meal and thats what mattered.

Hope all of you with breakdowns manage to get them fixed

TheBTeam
26-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Just catching up with this, sorry to hear of all the breakdowns!