PDA

View Full Version : On-line back ups - which one??

Amaranth
23-12-2009, 09:18 PM
At the moment I back up all my files from my laptop, onto an external hard drive but I have been looking into paying for one of the ones on-line that does it automatically in the background as you work.

Does anyone else use this type of back up and if so which one? I am soooo confused by all the different ones! :laughing:

Pauline
23-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Can't advise as I don't use them.

My thoughts are that I would rather be in control of my own back ups. If the place you have them stored suddenly goes out of business, you can say goodbye to your work. :(

At least on a separate hard drive you can keep it safe. We even take ours away with us just in case we get burgled while on holiday :laughing:

ajs
23-12-2009, 10:35 PM
hubby uses elephant and i use dell online
i agree wit pauline though using an online one does leave you a little vunerable if the business or back up fails

sarah707
23-12-2009, 10:41 PM
I use Sky Drive which works through my hotmail account.

I upload new files every week and any I've changed.

It's just one of the ways I secure my work.

I also have a series of pen drives and a big hard drive that is locked away every night...

Hth :D

Pauline
24-12-2009, 07:21 AM
another thing to consider is how secure they are. If you are storing sensitive information can it be accessed by anyone else? Could the storage be hacked?

:)

Bazza
24-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Offline hard drive back-up every time. You have total control of it if there are any problems.

You can get some really cheap external hard drives at the moment and you can set windows to automatically back up your main drives.

I did once use a company called freedrive.com but they are not totally free now and are more like photo bucket, but they do still offer limited storage. They have been going for at least 6 years so may be a good bet.