PDA

View Full Version : why is britain so badly equiped

Blackhorse
23-12-2009, 08:03 AM
for snow and ice????????????????

coming from central europe where we get 10x more snow on a yearly basis it is scary how bad the conditions on the roads are over here.
nobody clearing the roads, nothing done with the pavements outside most houses....no winter tyres for cars.....many people driving like the snow wasnt even there.....

I am really shocked to see how a country that can be sooo OTT on health and safety in certain areas completely fails to keep you safe if it snows for 3 days

mindee might not come today as roads here are very bad....

sue m
23-12-2009, 08:08 AM
It's always been the same here Nicole, they are hopeless mostly. They always say they weren't ready and there is always a weird and wonderful excuse about why the gritters didn't get out, it's the wrong kind of snow or they didn't expect it........ I remember when I was young :rolleyes: going to work 12 miles away on the bus in deep snow and we got there about lunchtime but that was in the 60's. Things have gone downhill. :panic: They say they will be ready next year......but the same thing always happens.

Mollymop
23-12-2009, 08:16 AM
It's cos we are not used to it, we don't get snow like central Europe does each year, mostly we get a flutter of snow a few times a year and that is it. This year and last is the worst snow we have had for decades. It looks as though they will have to buck up their planning for next year as it looks as though this snow is a thing for the future for us here

mama2three
23-12-2009, 08:57 AM
its financial i think. the costs of putting all the required elements together 'in case' get bumped down the priority list . there is simply only so much money and its allocated as the councils / government deem of greatest importance. Other countries cope much better with the snow , but may have poorer health care or benefits systems. If only there was a neverending pot of money! We all complain quite rightly when council tax goes up yet again dont we?

Pipsqueak
23-12-2009, 08:58 AM
I do notice a difference in how different parts of the country react and deal with it - for example the South to the North. Being a Southerner myself when I first moved up North and experienced my first real Northern winter firstly I thought I was going to have to emigrate back down south and then I discovered driving in 'proper' amounts of snow - as opposed to the Souths 1cm of snow that stops the world turning! lol Brian being a through and through northerner - it just didn't phase him. I have now been up north for 12 years and although I still can't stand the snow (whats fun about being cold and wet???) and I won#t drive in those conditions unless I have no other option I am more used to it now.

Its typical though - the eedjits on the road - just travelling down yesterday was interesting - so many pillocks out who have no thought or care for themselves much less any other road users!

sarah707
23-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I remember when living in London things would grind to a halt for no reason... leaves on the tube lines, wrong type of snow... :laughing:

It is more stoically accepted up north, you do get on with it a bit more here :D

ajs
23-12-2009, 09:03 AM
it's a good point though nicole, we can't cope with any extreme, the rain caused flooding, the sun cracks the pavements, the snow floors us completley.

there just isn't the money to spend on equipping the country better,