PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted inspectors handbook information

sarah707
18-12-2009, 10:11 AM
A new Ofsted inspectors guidance to inspection booklet has been released today.

The aim of the booklet it to help inspectors to inspect premises when they are registered on both the Childcare and Early Years (EYFS) registers.

It is document number 080169 and it will be available to view on the Ofsted website.

Here is some information I have pulled out of the booklet that I think you might find useful –

• The early years inspection will take priority, but you must also be able to show evidence of compliance with the childcare register requirements;

• The booklet refers inspectors to the document, ‘Are you ready for your inspection?’ page 10 for a list of paperwork that childminders must have;

• It says that childminders do not need two copies of everything for the different registers - so long as any differences in procedures regarding the early and later years provision are noted;

• Risk assessments should state the ages of children who are able to eg use large garden equipment unsupervised;

• Complaints forms should make it clear whether the complaint refers to the EYFS or the childcare register;

• The childcare register specifically mentions the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, so the inspector will check you comply with the requirement that you are prepared to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to your home or working practices to accommodate the needs of disabled adults or children;

• If there are any differences in your safeguarding procedures between children on the EYFS and the childcare registers, these must be noted in your procedure;

• The EYFS and the childcare register both require childminders to ensure the behaviour of children in the later years age group should not ‘disrupt the early years provision or provide poor role models for the social skills and learning habits of children in the EYFS’. The Inspector will comment on this if she feels the learning and development of younger aged children is being disrupted by older children.

Note that you can be cautioned or prosecuted for failing to comply with the requirements of both registers.

The booklet goes on to list some of the differences between the two registers.

Here are some of the differences that jumped out at me –

• Assistants must be 18 for the childcare register; 17 for the EYFS;

• All 3 registers require (or will require depending on time scales) us to have different levels of qualifications;

• To comply with the childcare registers you must make arrangements with parents for when you cannot provide care. This does not apply to the EYFS;

• Complaints records must be kept for two years on the childcare register and three years for the EYFS.

I hope this helps! :D

Blaze
18-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Thank you:thumbsup:

Zoomie
18-12-2009, 11:17 AM
thank you :D

Twinkles
18-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks Sarah.

I have to say that one of my concerns was that I didn't know enough about the different requirements of the different registers.:thumbsup:

sarah707
18-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I have just checked and the complaints form in free downloads at the top of the forum does ask you to state whether the complaint has been made about the Eyfs or childcare registers.

So that's good then.

It does, however, say that complaints records should be kept for 3 years which complies with the Eyfs - but does not specify 2 to comply with the childcare register.

I will just double check that with the actual childcare register requirements later.

There might be a delay as I may need to contact Ofsted, I've a strange feeling it's contradictory.

Anyway I will change it if necessary... and of course get a new copy to Pauline asap for files.

Why can't they just say the same things? :rolleyes: :D

sarah707
18-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Email to Ofsted time! :cool:

The Childcare Register (document reference 080024, updated Sept 2009) says –

CR7.6 Childminders must produce for Ofsted, on request, a list of such complaints made during the previous three years. Both parts

The EYFS (May 2008) says –

The record of complaints should be kept for at least three years.

Ok so far?

The newly released document ‘Guidance on inspecting providers registered on both the Childcare and the Early Years registers’ (document reference 080169, on pages 21 / 22) says that ongoing requirements for compulsory registration on the childcare register state –

The written record is retained for a period of two years from the date on which any complaint was made.

This, the guidance document for inspectors says, is different from the EYFS because that says –

The statutory guidance to which early years providers should have regard specifies that the record of complaint should be kept for at least three years.

Please clarify which document we are to follow... the inspector’s guidance or the EYFS and Childcare Registers.

:D

TheBTeam
18-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Just more bureacratic rubbish, if this was so perfect why do they feel the need to keep changing it! I will just tell them I keep it for at least three years after the child has left, just in case they eventually make up their mind!!

Twinkles
18-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Email to Ofsted time! :cool:

The Childcare Register (document reference 080024, updated Sept 2009) says –

CR7.6 Childminders must produce for Ofsted, on request, a list of such complaints made during the previous three years. Both parts

The EYFS (May 2008) says –

The record of complaints should be kept for at least three years.

Ok so far?

The newly released document ‘Guidance on inspecting providers registered on both the Childcare and the Early Years registers’ (document reference 080169, on pages 21 / 22) says that ongoing requirements for compulsory registration on the childcare register state –

The written record is retained for a period of two years from the date on which any complaint was made.

This, the guidance document for inspectors says, is different from the EYFS because that says –

The statutory guidance to which early years providers should have regard specifies that the record of complaint should be kept for at least three years.

Please clarify which document we are to follow... the inspector’s guidance or the EYFS and Childcare Registers.

:D

Go Sarah !

Pauline
18-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Go Sarah !

Twinks will hold your coat :D

sarah707
19-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry, registered providers should keep a record of all complaints for a period of 3 years. In September 2009 the Childcare Register requirements were amended from 2 years to 3 years to bring them in line with the expectations of the EYFS.

If you would like further information on this change, the following organisation may be able to provide you with the information you require.

The Department for Children, Schools and Families (0870 000 22 88)

I hope you find this information helpful. However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Al Field

Ofsted - National Business Unit

TEL: 08456 404040

So the complaints form that is in free downloads at the top of the forum is still valid and up-to-date.

Good news! :D

Twinkles
19-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Twinks will hold your coat :D

From very far away !!

Thanks for sorting that out Sarah !

Tink
19-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for checking Sarah superb like always:clapping:

miss muffit
19-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks again Sarah