PDA

View Full Version : Nursery Rhyme Origins

Pipsqueak
17-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Another thread (the PC one) got me thinking. I have been and dug out my book;

Little Bo Peep - during the 18th century smuggling was rife in St Leonards (East Sussex). Captured culprits were detained in the Martello Towes nicknamed Bo-peep (offical residence of queens customs officials)
Lost sheep were the smugglers, tails probably barrels of brandy/rum

Jack and jill - one theory is that its a warning to lovers about pre-martial sex.

from Hey Diddle Diddle by Sam Foster

ITs very interesting

Blaze
17-12-2009, 10:58 PM
More please!:thumbsup:

angeldelight
17-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Cock a doodle doo

The earliest version of this rhyme appeared in 1765 although just the first four lines. The other verses were added later, probably in the 19th century.

It is supposed to have a gruesome origin starting with a young girl witnessing the murder of her three year old brother. To stop her talking the murderer cut her tongue out.

Some years later she was being teased by local children – known as ‘mocking the cock’ – with the words, ‘Cock a doodle dooe, Peggy hath lost her shoe.’

Encouraged by a friend she tried to say the words back to them and miraculously did so. This story was published in a pamphlet in 1606.

Pipsqueak
17-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Ok one more I am knackered and going to bed (will do some more tomorrow)

Little Miss Muffet - Renowne entomologist and author of the first catalogue of native (Brit) insects. He was fascinated by spiders and keeping them as pets. His step-daughter Patience Muffet did not share this passion and was startled during breakfast.
When milk is curdled with acidic substance (ie vinegar) it produces whey andthe lumps are curds (todays nameis cottage cheese)
Or the poem may be talking about Mary Queen of Scots and the spider being John Knox (he being Protestant she being Roman Catholic)- he didn't trust the Queen. Knox was keen to frghten Mary from her throne - or 'tuffet'

A tuffet is a small hillock or mound of grass covered earth then came to mean a low seat in cushioned fabric (ie a pouffe or hassock)