PDA

View Full Version : not fair!

happy days
17-12-2009, 04:47 PM
just got failed on my inspection for not having a written lost child policy! is this fair? she said its a lovely setting and didnt want to fail me but didnt feel she no choice! i have now got to show iam following this up and be re-inspected in a year. I have been minding 4 months .

sarah707
17-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

A lost child policy is one of the ones you MUST have I'm afraid...

You'll find lots of help to write on here - www.bromleycma.org.uk

If we can help at all just let us know as well :D

The Juggler
17-12-2009, 06:47 PM
seems a bit harsh you have this on your record for a year though. Can't you write it up and ask them to come back and re-inspect you earlier hon?

venus89
17-12-2009, 06:50 PM
I agree - I'm surprised they didn't just put it down as an action that has to be comleted by the end of the month...... It seems very harsh. I'd quite honestly ask for an appeal.

caz3007
17-12-2009, 07:04 PM
I failed my recent ofsted inspection too. The Lost Child policy wasnt mentioned at all. I will do that one, just in case when I get reinspected, I lose out on that one.

singingcactus
17-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I didn't think childminders had to have written policies - only to have a policy in place. Of course it is impossible to prove you have one in place if it isn't written down, but seems odd to fail for not having a written policy when childminders don't have to have written policies.
But I could be wrong.

venus89
17-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I didn't think childminders had to have written policies - only to have a policy in place. Of course it is impossible to prove you have one in place if it isn't written down, but seems odd to fail for not having a written policy when childminders don't have to have written policies.
But I could be wrong.

I thought the only one which HAD to be written was the safegjuarding children, although it's good practice to have others written too...... And if we're right then she can't be failed for that purpose......

~Chelle~
17-12-2009, 09:01 PM
But I could be wrong.

From what I understood from my inspection, ALL policies had to be written policies, otherwise how can they see what your policies are?

At the moment Ofsted are red hot on all paperwork, policies, risk assesments, EYFS etc. They want to see everything documented and how you put it all into practise.

You cant just tell them that policies are in place, they actually need to see written proof.

The Bromley Website is fantastic for information on what policies Ofsted require to see and more.

Good luck on your next inspection.

venus89
17-12-2009, 09:07 PM
From what I understood from my inspection, ALL policies had to be written policies, otherwise how can they see what your policies are?

At the moment Ofsted are red hot on all paperwork, policies, risk assesments, EYFS etc. They want to see everything documented and how you put it all into practise.

You cant just tell them that policies are in place, they actually need to see written proof.

The Bromley Website is fantastic for information on what policies Ofsted require to see and more.

Good luck on your next inspection.

A 'policy' is what you will do given a particular circumstance. Policies do not have to be written (excepting the safeguarding children {?} one) BUT it's best practice. Or that's what the NCMA have repeatedly told me...... ;)

sarah707
17-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Information from the Ofsted inspector's handbook!!

I have posted this before but posts get lost so I thought it was worth repeating...

Childminders do not need written policies and procedures but they must be able to explain their P & Ps to parents and any assistants etc...

Unless the childminder is registered on the compulsory and/or voluntary part of the Childcare Register, then the policies and procedures should be in writing.

Very few childminders are only on the early years register.

The expected policies and procedures are listed as -

 a safeguarding children policy and procedure (to include the procedure to be followed in the event of an allegation being made against a member of staff)

 a policy for ensuring equality of opportunities and for supporting children with learning difficulties and disabilities

 a policy for administering medicines, including effective management systems to support individual children with medical needs

 a behaviour management policy

 a procedure for dealing with concerns and complaints from parents

 a procedure to be followed in the event of a parent failing to collect a child at the appointed time

 a procedure to be followed in the event of a child going missing

 a procedure for the emergency evacuation of the premises.

Hth :D

venus89
17-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Information from the Ofsted inspector's handbook!!

I have posted this before but posts get lost so I thought it was worth repeating...

Childminders do not need written policies and procedures but they must be able to explain their P & Ps to parents and any assistants etc...

Unless the childminder is registered on the compulsory and/or voluntary part of the Childcare Register, then the policies and procedures should be in writing.

Very few childminders are only on the early years register.

The expected policies and procedures are listed as -

 a safeguarding children policy and procedure (to include the procedure to be followed in the event of an allegation being made against a member of staff)

 a policy for ensuring equality of opportunities and for supporting children with learning difficulties and disabilities

 a policy for administering medicines, including effective management systems to support individual children with medical needs

 a behaviour management policy

 a procedure for dealing with concerns and complaints from parents

 a procedure to be followed in the event of a parent failing to collect a child at the appointed time

 a procedure to be followed in the event of a child going missing

 a procedure for the emergency evacuation of the premises.

Hth :D

Thank you Sarah - I stand corrected. I wasn't doubting you, it's just that that's ot the information my tutor gave us.... And I trust you to know what's going on far more than I trust her :) Despite this, do you feel it's fair to give an unsatisfactory or do you think an action would have been more appropriate?

Pipsqueak
17-12-2009, 09:28 PM
I know this is going to come across as completely wrong and I don't mean it to but hunny had you not read your EYFS? As Sarah has posted - EYFS clearly states what policies and procedures are mandatory - anything over this is our choice. Being a relatively new minder you should have been talked through lots of this on your ICP or pre-reg briefings and encouraged to read the EYFS book. Someone should have at least told you this is our working procedures.

I know its says we don't have to have written procedures/policy but to my mind - the best and most effective way we can prove we are telling each and every parent the same thing in relation to P&P is to have written documents.

Its a shame but I don't think unfair to have picked you up on it. Perhaps you should have had an action instead of it being on your record but at least it can be expunged after a year.

Do you have a support minder or do you know who your CDO is? Get in touch with them and get them to do their jobs - support you.

I honestly do have every sympathy for you and I hope that once you have righted this hiccup you will dust yourself down and go onto great success. We learn from our mistakes and that was all it was.

Twinkles
17-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I was recently told by an Ofsted inspector that if you get an unsatisfactory you will be re-inspected within six months. Is that different in different areas ?

sarah707
17-12-2009, 09:52 PM
do you feel it's fair to give an unsatisfactory or do you think an action would have been more appropriate?

It's a really tricky one isn't it?

I think purely from an impersonal point of view, not thinking about the person who is posting and is clearly very upset tonight after a difficult inspection, it's very important that the statutory requirements are seen to be upheld.

At the end of the day it's a statutory policy / procedure and if it's not in place then Ofsted have a legal duty to act to safeguard children's welfare.

happy days
18-12-2009, 12:41 AM
hello ladies thank you for your support, your all right i should have had it, I have just done my icp course last week , but I had every other policy on sarahs list, and I feel so stupid for missing it lo, I explained what I would do in the event of it happening, but she said theres no proof behind this theory, oh well live and learn, and i will ask for a appeal for a new grading inspection, as she went through everything I had today with a tooth comb. Nice lady but very through, so they are being more hot on paperwork, I had done so much other paperwork, that i forgot one thing.
But at least she had nothing bad to say about my actual care of children, the other aspects of safety, or hygine, she could see i had started planning based on obs and used next steps, but next time i will be better haha watch out ofsted lol!

angeldelight
18-12-2009, 07:31 AM
hello ladies thank you for your support, your all right i should have had it, I have just done my icp course last week , but I had every other policy on sarahs list, and I feel so stupid for missing it lo, I explained what I would do in the event of it happening, but she said theres no proof behind this theory, oh well live and learn, and i will ask for a appeal for a new grading inspection, as she went through everything I had today with a tooth comb. Nice lady but very through, so they are being more hot on paperwork, I had done so much other paperwork, that i forgot one thing.
But at least she had nothing bad to say about my actual care of children, the other aspects of safety, or hygine, she could see i had started planning based on obs and used next steps, but next time i will be better haha watch out ofsted lol!

Thats the spirt

You will be fantastic next time

Have a nice christmas

Angel xxx

Zoomie
18-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I have to say I only realised that I needed to do a missing child policy when I reread the Statutory Requirement of the EYFS for the 5th time, just before my DO came for my pre-reg visit ... way before Ofsted's pre-reg and first quality inspections.

It is an easy one to miss ... it seems to only be mentioned once, whereas the other policy requirements seem to be mentioned over and over again in the document.

Does seem to be harsh, to be judged so. How did your other judgements come out ?

LittleMissSparkles
18-12-2009, 09:54 PM
OMG :eek: I havent got one of those !!!!!!!!!!!!

venus89
19-12-2009, 10:39 AM
OMG :eek: I havent got one of those !!!!!!!!!!!!

Nor do I but I think it's covered in another of my policies - Ofsted didn't pick me up on it and nor has my network coordinator so I'm hoping that's OK?

bexx
20-12-2009, 11:26 AM

I completely sympathise with you. I too had an inadequate (horrible word) in April. Sarah is right in suggesting Bromley childminding website, they were a real help to me. I had my reinspection after 6 months on Thurs, but the inspector said she could have come between 6-12months. She had me on her list and thought I would like to get it out of the way.
The majority of your inspection sounds excellent, you should feel proud.