PDA

View Full Version : Inspection over-Tea and sympathy please!

bexx
17-12-2009, 01:38 PM
My inspector has just left, and although she was extremely nice, it was a very tough inspection.
I was having a reinspection as I got an inadequate grade in April, due to complete lack of knowledge of how the EYFS works. I was on maternity leave when it came in, and had no support with it, so I was not following it properly.
She was very thorough, and said I was on the verge of being brilliant, but was lacking in some areas, such as evaluating how well my planning had gone (?). And then she said, I think your doing too much paperwork!
She said the report will reflect my progress, which she said is great, and has graded me good in lots of areas, but satisfactory in others, so satisfactory overall.
Just spoke to my network co-ordinator, and she was suprised, as she has visited recently, and thought I would easily get a Good, and said since EYFS has come in, I have made the most progress from the last inspection to now, hands down. She said maybe it is because they do not like to give out Good after inadequate.
Whatever the reason, I am disappointed, and fed up now. I couldn't have done anymore with the knowledge I have.
Starting to wonder if this whole thing is even worth it, with the amount of hours I put in. I love working with the children, but the extra work required is silly now. I am not a school, or a preschool, I just want to look after other peoples children, have fun with them, and send them home happy. Not plan their time with me so I cover 'areas of learning.:(

estrelas
17-12-2009, 01:42 PM
My inspector has just left, and although she was extremely nice, it was a very tough inspection.
I was having a reinspection as I got an inadequate grade in April, due to complete lack of knowledge of how the EYFS works. I was on maternity leave when it came in, and had no support with it, so I was not following it properly.
She was very thorough, and said I was on the verge of being brilliant, but was lacking in some areas, such as evaluating how well my planning had gone (?). And then she said, I think your doing too much paperwork!
She said the report will reflect my progress, which she said is great, and has graded me good in lots of areas, but satisfactory in others, so satisfactory overall.
Just spoke to my network co-ordinator, and she was suprised, as she has visited recently, and thought I would easily get a Good, and said since EYFS has come in, I have made the most progress from the last inspection to now, hands down. She said maybe it is because they do not like to give out Good after inadequate.
Whatever the reason, I am disappointed, and fed up now. I couldn't have done anymore with the knowledge I have.
Starting to wonder if this whole thing is even worth it, with the amount of hours I put in. I love working with the children, but the extra work required is silly now. I am not a school, or a preschool, I just want to look after other peoples children, have fun with them, and send them home happy. Not plan their time with me so I cover 'areas of learning.:(

Awh bless you.
I now its hard but Satisfactory is a good grade! your doing everything you should be.
I know you must be disappointed but try and forget now and get on with the job you love. Over the next three years your bound to get more used to it etc
Not much advise here sorry but chin up xxx
Sending hugs xx

venus89
17-12-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. In my opinion it's often not a case of doing it wrong but rather a case of not articulating to ofsteds satisfaction how you do those things. I bet you cover all areas of learning every day a hundred times over. Cheer up - parents don't seem to care about the grade - it's the personality of the childminder which is what matters xxx

bexx
17-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I was told by my development coordinator to 'sell myself', which I'm not very good at. However, I had a little boy here today, who is out of routine due to his swine flu last week, and his Mum being in hospital with a chest infection this week. He was playing up a little, and so it was difficult to chat too much. I know I did OK, I had loads planned, but she felt to be Good, I needed to have pushed it further. I am child led, so if a child gets down from an activity, then I see it as time to do something else.
I know I should feel OK, but I am mad because I feel I'm doing everything right. I know I'm not outstanding, thats the next goal, but I feel that I should have got Good overall.

LittleAcorns
17-12-2009, 03:30 PM
(

Bless you, I find that really harsh, and I really feel for you.

You get a grade and they want you to improve in areas, which you do, and then they could'nt grade you a good because of what ever reason....crazy!!

a childminder I know got a satisfactory grade as she didnt realise she needed a new certificate when her son turned 5 fair enough, but I was there when the inspector said they have to grade 2 areas as satisfactory, so if you get one, they find another area as satisfactory!!!

Keep smiling, youve obviously worked very hard and should be proud!!!!!! big hugs xxx

Pudding Girl
17-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Satisfactory is such a horrible word isn't it? But at the end of the day it means you are doing exactly as you should be doing :) well done, sounds like it's been a tough few months x

Zoomie
17-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I think you need to give yourself a serious pat on the back.

You have endeared two Ofsted inspections in recent months, and gain a fantastic improvement in that time.

Unfortunately we seem to attach such importance to our Ofsted reports, but please remember that you got a result which had quite a few goods too.

At the end of the day, its our parents and children's opinions that are the only ones that count.

Well done you !! :thumbsup:

Pauline
17-12-2009, 05:43 PM
You should be really, really proud of yourself Bex, not many people would have come back from an inadequate, they would have packed in but you have worked hard and got yourself to the same standard as many childminders who have been doing it for years, including those who have been on EYFS training.

Don't feel down, I know satisfactory does not sounds as nice as good, but it means you are meeting all the Welfare Requirements and doing a good job.

Stand tall and be proud, I think you are fantastic :clapping::clapping:

flora
17-12-2009, 05:48 PM
I got quit downhearted after my inpsection but as everyone says

You are doing a good job :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Be proud and keep making those kids happy :thumbsup:

Lincsminder
17-12-2009, 06:03 PM
do you know I was a bit gutted after my inspection too. I got a good but my development worker couldn't understand why I did not get outstanding. I think what got to me most was I have 4 young children of my own and all mindies are just part of my family so the outcomes for them are the same as my own. So I felt what ever grade she gave me was a reflection on the way I parent. My children are all very happy well adjusted and fairly bright so I must be doing something right. At the end of the day it all depends on your inspector and even though they are supposed to be following guidelines they cant help but comparing to to other settings so if you had a childless inspector who loves nurseries they are never going to see how beneficial a normal loving family home can be. iykwim

Take flora for example ( i hope you don't mind me using you as an example) she didn't get a great inspection report at all, on on the face of it you might not want to send your children there. However I have been to her house and my children had a whale of a time. They were extremely at ease and relaxed with her, which is an ideal state to be in to learn and develop. I would leave my children in her care with out a second thought, knowing she would care for them as her own.
So don't take it too heart only you and the children know if you are doing a good job.

bexx
28-12-2009, 04:17 PM
So I thought this worth sharing...I had a call right before Xmas from my inspector, who was almost apologetic about my grading. She kept saying over and over how good the report would read, and so I asked her why I didn't get Good if the report read that well. She tried to explain that she felt I had not taken the activities to where they could have gone. For example, we were wrapping pretend presents, and I had planned to count these ( for PSRN). She said she had noted we had not done this, but I explained that as the children had left this to do something else of their ow accord, I would have covered this later. As she chose to leave after 3 hours, when I was going to drop a child at a Xmas party, she would have missed this.
And then I said 'is it possible for someone to get a Good grade after an Inadequate?' To which she replied 'there is no hard and fast rule, but it is unusual'
I will wait for the report, but does anyone else no ofa childminder getting Good after Inadequate?:angry:

Daisy1956
30-12-2009, 09:10 PM
You should be proud of what you have done. The parents are happy with the care you provide or they wouldn't keep bringing them to you.:)

Mollymop
30-12-2009, 11:17 PM
You have done really well!:clapping: well done you, you may be disappointed but you got "goods" and that can be hard in the first inspection so please realise that you have done well and don't beat yourself up about it hun.. I am sure the parents all think you are outstanding and that's all that matters

Chin up:)

Chatterbox Childcare
31-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Well done that is a fantastic job done.

If I was you sleep on it for a couple of weeks and wait for the report, if you are still unhappy call the inspector and then appeal. You will have another full inspection but you may get a better grade although satisfactory is still a fantastic grade

Bex1
04-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Firstly sorry I am seeing this post later! Seconday sorry to hear your feeling down in the dumps about your inspection, but as other replies have said, satisfactory means you are doing everything you should, so you should feel pleased.

Becky