PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any New Year superstitions?

Pauline
15-12-2009, 10:13 PM
I wondered if you have any superstitions at New Year, any things you MUST do? Anything you mustn't do? :laughing:

I won't hang calendars or open/use diaries until the 1st January.

Don't know why, perhaps I think it is tempting fate to assume the new year will arrive :laughing:

Trouble
15-12-2009, 10:15 PM
no

should i have some?????:eek:

Pauline
15-12-2009, 10:16 PM
no

should i have some?????:eek:

Definitely, if you want to be normal :laughing:

Blaze
15-12-2009, 10:17 PM
We have to have all decorations down by the 6th.

I also have to be doing something good (usually kissing);) at midnight - start the year as you mean to go on!:)

ajs
15-12-2009, 10:17 PM
no nore here either

Trouble
15-12-2009, 10:18 PM

I also have to be doing something good (usually kissing);) at midnight - start the year as you mean to go on!:)

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Trouble
15-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Definitely, if you want to be normal :laughing:

Bit late dont you think:blush: :blush: :D

ajs
15-12-2009, 10:19 PM

i did always go and kiss the children straight after midnight, now they come and find me

and i always have to be with my hubby (who gets the first kiss)

babs
15-12-2009, 10:20 PM
i wont do any washing or lroning on new years day they say it washes the year away and at my age it goes quick enough .....

LOOPYLISA
15-12-2009, 10:27 PM
i did always go and kiss the children straight after midnight, now they come and find me

and i always have to be with my hubby (who gets the first kiss)

Yep snap, kisses for dd and hubs :thumbsup:

Pauline
16-12-2009, 07:27 AM
i wont do any washing or lroning on new years day they say it washes the year away and at my age it goes quick enough .....

Me neither but for me it is because they say what you do on New Years Day you will be doing for the rest of the year.

So we have lovely food and relax all day (don't think it works though :laughing:)

Mollymop
16-12-2009, 07:55 AM
My hubby won't let me do any clothes washing on New years day, he reakons if I do it will wash away a family member - meaning a death:eek:

So i am kinda superstitious about that one, cos it's so freaky but not normally a superstitious person

PixiePetal
16-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I don't do washing on new years day - I have better things to do :laughing:

Not really keen on NYE any more. The year my dad died, I cried at midnight as he was not coming into the new year and I felt we were leaving him behind. In fact DH, (who's mum had died too) cried, then both kids sobbed cos we were.

Last year I dozed off watchng harry potter dvd and I spilt champagne all over the kids who were snuggled in duvets at my feet :laughing:

No superstitions though.

jelly15
16-12-2009, 08:33 AM
My Grandmother was from Scotland and she passed down the tradition of first footing, when the frist person crossing the threshold has to be a darkhaired male carring a lump of coal, as this would bring good luck into the house especially for the fist woman to kiss him.

As children my sisters and I would push my dad out of the door and he would get coal from the bunker and come in the front door where we would all rush to kiss him.

My DSs and DH are all gingers so I haven't done it in a while.

Tink
16-12-2009, 08:50 AM
I don't. I just hope we get some good news in the new year telling us hubby has the all clear from his operation on Friday.
Plus it's 2010 an even year things go good for us in even years.
2006 we got married
2008 we had our beautiful daughter
2010 ?????????????????

Tatia
16-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Mine is about food. I must always have ham, cabbage and black eyed peas on New Year's Day. Black eyed peas and rice bring luck, ham is a symbol of plenty and cabbage is a symbol of prosperity and riches.

Minstrel
16-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Mine is about food. I must always have ham, cabbage and black eyed peas on New Year's Day. Black eyed peas and rice bring luck, ham is a symbol of plenty and cabbage is a symbol of prosperity and riches.

OH i love the Black Eyed Peas- specially their new song :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
16-12-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't do washing on new years day - I have better things to do :laughing:

Not really keen on NYE any more. The year my dad died, I cried at midnight as he was not coming into the new year and I felt we were leaving him behind. In fact DH, (who's mum had died too) cried, then both kids sobbed cos we were.

Last year I dozed off watchng harry potter dvd and I spilt champagne all over the kids who were snuggled in duvets at my feet :laughing:

No superstitions though.

Better things to do-like having a hangover :laughing: (myself i mean ) :thumbsup:

mamasheshe
16-12-2009, 04:34 PM
we open the front door to let in the good luck of the new year and the back door to let the old year out.